Turtle Bay Catamaran

neverthought

DH and I would love to do this excursion...has anyone done it? If so, how much swimming is involved, DH can swim and I can't, so my question would be are you anchored in shallow water and then swim out to snorkel, or are you anchored in deep water and then snorkel?:confused:

You anchor in about 5-6 feet of water at a private beach. You can snorkle by the rocks on the side of the beach. You don't HAVE to swim. You can stay on the cat, or float around on a noodle or two.

That excursion is great, we LOVED it last year.

I was thinking about this excursion, too. But how hard is it to get off and on the boat from the water? There's a ladder, right?

Yes, there is a ladder. It is a GREAT excursion to take. They also have a couple of kyaks you can take out (at least they did last year). You shouldn't have a problem getting back on the cat from the water.

There are actually stairs on two sides off the end of the catamaran. They have a banana boat they refer to as the yellow taxi that they use to take non swimmers ashore. But you can stay on the boat, float around, snorkel, or paddle kayaks. Whatever you want to do.

Thank you all for your responses, we did a snorkle excursion last year and loved it. What made me a bit hesitant was in the descripition online (NCL excursions link) was it said you must be able to swim, so that kind of threw me off. Everyone has put my mind at ease...and as someone said, I could just stay on the cat, but I really want to be in the water, as long as I can stand up and touch bottom...lol:)

Thanks again everyone!

Neverthought

This may seem like a weird question but it's the only question my mom has.. Is there a bathroom on the catamaran?

Yes there is a bathroom or what is refered to as "The Head" on the catamaran. They even go through the directions as to how to operate it (they don't flush like regular toliets) If you're familiar with port-a-potties , they are like/similar to those.

What types of sea life did you see on this excursion? Did you see any turtles as the name implies? My son absolutely loves turles and tortoises and it would be cool to bring him a photo of one and maybe...just maybe, bring him here one day (this trips is just for us for our anniversary)Does anyone know of any other snorkeling or swimming places that would be good for view of such? Thanks for your help

What types of sea life did you see on this excursion? Did you see any turtles as the name implies? My son absolutely loves turles and tortoises and it would be cool to bring him a photo of one and maybe...just maybe, bring him here one day (this trips is just for us for our anniversary)Does anyone know of any other snorkeling or swimming places that would be good for view of such? Thanks for your help

An excellent place to see the large sea turtles would be Devil's Hole. It is located near the aquarium/zoo on Harrington Sound Road. It is fomerly a cave which roof collapsed during a hurricane years ago and now is a large enclosed pool full of fish and turtles which can't escape. You can go on a catwalk above the pool and feed the fish and turtles with hookless lines. The turtles were raised from hatchlings and are enormous, about 4 feet across and weigh about 200 -300 pounds. I remember there were about 6 or 7 of them swimming near the surface and very visable in the clear water.:)

Hi we saw two turtles while on the eco=kayak tour. But they just popped their head up for a moment. You can also swim at Turtle Bay without a catamaran tour. It is very close to Clearwater Beach, you can walk back to the bar at Clearwater Beach to call a cab.

Hi we saw two turtles while on the eco=kayak tour. But they just popped their head up for a moment. You can also swim at Turtle Bay without a catamaran tour. It is very close to Clearwater Beach, you can walk back to the bar at Clearwater Beach to call a cab.

We loved our visit to Clearwater beach with the great view of the lighthouse. I am guessing that if you continue past the bar and the beach you would end up on Turtle beach, is that right? I was told you could not access Turtle beach from the road. Did you swim at Turtle beach and if so, how did you access the beach?:)

We did see the turtles that frequent that particular area. They had names for them and right now the only one I can remember is Pepe. I went out in one of the kyaks once the boat set anchor and was able to paddle out to where the turtles "hung out" and if I stayed still for a bit they would surface and take a look around. Pepe was prett good size, I think he is the oldest one there.

