Ship time??

On NCL they do not change according to time zones, onboard time is that of the port from which you originally departed. So if NYC, then Eastern Standard Time. You are told to stay on Ships time, not local time, if any change.

What is HAL's policy? I know they used to change to the local time.. is this still the same?

Laura

On NCL they do not change according to time zones, onboard time is that of the port from which you originally departed. So if NYC, then Eastern Standard Time. You are told to stay on Ships time, not local time, if any change.

What is HAL's policy? I know they used to change to the local time.. is this still the same?

Laura

Hi Laura,

HAL will change time zones. If there is only a small distance (Cabo to Mazatlan) they will not change the extra hour. If you are leaving from NY taking thier 10 cruise they will change time zone's once I believe, but they do follow local time changes.

I know some islands do and some do not parttake in daylight savings time, this is where the confusion comes in. As long as I know ship time is local time, it is better for planning.

Thanks!

Laura

Yes it will be local time. I checked all the islands against the world clock and they are showing it to be 5:51 right now so that is Eastern Standard time. have a great trip!

Yes it will be local time. I checked all the islands against the world clock and they are showing it to be 5:51 right now so that is Eastern Standard time. have a great trip!

I can't speak for all islands, but I know for a fact PR does NOT change to daylight savings time. Therefore when we change the clocks in the Fall (until they are reset in March/April) Puerto Rico is NOT on Eastern standard time. Obviously this only matters if you are sailing in Winter.

San Juan is on Atlantic Time which is one hour later than Eastern Standard Time.
Good to know that the world clock website is wrong.

iflyrc5 and mchell810 are correct - San Juan is Atlantic time zone - but they don't switch to Daylight Savings, so right now they are the same east coast U.S.

On the Noordam 10 day cruise out of NYC they did not swap to local time for Grand Turk but stayed on NY time and then put the clock forward between Grand Turk and Tortola. It was something to do with the speed required to get to GT from NY and loosing an hour would have made the speed to high.

I just needed to know about the ship time. So I thought I would list what island are in which time zone to clarify any confusion. Thank you all for your help.

Cayman, Cuba, Haiti, Jamaica, Turks and Caicos are in Eastern Standard Time (EST) Zone. Five hrs earlier than Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

All other Caribbean islands are in Atlantic Standard Time (AST) Zone, which is one hr earlier than EST or 4 hrs earlier than GMT.

Caribbean islands do not observe daylight savings time between April and October. So during that time period AST and Eastern Daylight Time are the same.

Laura

Speed has to do with elapsed time, not what a wall clock reads. :confused:

Totally agree with you but if the clocks are put forward 1 hour the ship will have 1 hour less to get to the port on schedule and consquently the speed required will go up. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you but if the clocks are put forward 1 hour the ship will have 1 hour less to get to the port on schedule and consquently the speed required will go up. :rolleyes:
WRONG! The scheduled arrival time is adjusted to reflect the planned speed for the journey, not the other way around! :eek:

WRONG! The scheduled arrival time is adjusted to reflect the planned speed for the journey, not the other way around! :eek:

Jtl513, I guess we will have to agree to differ. :)

Enjoy your Panama Cruise if you book it.

Jtl513, I guess we will have to agree to differ. :)
Just can't admit that your way doesn't make much sense, hunh? :D It's far simpler to change the ETA than to try to meet an arbitrary time. Usually the ship arrives comfortably ahead of the ETA anyway.

Just can't admit that your way doesn't make much sense, hunh? :D It's far simpler to change the ETA than to try to meet an arbitrary time. Usually the ship arrives comfortably ahead of the ETA anyway.

Whether it makes sense to you or not it does not change the fact that this is what happened on the cruise and the explanation given.

May I suggest you talk to the Captain or Officers on your next cruise about the simple matter of changing the ETA away from the one set by the company. I am sure they could explain the difficulties better than I could!

May I suggest you talk to the Captain or Officers on your next cruise about the simple matter of changing the ETA away from the one set by the company. I am sure they could explain the difficulties better than I could!
Who said anything about changing the ETA "away from the one set by the company"? When the COMPANY makes up the schedule they reflect what the reality is: X miles times Y knots cruising speed = Z hours and minutes, added to starting time = ETA reflected in local time.

It's preposterous to say that if you change the ship's clock they would have to "speed up" to get there "on time"! If someone knowledgeable told you that, they were pulling your leg, and you fell for it completely. :eek:

Archived