Photo Books

Do I have to download the programon My Publisher in order to make a book? Or can I just upload the photos from my computer and arrange my book? I really don't want to download any programs that is why I have used Shutterfly in the past.

yes, you do have to download their program. Also, if you are not going to use mypublisher, read the thread that I just started about Kodak Gallery. I am really disappointed with their (lack of) customer service. Shutterfly is a better option. They also have a photo cover (not as nice as mypublisher, but a fine one)

Do I have to download the program on My Publisher in order to make a book? Or can I just upload the photos from my computer and arrange my book? I really don't want to download any programs that is why I have used Shutterfly in the past.

Yes, on MyPublisher (and Picaboo as well) you do have to download the program to your computer. For my purposes this is a plus because that way I can work on the book when I don't have an internet connection, such as on sea days during my cruise since I have a laptop and will be taking it with me! :D

Deborah

Yes, on MyPublisher (and Picaboo as well) you do have to download the program to your computer. For my purposes this is a plus because that way I can work on the book when I don't have an internet connection, such as on sea days during my cruise since I have a laptop and will be taking it with me! :D

Deborah

Great idea to work on your book while on the ship...that way you will be (in almost) real time, and can remember EVERYTHING without referring to the ship's daily paper, or pamphlets that you (often) get at different excursions. That way you also have all of your photos already uploaded to your computer just in case something happens to your memory card or camera (ugh)...I see you leave in a week.....can't wait to hear (and see) all about it.

Great idea to work on your book while on the ship...that way you will be (in almost) real time, and can remember EVERYTHING without referring to the ship's daily paper, or pamphlets that you (often) get at different excursions. That way you also have all of your photos already uploaded to your computer just in case something happens to your memory card or camera (ugh)...I see you leave in a week.....can't wait to hear (and see) all about it.

Thanks! As you can imagine, we are getting pretty excited! I'm sure I'll have a lot to share when I get back. :D

Deborah

Has anyone here ever tried Hoorray photo books. I think they too print and mail books of your travels and everyday events. Anyway here is my Europe photo book from Shutterfly:

Views: 327

Comments: 26

Copies made: --

Favorited: --

Our 2007 AdventureEmail to a friend

Description:

Travel Europe | 12x12 Memory Book | Pages:20 | Posted:Apr 3,2008

Last summer we cruised on board the Splendour of the Seas and had an amazing time. We visited Venice, Croatia, Greece and Turkey. And would do it again in a heartbeat. I just love to cruise and travel.

Link to photo book in the Shutterfly Gallery:

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDFg3bOW7Vy1YgMwrAiM

hope this link works.:) You don't have to be a member of Shutterfly to view the book.

Loved looking at your photobook.

Got a question, when you were in Greece (looks like Santorini) did you get to see as much as you would have liked being on a cruise, or would a land vacation there been a better option? I have always wanted to see Santorini, and really want to spend a night at least, did you get to stay a night somewhere there? Just wondering. Thanks.

Loved looking at your photobook.

Got a question, when you were in Greece (looks like Santorini) did you get to see as much as you would have liked being on a cruise, or would a land vacation there been a better option? I have always wanted to see Santorini, and really want to spend a night at least, did you get to stay a night somewhere there? Just wondering. Thanks.

I felt that we did get to see what we wanted to see. We went to a wine factory with tasting and the chance to buy if you wanted. Which we did. We went to Oia and saw all the tiny alleys and beautiful domed churches. We had free time to shop and we also went to have lunch at a local restaurant in Fira. The BEST tomatoes I have EVER tasted in my life!! Then we did go back to the ship so we were there just for the day. And friend of mind liked Santorini so much the first time she went which was on a cruise that the second time around she went for a week. She stayed at the Mystic Hotel (I believe that is the name) in Oia.

BTW, thanks for viewing my photo book.:)

It sounds like you did alot in a day and had fun there. I have heard different opinions about it, and always wanted to stay in one of those cave rooms. They are mostly small family owned houses that thye make several units out of, I think, and then there are the larger places too.

