Just Returned From Qm2 Transatlantics

deck chair

I was on the April 18th crossing and loved everything about the ship except for one thing: King's Court. The idea of a self service, carry-your-own-tray, buffet is an abomination on board any ship, let alone a great liner. As someone who travelled on liners in the 70s and 80s, there was no such thing. Even if, at night, there is waiter service, you're stll dining in an atmosphere like some American shopping mall. Cunard would do well to do away with it and use the space for a fourth elegant restaurant. They could split the Britannia cabins into two sections and assign the higher level cabins to Britannia and the lower level to this new restaurant, or the other way around, somewhat like the Caronia/Mauritania split on the QE2. In this way, there most likely could be open seating in both restarants. I think also, that all the endless postings about dress could be done away with, since it's the presence of King's Court that prompts people to dress other than required. I agree with Judy and Steve. One night I was in the Champagne Bar before dinner, and decided to take the atrium elevator to deck 7, and walk down to the Queens Grill. Mistake! The presence of people casually dressed really detracts from the ships atmosphere. These people then wander around in the other public rooms dressed the same way. Traditionally an ocean liner's dress code pertains to all public rooms from around 6PM on, not just to the restaurants. As I said in another post, the only people who should be carrying trays on a ship are the waiters.

Last year for the first few times we made our way to the Princess Grill we got off the elevator and had to walk through the noise and chaos of the King’s Court. First B elevators then C elevators before we figured out that the D elevators took us to Dinner. I really disliked that the entrance to the Princess Grill is across from the King’s Court entrance. When you’re dressed for dinner turning left into the Princess Grill casually dressed guest are turning right into the King’s Court I think it detracted a bit from the Princess Grill experience.

steve

You have hit the nail right on the head there Steve!

My Wife and I found that sometimes having to 'run the gauntlet' with excited shouting children and other over-casually dressed passengers entering from on deck to go into Kings Court, together with the clatter of cutlery and general high ambient noise level emanating from Kings Court, did detract somewhat from the "Elegant Dining Experience" that Cunard invites us to enjoy in the Princess Grill.

When exiting the 'D' lifts (elevators) on one 'formal' night, we were almost made to feel as if we were entering a motorway service area wearing Fancy Dress clothes!

The Maitre d' at the entrance to the Princess Grill was regularly having to ask "Can I help you Sir" to the many passengers who exited the aft entrance from Kings Court and simply kept walking straight ahead into the Princess Grill restaurant.

Fortunately the above did not detract from the superb service and excellent cuisine that was on offer - once we had made it into the restaurant!

The experience of those passengers dining in the Britannia restaurant was obviously somewhat different, as they did not have this experience (up to six times per day), when entering and leaving their restaurant.

The above, together with the array of 'Market Stalls' selling cheap shoddy goods in and around the Grand Lobby area, does tend to taint ones impression somewhat, and certainly dilutes Cunard's claim that "Every vivid experience on these decks becomes one that is truly iconic". :confused:

David

Which brand do you recommend?

Fabio tells me that the Amalfi lemons are the best (Fabio is Neopolitan) but I have normally bought the Capri ones as I've been there.

To be honest, Fabio keeps me supplied. The last bottle he bought was Villa Massa in Sorrento.

Ask Fabio in January - he'll tell you more than you want to know!

Matthew

Fabio tells me that the Amalfi lemons are the best (Fabio is Neopolitan) but I have normally bought the Capri ones as I've been there.

To be honest, Fabio keeps me supplied. The last bottle he bought was Villa Massa in Sorrento.

Matthew

Dear God, NO! Matthew! I have a bottle sitting right here.

It tastes like Sewer sludge!

There are so many better brands. Ugh!

this is just yuck!

I hate to waste, so i have been drinking it a bit at a time. Gulping it down so it doesn't linger on the palate too long!

I'll have to bring you some decent limoncella if we ever meet!

BTW, Fabio is Strawberry Vanilla and Chocolate Ice Cream?

Karie,

who knows good Limoncella. Villa Massa isn't it!

Now some good Amarula...

Matthew

this is just yuck!

I hate to waste, so i have been drinking it a bit at a time. Gulping it down so it doesn't linger on the palate too long!

Karie,

Now some good Amarula...

Matthew

this is just yuck!

Karie,

Now some good Amarula...

Matthew

this is just yuck!

Karie,

Now some good Amarula...

