Splinter or another person from San Diego

rlkubi

We are cruising from San Diego in March again and are arriving the day before and staying at the Best Western Bayside Inn. We will also be staying 3 days after and are booked at the Old Town Inn right now. It got great reviews on Trip Advisor. We are looking for a less expensive hotel to keep the cost down. We are not planning on renting a car though. We want to see the zoo and Sea World. Would this be a good place? I understand it is near the trolley. Will it take us to the zoo and Sea World? Thank you for your help!

We also booked the Old Town Inn because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor. In another thread on here, Splinter said that you CAN walk to the trolley in Old Town from here, but he wouldn't do it after dark. Eeeek! :eek: I'll be watching this thread to see what kind of responses you get.

No, the San Diego Trolley does not go near either Sea World or the Zoo. You could take the Trolley one stop north to the Morena station and get on a bus there, or just take a bus from the Old Town Station (it is a trolley and bus hub).

This is the fastest route from Old Town to the Zoo via bus:

TO: ZOO

1. At 09:01 AM take the MTS BUS route 10 CITY HEIGHTS

2. Get off the stop on UNIVERSITY at PARK BLVD at approximately 09:20 AM.

3. At 09:23 AM take the MTS BUS route 7 DOWNTOWN

4. Get off the stop on PARK BLVD at ZOO PLACE at approximately 09:27

AM.

5. walk 0.2 mile W to ZOO

Schedules and maps for your routes

Bus route 10

Bus route 7

Fare Information

Regular Fare: $ 2.25

Senior & Disabled Fare: $ 1.00

For Old Town to SeaWorld it is a little faster:

TO: SEA WORLD

1. At 09:07 AM take the MTS BUS route 9 SEA WORLD/PB/MSSN BCH/OLD TOWN

2. Get off the stop at SEA WORLD at approximately 09:21 AM.

3. walk 0.1 mile NW to SEA WORLD

Schedules and maps for your routes

Bus route 9

Fare Information

Regular Fare: $ 1.75

Senior & Disabled Fare: $ 1.00

You can calculate other destinations and times at this site:

http://www.sdcommute.com/

You might also consider buying a day pass for the Old Town Trolley, which is a commercial hop-on/hop-off tour. You can catch this at the bus station in Old Town as well:

http://www.oldtowntrolley.com/sandiego.htm

Splinter, thank you so much for the great info! Another question, we'll be in San Diego with 4 other couples but only 1 other couple is staying after the cruise. Would you recommend this hotel without renting a car? Or would it be safer to rent the car? We just didn't want to hassle with paying for parking, etc.

Thank you!

http://www.citysightseeing-sd.com/san_diego_tour.asp

Splinter, what about those double decker buses? They have 2 day on/off passes and 2 routes that seem to go to a lot of the places to see in San Diego, including the zoo. Do you have an opinion on them? Their main terminal is also in Old Town, according to the website.

Rlkubi, I hope you don't feel that I'm hijacking your thread! It just seems that we're both looking for some of the same information. :)

http://www.citysightseeing-sd.com/san_diego_tour.asp

Splinter, what about those double decker buses? They have 2 day on/off passes and 2 routes that seem to go to a lot of the places to see in San Diego, including the zoo. Do you have an opinion on them? Their main terminal is also in Old Town, according to the website.

Rlkubi, I hope you don't feel that I'm hijacking your thread! It just seems that we're both looking for some of the same information. :)

I'm not Splinter, but I am in San Diego. My opinion is that unless you are going to run in and see the pandas and run right out again, it's not worth it to pay for a city tour that includes the zoo as a stop. The San Diego Zoo is gigantic compared to almost every other zoo in the nation. It's also expensive.

It takes an entire day to see most of it, and you'll be walking up and down steep canyons. There is a zoo bus tour, which is very enjoyable, but there are many, many animals you can't see at all from there. Once you get done with the zoo, and you're back on your hop-on/hop-off bus, you're going to be too tired to hop off and see anything else that day. Plus none of those tours include the zoo entrance fee, so you're paying full price for both activities, but only doing one at a time.

If you want to see the zoo and you don't have a car, take a cab and plan to spend the day. It's probably less than $20 from Old Town. There's a taxi stand right outside the zoo, so you shouldn't have trouble getting a cab back when you're done.

Lindnet, not a problem at all! I love your picture!

Thanks! Gotta love the King! :D

I'm not Splinter, but I am in San Diego. My opinion is that unless you are going to run in and see the pandas and run right out again, it's not worth it to pay for a city tour that includes the zoo as a stop.

Thanks for the info, caa. When you pay for the bus, you get a 2 day pass...so we were planning to take the bus to the zoo one day, and then take it the next day to see places like Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, Little Italy, and Coronado Island. And you can pay for a combo tour, if you want, so your 2 day pass includes either admission to the zoo, the USS Midway, harbor tours, the Maritime Museum, the Aerospace Museum, or the ferry to Coronado. Of course I'm only reading what their website says, I don't know anything about the company.

I have been looking at the websites.

Right now the plan is to get the 2-day HopOn HopOff Bus Pass.

1 day we will do the zoo, and 1 day, ride around - hopefully ferry to Coronado. DH will not last an entire day at the zoo. We will do the bus tour in the zoo - probably walk for a very short while. Then back to the HopOn Hop Off.