The tomatoes must be so good from all the volcanic ash in the soil there.

Thanks for sharing your memories, Greece is a dream vacation for me, someday.

Has anyone here ever tried Hoorray photo books. I think they too print and mail books of your travels and everyday events. Anyway here is my Europe photo book from Shutterfly:

Views: 327

Comments: 26

Copies made: --

Favorited: --

Our 2007 AdventureEmail to a friend

Description:

Travel Europe | 12x12 Memory Book | Pages:20 | Posted:Apr 3,2008

Last summer we cruised on board the Splendour of the Seas and had an amazing time. We visited Venice, Croatia, Greece and Turkey. And would do it again in a heartbeat. I just love to cruise and travel.

Link to photo book in the Shutterfly Gallery:

http://community.shutterfly.com/gallery/post/start.sfly?postId=/gallery/1/post/GMGDFg3bOW7Vy1YgMwrAiM

hope this link works.:) You don't have to be a member of Shutterfly to view the book.

Great photo album. We are going to cruise Europe next summer and your photos make me want to go sooner rather than later! Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like you did alot in a day and had fun there. I have heard different opinions about it, and always wanted to stay in one of those cave rooms. They are mostly small family owned houses that thye make several units out of, I think, and then there are the larger places too.

The tomatoes must be so good from all the volcanic ash in the soil there.

Thanks for sharing your memories, Greece is a dream vacation for me, someday.

Yes we did do alot and I hope you do get to go one day soon. Whether by cruise or several days on the island you will love it. And tey the tomatoes. They were to die for. My kids still remember how tasty they were. YUMMY!!!:D

Great photo album. We are going to cruise Europe next summer and your photos make me want to go sooner rather than later! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you liked the photo album. You will love Europe. This year no cruise for us, But we too are going back next year and I can not wait!!! Hope that we can share our photos then.:D

Hello!

A few questions for those of you that are already enjoying the digital books that are now available! I have decided to try doing one but have a few questions:

I guess I'm wondering what is the next step after you have loaded your pictures on the computer. I know to not work on the original file of pictures - so copy to a 'working' folder. Then do you edit the pictures and then apply to the pages that you plan to up load for your book? Or copy the pictures to the pages and work on them there?

Do I sound a little confused? - I am. :confused:

Thanks!

Hello!

A few questions for those of you that are already enjoying the digital books that are now available! I have decided to try doing one but have a few questions:

I guess I'm wondering what is the next step after you have loaded your pictures on the computer. I know to not work on the original file of pictures - so copy to a 'working' folder. Then do you edit the pictures and then apply to the pages that you plan to up load for your book? Or copy the pictures to the pages and work on them there?

Do I sound a little confused? - I am. :confused:

Thanks!

With the books that I made on Shutterfly I upload the photos from my computer and make a folder/album. Then I pick the photos I want to use and check them off. Then you pick what size you want your book to be. You pick the theme and page designs and format. Then just drag the photo onto the page. Add your text and font. You can always delete and edit which photos you want. Then you preview the book before purchasing it. It is easy and fun to make. Give it a try. I hope I explained myself clearly.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas here! I didn't know there were so many publishers to choose from. I've only used Shutterfly and have been happy with them. Just wanted to let you know about some good offers out there in case you haven't seen them. My Coke Rewards is offering a free (20 pages, I think) 8x11 classic photo book from Snapfish. It's 285 points, and you only pay the shipping charge. Also, if you have a Delta Skymiles account, you can get a free 20 page 8x8 book from Shutterfly. The Snapfish freebie is good until January and Shutterfly until late August.

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot thank you all enough for showcasing photobooks. I had heard of them but never thought of doing one. I used to do photo albums in the old days, then got our first digital Kodak camera and now have a much more sophisticated Olympus SP-550. I have been printing photos for the albums but it takes a lot of paper and ink so never printed everything I would have liked.