We loved our visit to Clearwater beach with the great view of the lighthouse. I am guessing that if you continue past the bar and the beach you would end up on Turtle beach, is that right? I was told you could not access Turtle beach from the road. Did you swim at Turtle beach and if so, how did you access the beach?:)

if you walk along the road straight past clearwater beach you will hit a dead end with a huge fence telling you to keep out. look to the left and you'll be staring at turtle beach. if you are on clearwater beach, facing the water, turn right and walk along the beach. at the end you'll come upon some rocks. carefully walk across the rocks and you'll end up on turtle beach

if you walk along the road straight past clearwater beach you will hit a dead end with a huge fence telling you to keep out. look to the left and you'll be staring at turtle beach. if you are on clearwater beach, facing the water, turn right and walk along the beach. at the end you'll come upon some rocks. carefully walk across the rocks and you'll end up on turtle beach

Thanks for the information. We were watching people clambering over the rocks at the other end of the beach. Now I know that they were getting onto Turtle Beach. At that end of the beach, there was what looked like a park with a nice, elevated grassy area. Now that we know, we will have to go back to Clearwater Beach just to check everything out. Just for research purposes of course. LOL. It was odd that the number 6 bus that goes directly to Clearwater was not listed on the bus schedule. The people at the Visitor's Centre had to tell us the times. As the bus only comes once an hour, it is essential to know that information. I just wonder if they are trying to keep the information a secret. There really wasn't very many people though the bar was very nice and clean.:)

It was odd that the number 6 bus that goes directly to Clearwater was not listed on the bus schedule. The people at the Visitor's Centre had to tell us the times. As the bus only comes once an hour, it is essential to know that information. I just wonder if they are trying to keep the information a secret.:)

could be as simple as someone forgot to add it in when they went to press, or that service could have been a late entry. i don't see the purpose of having a clandestine bus public bus service

could be as simple as someone forgot to add it in when they went to press, or that service could have been a late entry. i don't see the purpose of having a clandestine bus public bus service

This is exactly what I didn't understand. I was only aware of how to get to Clearwater because of a guide book (Frommer's which is excellent). The book mentioned that it was available but that you had to get the schedule from the Vistor's bureau rather than the printed schedule. I thought it odd, but perhaps just a local eccentricy, as St. David's Island itself was described as out of the way and not usually visited by tourists. Even on these boards, information about Clearwater beach was very sparse as not very many people had even heard of it. Just like my favorite beach, John Smith's Bay, four years ago it was known pretty much just to the locals. Now I see a lot of references to it on these boards as well as recommendations from the guide books. I hope that Clearwater gets as much attention as it is a very nice beach that is mostly empty. It is too bad as the bar is very nice and the playground and facilities are excellent as well. I would like to see them get more business, and Turtle Bay would seem to be a nice bonus as well.:)

I havent been to Clearwater Beach, but that is one of my plans for our cruise this year. Thanks for the bus info. I didnt realize we could get there by bus, I thought we would have to take a cab!!

OMG you have been on the Majesty so many times and never tried Clearwater Beach? We met a couple who took their first cruise on the Majesty and of course went to Tobacco Bay. The woman said this is not what I came to Bermuda for . . .after seeing the entire beach sand covered with NCL towels from both the Majesty and the Crown, and they took a cab from Tobacco to Clearwater. (The cabdriver suggested it) Same thing happened the previous year to another family we met at Clearwater. There were 20 people there, tops, when we went there this past July, and last July also.

Its funny, we have been to Tobacco Bay, St Catherines and Horseshoe Bay, also the Snorkel Park in the Dockyard, but never Clearwater. One of my friends went to Clearwater 2 years ago the day we did the Turtle Bay Catermaran tour....She loved Clearwater....So that will be one of our destinations this year....

We have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty 9 times, #10 will be on Sept 30. We have also done 5 land vacations in Bermuda. Can you believe we have never been to Clearwater beach? I guess I need to search some of the old threads to get more information on what it offers and how to get there. We use the bus system when ever we are in Bermuda.

We have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty 9 times, #10 will be on Sept 30. We have also done 5 land vacations in Bermuda. Can you believe we have never been to Clearwater beach? I guess I need to search some of the old threads to get more information on what it offers and how to get there. We use the bus system when ever we are in Bermuda.

You take a number 6 bus that says Clearwater Beach on the front. It runs once an hour, which is why you need to know what time it leaves St. George and when it returns. I think it returned from Clearwater Beach around the hour or 5 minutes before. This is a different bus number 6 than the one that goes directly to St. David's lighthouse. While you are lying on the beach, St. David's lighthouse is directly in front of you, the airport is to the left and the reef is to the right (along with Turtle Bay Beach). What is unique is as the catamaran is rounding the reefs on the way to Turtle Bay beach, the planes are coming in for a landing about 100 feet overhead. I have a photo somewhere. The beach itself is manmade with pure, soft white sand. As in Snorkle Park, you need crocs as there are bands of rocks where the sand has erroded. Curiously the water was very buoyant, as though the enclosed bay had a higher salt content. The facilities were excellent with the best playground area on the island for the kids. I will remember to bring some photos with us when we have the meet and greet.:)

Archived