There is lots of chatter about the Kings Court but what about the Boardwalk Cafe? Has anyone eaten there? What is it like?

It's small, mostly burgers, etc. on a small cafeteria-type line. The only table service was bar waiters. I think we ate up there one lunch on a Caribbean cruise a few years back. The problem is it's up top where the wind is such an issue while she's sailing, so it isn't open all the time. If you're on board for lunch while in port, they have umbrella tables and it's pleasant.

Kathy

Matthew

I've got a bottle of limoncello at home--no idea what kind it is, but it's quite good. Wonder if it would be Fabio-approved? ;)

(This message was/is entirely unnecessary--I just wanted to type the name Fabio.)

Poor old Fabio isn't going to know what hits him in January - the poor chap is getting (in)famous without his knowledge!

Matthew

"Poor old Fabio" would likely expect nothing less!

Does Fabio also like Campari? Fabio, Fabio, Fabio...:cool:

I sailed QM2 from Southampton to N.Y. in July 2004 as part of an 80th birthday celebration for my mother-in-law

it was a really beautiful ship, but my husband and I would never do a Transatlantic crossing again because we found it boring not arriving in port every day, as we had done on our Med cruise some years previously

We cruise to arrive, and I think a lot of what the ship had to offer was wasted on us, however, my mother-in-law and the other part of the family really got into it.

We have just done Liberty of the Seas western caribbean, another gorgeous ship, but not as beautiful as QM2. Ideally, we would love to sail QM2 in the Med, but have not yet found the right itinerary, but we will keep looking.

I sailed QM2 from Southampton to N.Y. in July 2004 as part of an 80th birthday celebration for my mother-in-law

it was a really beautiful ship, but my husband and I would never do a Transatlantic crossing again because we found it boring not arriving in port every day, as we had done on our Med cruise some years previously

We cruise to arrive, and I think a lot of what the ship had to offer was wasted on us, however, my mother-in-law and the other part of the family really got into it.

We have just done Liberty of the Seas western caribbean, another gorgeous ship, but not as beautiful as QM2. Ideally, we would love to sail QM2 in the Med, but have not yet found the right itinerary, but we will keep looking.

Boring? Oh, I am sorry you felt that way. Were there no speakers that caught your interest? Cunard's transatlantics probably have the most extensive programming of any voyage out there.

For me, the ship is the destination (especially when it's QE2, but for other ships as well), and ports are nice extras. I love sea days. I can sit in a deck chair and just watch the ocean go by. Although the last time I did a TA on QM2 there were so many good programs, it was hard to get to everything I wanted to do and still have time to stare at the sea.

I'm glad you liked the ship. Keep checking the itineraries. There's so much to do in the Med, eventually you'll find the combination of ports you like.

Kathy

I sailed QM2 from Southampton to N.Y. in July 2004 ... it was a really beautiful ship, but my husband and I would never do a Transatlantic crossing again because we found it boring not arriving in port every day ... We cruise to arrive ...

You both are on the "ship as transportation" side of the great bifurcation; my wife and I are on the "ship as destination" side. (I am certain that God is on neither side; therefore, we may discuss our differences peacefully.) We would be delighted if the QM2 schedule for every quarter consisted of two "10-day NYC-Southampton-NYC" crossings, two "15-day NYC-Southampton-NYC" crossings, and two "20-day NYC-Southampton-NYC" crossings. A five day one way crossing is a bit faster than the present six day, but easily doable. The 15 and 20 day crossings that I propose should be "scenic crossings" at a 20+ knot speed (e.g. "Look, Mom, Greenland!", "Wow, the Azores!", "The Canary Islands don't look much like birds, do they?".

Paul

"The Canary Islands don't look much like birds, do they?".

Paul

Ah! But that's because they are actually the DOG islands (as in Canis and canine.) But I suspect you knew that didn't you, and threw it out there just to see who you could snag!

But I like your idea!

Karie,

hook, line,and sinker!

my husband and I would never do a Transatlantic crossing again because we found it boring

Thanks for posting. This should be a warning to all of us who like to believe our enthusiasm for Cunard had to apply to everybody. When somebody asks "Would I like this Cunard voyage?" "Is the Qxx for me?" the answer should not be "Sure, everybody will feel great" but a serious consideration if the individuals preferences are met on Cunard or the specific voyage. There are so many reasons why somebody might feel better with another option.

Personally I love sea-days may they be in a row on a transatlantic or on a cruise.

Archived