I ended up with MyPublisher since the comments seemed to indicate it had the best combination of options and looks. It may be more expensive than some other companies but it's all relative - compared to the cost of the cruise, that is! So now after several days of editing, one day of selecting, and about five hours of assembly - we have a photobook! Hopefully the link will stay...

http://www.mypublisher.com/bookstore/book_viewer.py?d=tq%3Ey-cppl%60je%3E33%3A9732

I did find MyPublisher very easy to work with - I used the Travel theme since it had the best selection of templates for my purposes and loved the flexibility of adjusting the photos to fit. I even found ways to both insert our panoramic photos and create pseudo-panoramics. I wasn't crazy over some of the backgrounds in this theme and felt the fonts were limited and only came in black. And sometimes it wasn't easy to fit the photos I wanted to use into the horizontal and vertical options in the templates. More choices! More choices!

And the worst part was that I thought I was uploading for purchase and finally realized nothing was happening - turns out we needed Internet Explorer 7 and our old computer only had IE6 - we always use Firefox. Luckily DH's work laptop did have IE7 so one day and several frustrations later, success!

Now I just have to wait for the books to arrive - my cost was just under $50 so couldn't use the 20% code but did use the free second book code so for only the additional shipping of about $4 get two copies. (I figured I might want an extra cover in case the first one gets damaged.) And now I want to go back through old vacations and make more books. Definitely addicting.

Again, many thanks to the always helpful CC'ers!

I cannot thank you all enough for showcasing photobooks. I had heard of them but never thought of doing one. I used to do photo albums in the old days, then got our first digital Kodak camera and now have a much more sophisticated Olympus SP-550. I have been printing photos for the albums but it takes a lot of paper and ink so never printed everything I would have liked.

I ended up with MyPublisher since the comments seemed to indicate it had the best combination of options and looks. It may be more expensive than some other companies but it's all relative - compared to the cost of the cruise, that is! So now after several days of editing, one day of selecting, and about five hours of assembly - we have a photobook! Hopefully the link will stay...

http://www.mypublisher.com/bookstore/book_viewer.py?d=tq%3Ey-cppl%60je%3E33%3A9732

I

Took a look at your book and I really liked it.:) I liked the layout and so many great photos. I'm sure you will love this book and see it over and over again {and share with family & friends} and remember the wonderful cruise experience. Thank goodness for these photo books. What a great invention.:) Many thanks for sharing. I know this book will be the first of many more to come.

I have to chime in here because you guys on this board have helped me too in deciding on a photo book following my Alaskan cruise. Here's a link to my book which should arrive early next week! I can't wait to have it in my hands!! :D

http://www.mypublisher.com/bookshelf/bookviewer.py?d=cppl%60je%3e33:946:-tq%3e2

Thanks again.

Deborah

I have to chime in here because you guys on this board have helped me too in deciding on a photo book following my Alaskan cruise. Here's a link to my book which should arrive early next week! I can't wait to have it in my hands!! :D

Thanks again.

Deborah

Can I just say WOW!!! I loved your photo book. You covered everything possible. The wildlife, excursions, towel animals, food, glaciers, etc. I loved the sunset photo. BEAUTIFUL! You had amazing time and it even brought back memories for me.:D I bet you will treasure this book for years to come. What a wonderful way to remember a special vacation. Thank you Deborah for sharing with us on CC. Job welll done and I want to see more of your book in the future.

Thanks again.

Deborah

Loved looking through your photobook.

I am convinced the MyPublisher is the way to go. I love the clean lines and minimal 'foofoo' on the pages too. Great photobook, I bet you can hardly wait to see it in real life !!!!

Thanks to both of you for the compliments! I did have a great time and, you're right, I'll enjoy the memories tremendously. The good news is that my book has been shipped (finally;)) and should arrive tomorrow. Yeah!! I can't wait to give my mother her copy!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Deborah

Thanks to both of you for the compliments! I did have a great time and, you're right, I'll enjoy the memories tremendously. The good news is that my book has been shipped (finally;)) and should arrive tomorrow. Yeah!! I can't wait to give my mother her copy!

Thanks again for your kind words.

