I'm so Conflicted......... Why Bother??

sail7seas

Perhaps you should correct that to state that your whole idea of a vacation is to get away from work and whatever type of clothes you wear on a daily basis. I work from home in shorts and t shirt most days and then in business attire for meetings and conventions. I do not wear cocktail attire or elegant evening wear to work and enjoy doing so while on vacation. I also enjoy the atmosphere created when others do the same.

The "real world" where people dress like they are mowing the lawn to go to a nice restaurant, church or a Broadway show is not particularly appealing to me. I do not wear jeans or casual attire to any of these venues, despite the choices others may make to do so. Cruising used to provide an escape to a more traditional, elegant world, but that is sadly becoming a memory.

For some of us, dressing up is not the apparent burden it is to others.

We are just back from a wonderful weekend in Grand Cayman and stayed in an elegant hotel where people were beautifully dressed in the evenings for nice dinners. It reminded me of what cruising used to be like before the downward spiral to all too casual, everyday dress.

Dressing for dinner has been a part of cruising for a long time. I have given up the battle to find a line that has not been affected by the lowered standards apparently demanded by today's cruisers.

For us, cruising is no longer our preferred vacation and we have decided to stick with vacations that better suit our need and, yes, resorts with some level of enforced dress codes at dinner in the fine dining restaurants.

caviargal -

Thank you for stating so well what I have been unable to put into words...:)

My second question is: are the people posting with the HAL registered trademark Holland America employees? Just curious.

I tend to think that, if anything, employees would NOT post with official HAL trademarks in their sigs. :)

Anyone with access to HAL's image library can get to those trademarks and logos. Now, whether HAL appreciates that is another story ... I honestly don't know. So, I just use my parrychute. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived