Why you don't post more?

MSammy

For me it is fear of being flamed and rude responses. I know email and internet responses often come off sounding worse than intended but it still inhibits me from posting more often. You?

Bingo...same with me. Some people can really be rude.

Nah, maybe its because I've never met the people on CC, and I personally have a tendency to open mouth and insert my foot clear up to my knee :D . I do know what you mean, I've looked at some things I have posted and after I see how I could be viewed as being a bit of a jerk or been rude. I try to keep that in mind now. But if I've got a question I've always asked and for the most part I've gotten postive responses from people here.

Ahoy!

I don't know. I found this site this past Spring and have found the HAL bunch to be a 'family' of fairly 'straight shooters' in so far as information of HAL cruises. Yes, there are those that seem to have a 'chip' on their shoulders at times but by and large they are a pretty good group. My only advise would be to develop a 'thicker skin' or just ignore those reponses that offend you.

It's the human condition. And so it goes...

Be well and be sure to post when so inclined. Welcome aboard!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

For me it is fear of being flamed and rude responses. I know email and internet responses often come off sounding worse than intended but it still inhibits me from posting more often. You?

Bingo...same with me. Some people can really be rude.

Don't let the few rude responses inhibit you! Just figure it's their problem if they are rude! I am usually pretty blunt and have a sarcastic sense of humor. I am sure sometimes things can come off wrong in print without the sarcastic tone of a voice. But for the most part I think most people appreciate the helpful information on here as well as some of the silly banter! And of course it's impossible for everyone to agree all the time!

Speak your mind and don't let others keep you from sharing!:)

I probably don't post as much because I am afraid of having the written word misinterpreted!:o I don't worry about flaming, as after 5 years I am pretty "flame-proof".;) I just hate to have people take my statement/opinion wrong because of my inability to write succinctly enough to not offend in this medium!:rolleyes:

Why don't I post more? Because there are only so many hours in a day and I have to occasionally leave the computer to do something constructive, creative or necessary.

Seriously though, I find that if I wait and read most of my questions are answered. I get more involved with posting if I have an upcoming cruise or an occasional issue appeals to me.

I've been flamed once or twice and it does sting, but it doesn't stop me from stating my opinion or sharing information.

Jon, sometimes a question falls down to the bottom of the board pretty fast, depending on the activity some days. If your question doesn't get answers, consider rephrasing it as a new question or, better still, add some clarifying information and see if you get a better response.

Me too, although I do get a lot of good information by just lurking on this board. There are some very prolific posters who won't hesitate to be a little condescending in their responses. I don't think I would voice strongly negative opinions here on the Holland America board without a fire extinguisher in hand. Such posts are frequently met with responses blaming the poster or with a Business 101 lecture.

That being said, the majority of posters seem very friendly and helpful, have a lot of great knowledge, and usually a pretty good sense of humor:)

Still work a 60 - 70 hour week and spend most of my evenings at home desk doing paperwork and read a lot but don't post much anymore.

Not afraid of being flamed BEEN THERE AND HAD THAT DONE TO ME

Try to put levity into my comments and give honest advise when asked for.

Will try to be on more and we have set up our cruise budgets for next five years and it should allow for 20 - 50 days cruiseing per year (hope)

Ruth and Jim

Great responses so far--some made me LOL in recognition of my own feelinings. Love the ask more, answer less response--that one does it for me. But let's hear from more here. How about no spell check? LOL

For me, it's just there are so many more able to respond better than I - and some of it has gotten to be very old after a few years, but I still like checking in.

I don't spend near the time I here that I used to - there are only so many times I can explain, defend, discuss certain subjects. :)

For me, it's just there are so many more able to respond better than I - and some of it has gotten to be very old after a few years, but I still like checking in.

I don't spend near the time I here that I used to - there are only so many times I can explain, defend, discuss certain subjects. :)

I've only been a member 11 months, but your response is exactly the way I feel many days. I will often read just the original post of a thread and then exit.

Still work a 60 - 70 hour week and spend most of my evenings at home desk doing paperwork and read a lot but don't post much anymore.

Not afraid of being flamed BEEN THERE AND HAD THAT DONE TO ME

Try to put levity into my comments and give honest advise when asked for.

Will try to be on more and we have set up our cruise budgets for next five years and it should allow for 20 - 50 days cruiseing per year (hope)

Ruth and Jim

Jim, Glad to see you back posting:)

For 2008 you should think of joining the CC Group doing the Eurodam out of FLL on Oct 18th. I would love to do some shopping with Ruth, we could see who could do the most damage to are CCards:D

As you can tell by the number of posts that I have I too am not shy. I have been told by those that have met me I am type on the boards is how I am in real life:D I will say that I too feared being flamed in the beginning and I definitely was and not to say I will not again but I have learned to not let it bother me. This board really is a friendly family of people who enjoy cruising on HAL. Many love to assist new cruisers and those new to HAL.

After 5-6 years, the questions have nearly all been asked before, numerous times.
The posters that annoy me are those who have obviously done little or no reading before repeating a question that has been beaten to death within the last month! :eek:

Seems that by the time my response is composed the same answer has been posted several times already - so why repeat? Really don't worry about the flames - if you post your opinion on the controversial threads there is always that possibility! I have been impressed with the coolness of the HAL board.

Rex

I don't post much because....

I've never been on a cruise before. :D

I check in about once a day just to LEARN from those kind folks who answer questions that I didn't even know I had. :p

Testing my countdown clock....Just to get into the spirit. :)

After 4 years on this board I can say that i've only been flamed 3 or 4 times and twice I deserved it and apologized.

Just be yourself and don't let this medium intimidate you. You're just as welcome to post here as anyone else and I'm sure that your comments are as valid as anyone else's.

GN

After 4 years on this board I can say that i've only been flamed 3 or 4 times and twice I deserved it and apologized.

Just be yourself and don't let this medium intimidate you. You're just as welcome to post here as anyone else and I'm sure that your comments are as valid as anyone else's.

GN

Right on, Granny!

You know, I am one of those guys who blasts out with my opinion strongly. I think that a free and easy exchange of information and opinions with lots of different viewpoints is what makes this board useful.

What I DON'T think is that this board constitutes my group of friends or even my peer group, or that I need approval or affirmation from them. Frankly I don't care if anybody likes me or not. I guess that makes me pretty flameproof.

When I differ with someone's opinion, I say so. When someone differs with me, I am glad to hear from them. Having a different opinion is far different from flaming, IMHO. But it seems that some sensitive souls are deeply hurt to hear that not everyone feels the same way they do. I don't know what to say to them. I guess the free for all of internet boards is not for them.

What turns me off is the very few posters, and mostly not on this board, that have to try to turn it into something personal every time. There is one poster on a board I post on a lot who has a different viewpoint on a frequently asked question. Any time I venture to express my opinion on that topic, she screams like a stuck hog, gets her panties in a wad, and starts insulting me personally. But guess what -- I STILL express my contrary opinion every time the question comes up. I have just quit responding to her attacks. Eventually the mommytors get her.

Hey, you're all welcome to post here -- post count notwithstanding. It means nothing except loquaciousness and time on one's hands anyhow!:D

Go ahead, fire away!;)

Archived