Deborah

These books are so addictive. You may find yourself making them for holidays, birthdays, a family wedding. But the vacation books are priceless. You will look back for years to come and recall your amazing adventures. What a great invention!!! Don't you think?:D

Deborah, Thanks for sharing your book. I really like it and your pictures are great.

I used Picaboo for my Alaska cruise. I wanted a custom hard cover and an at least 8.5 x 11 layout. Picaboo seems to have the most choices for page layouts, too, with a variety of text boxes and full page layouts up to collages with 34 pictures. As I had a lot of pictures I wanted to use (and didn't want to pay for a 200 page book!:eek: ), I thought this would be great. However, if you put more than 4 on a page (or the big 6 pic layout without text), the pictures seem very small. Also, I think some of the little ones seem dark, too, but maybe they are just too busy for their small size.

The software was easy to use. I edited my pictures before starting the book, but their software doesn't alter your pictures (maybe saves a small copy of it?) Unlike 'my publisher' you can't share a copy by posting a link, but you can enter people's emails so they can view it (or order it). You can use your own pictures as page backgrounds or the ones in their software, or there's a ton online you can drop & drag into the book. Also, when I signed up with them I got a coupon for 50% off my book, so I got a 42 page book for about $40. I will probably use picaboo again, but will not use the layouts with smaller shots, and may brighten my shots a bit more than I normally would.

Deborah, Thanks for sharing your book. I really like it and your pictures are great.

I used Picaboo for my Alaska cruise. I wanted a custom hard cover and an at least 8.5 x 11 layout. Picaboo seems to have the most choices for page layouts, too, with a variety of text boxes and full page layouts up to collages with 34 pictures. As I had a lot of pictures I wanted to use (and didn't want to pay for a 200 page book!:eek: ), I thought this would be great. However, if you put more than 4 on a page (or the big 6 pic layout without text), the pictures seem very small. Also, I think some of the little ones seem dark, too, but maybe they are just too busy for their small size.

The software was easy to use. I edited my pictures before starting the book, but their software doesn't alter your pictures (maybe saves a small copy of it?) Unlike 'my publisher' you can't share a copy by posting a link, but you can enter people's emails so they can view it (or order it). You can use your own pictures as page backgrounds or the ones in their software, or there's a ton online you can drop & drag into the book. Also, when I signed up with them I got a coupon for 50% off my book, so I got a 42 page book for about $40. I will probably use picaboo again, but will not use the layouts with smaller shots, and may brighten my shots a bit more than I normally would.

Do you have a link to your book that you care to share with us.? Love to view your book.:)

I'm posting a link to the second of three photo books that I made with Shutterfly for our Hawaii trip in June. The "chapter" heading pages were done with digital scrapbooking templates from Smilebox. Each of the three books contains photos and a travel journal for four of the twelve days of our vacation. I've been using Shutterfly to make photo books for almost four years and have been pleased. I take TONS of photos, and making the photo books ends up being as cheap or cheaper than printing 4x6s and buying albums for them. Also, I like the option of using full-page and two-page photos. I also color-code the album covers (black for Disney, blue for cruise, burgundy for special events, tan for year-in-review books).

Here's the link to the second album....

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BaNmLNy1ZNPW

I'm posting a link to the second of three photo books that I made with Shutterfly for our Hawaii trip in June. The "chapter" heading pages were done with digital scrapbooking templates from Smilebox. Each of the three books contains photos and a travel journal for four of the twelve days of our vacation. I've been using Shutterfly to make photo books for almost four years and have been pleased. I take TONS of photos, and making the photo books ends up being as cheap or cheaper than printing 4x6s and buying albums for them. Also, I like the option of using full-page and two-page photos. I also color-code the album covers (black for Disney, blue for cruise, burgundy for special events, tan for year-in-review books).

Here's the link to the second album....

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8BaNmLNy1ZNPW

BEAUTIFUL!! I truly loved your book. The photos are amazing and some of my favorites were pages 26,27,38,39,60,61. What a great way to remember you cruise to Hawaii. I love the scrapbooking elements. You did an amazing job on this book. Thanks for sharing with us here on CC. I give you 5 stars {*****}:D

Archived