I know that sounds pretty tame - but our old legs don't do the walking canyons anymore.:o

Any suggestions of a nice, but not too expensive place to stay for 2 nights after we get off the Radience that's not far from the San Diego airport?

Also would like near where I'm staying some places to eat, things to see, maybe do within walking distance (SAFE) :rolleyes:. It will be just my DH and I so not interested in zoo or shopping. Where's the action at? :D Not trouble now!

Thanks in advance CJ :) :)

If your are looking for bars and clubs, stick to the Gaslamp Quarter. There are all prices of hotels there (although not as inexpensive as in Mission Valley) where you can walk to all of this. The Gaslamp is less than a mile to the pier. You can either take a cab or the San Diego Trolley to get the the cruise port.

Of course skipping our great Zoo is a mistake unless you absolutely hate both animals and gorgeous plant-life, but each to his own.

Thanks Splinter,

I've been to plenty of zoos with kids while they were small and with the four I'm a nanny to now. As for plant life I have a jungle in my yard that I've done:eek: You don't have to miss out on visiting one zoo with animals or plants to not like it/them. Plants and animals are my life and of course my children/grandchildren. :rolleyes:

Also as for being apart of the action, I guess I was misunderstood.

Of course the way I wrote it I guess it would come across that way.

I'm not interested in the bars but some exciting things to do near motel we're staying at and a real safe area.

Sorry if I confused anyone with what I was asking. :D

Thanks again, CJ :) :)

What do you you define as "exciting"????? This is pretty vague. It sounded like you were looking for clubs and bars. Sorry if our city's natural beauty and Zoo are not exciting enough for you.

Where are you staying? It sounds like you have already booked a motel.

Just because you have seen other Zoos does not mean you should just skip the San Diego Zoo...it is unique.

No, We don't have a motel booked yet, but like I said I'd like to find one close to eaterys and safe. As for what would be around to see and do other than zoo, (we'll only be there a day and half) I was hoping that someone that lives or has been around there could suggest a few nice things to do and see after we get off the ship.

Thanks, CJ :) :)

No, We don't have a motel booked yet, but like I said I'd like to find one close to eaterys and safe. As for what would be around to see and do other than zoo, (we'll only be there a day and half) I was hoping that someone that lives or has been around there could suggest a few nice things to do and see after we get off the ship.

Thanks, CJ :) :)

I live in San Diego and here's what I like to do downtown:

1) Go to the Maritime Museum (www.sdmaritime.com)

2) Go to the U.S.S. Midway (www.midway.org)

3) Go to seaport village for shopping and the Merry-go-round

4) Find a nice place to eat in the Gaslamp Quarter

5) Go to the beach at Coronado

6) Go to old town to see historic sites/shop/eat

The first four are accessible by walking or taking a bike cab, you can take the ferry to Coronado, and the trolley to old town.

Hope that this helps!

I live in San Diego and here's what I like to do downtown:

1) Go to the Maritime Museum (www.sdmaritime.com)

2) Go to the U.S.S. Midway (www.midway.org)

3) Go to seaport village for shopping and the Merry-go-round

4) Find a nice place to eat in the Gaslamp Quarter

5) Go to the beach at Coronado

6) Go to old town to see historic sites/shop/eat

The first four are accessible by walking or taking a bike cab, you can take the ferry to Coronado, and the trolley to old town.

Hope that this helps!

This is what I had planned to do with our day in San Diego before our cruise in November. Don't know if we'll get to the beach on Coronado but the rest is on the plan.

Hello,

My husband and I will be in San Diego on Oct 4th . We are staying at the Del Coronado for only one night and cruising the next day. Are there things to do within walking distance of hotel. Shopping, bars, ect. We also would like to stop at a grocery store before we board the ship for water and soda. Is one nearby? Thanks and looking forward to visiting your wonderful city.

Denise

At the Hotel del Coronado you are within very easy walking distance going north on Orange Ave. to many shops, bars and restaurants. The beach in front of the Hotel del is one of my favorite walking beaches too...you can walk and walk and see very few other people....or sit for a bit an hope that the latest SEAL class jogs by (great eye-candy!!!!). If you are lucky, you can watch jets coming in for a landing over the beach into North Island NAS. There are also some great old mansions along the ocean north of the hotel. Other than that, not a lot of attractions in Coronado, but is it a nice little town.

As far as a supermarkets, there is a Von's in Coronado (868 Orange Ave), and there are two in downtown San Diego not too far from the cruise ship pier...there is Ralph's (101 G St.) which is right across the street from the Horton Plaza shopping mall, and just opened, an Albertson's at 14th Street and Market (further east in the East Village area). There is also a Rite Aid drug store closer to the pier at 1411 Kettner Blvd where you can get sundries, water, soda, etc. Check out Google maps for the exact locations.

Close to your hotel there are these resources:

San Diego Wine & Culinary Center

200 Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA

(619) 231-6400

The Wine Bank

363 5th Ave # 100, San Diego, CA

(619) 234-7487

You can also get good deals on wine at Cost Plus World Market:

372 4th Ave, San Diego, CA

(619) 236-1737

Archived