Just Returned From Qm2 Transatlantics

deck chair

I sailed QM2 from Southampton to N.Y. in July 2004 as part of an 80th birthday celebration for my mother-in-law

it was a really beautiful ship, but my husband and I would never do a Transatlantic crossing again because we found it boring not arriving in port every day, as we had done on our Med cruise some years previously

We cruise to arrive, and I think a lot of what the ship had to offer was wasted on us, however, my mother-in-law and the other part of the family really got into it.

I judge a cruise itinerary by the number of sea days. The more the merrier!

Hence a transatlantic is perfect. I find cruising, unless one is very selective as to what one sees, can be very frustrating. Most places need more energy than I am either prepared or able to give to see in detail.

Each to his own, as Carl has said.

Matthew

Hi gang:

For those of you who are sailing over on QM2 and spending time in Europe before sailing back and do not want to carry tons of luggage around Europe or store bags at Waterloo Station or elsewhere, there is an option available.

You are not allowed to store luggage on board the QM2 between crossings. While not at all promoted on the ship for some reason, you can arrange at the purser's office to have your luggage stored at the pier for a charge. When you return to the ship for the return crossing, your luggage will be waiting for you in your cabin. I found it a very convenient although apparently little known service. I don't know why this service is not advertised aboard the ship.

Deck Chair

May I ask what the cost for this was? We were unsuccessful in getting any information of this sort from Cunard and have arranged to leave our cruise luggage at a LoknStore in Southampton -- a doable arrangement but one that takes a bit of time to manage. Thanks.

Hi gang:

As I mentioned, there is nothing more beautiful than a full moon rising over the North Atlantic on a crossing. BUt, of course, almost as equally as beautiful is a setting sun on the North Atlantic, out in the middle of nowhere....Try it. I think Ray Rouse, the cruise director, ought to schedule the string quartet for a sunset champagne concert on the aft deck, a celebration of sorts. I think a lot of people would attend.....the sun loves concerts celebrating its existance....Ben, please pass this idea along to Ray...

Deck Chair

Archived