Possible extra fare when doing air deviation

happy cruzer

Most cruise lines say that they charge an air deviation fee plus any possible extra fare to provide you input into your flights. (In my case, Oceania).

I was even told by a TA that you will not know the extra amount until after the flight is booked and then you are stuck with it. I thought that sounded like writing a blank check.

So my question is: If you do the air deviation, do you get to know your options including total price (the deviation fees plus any extra) before the air is booked? How is that logistically handled, does the TA but you on hold while it is worked with the cruise air desk?

PS I do understand that once you start the air deviation process you will be charged the fees even if you take the flights that are already assigned. I'm just trying to figure out how not to pay too much extra fare.

Once I get the answer to this, I'll try to get it added to the sticky on air deviation. Thanks.

I just did this through my TA with NCL. NCL gave me a quote and I had 48 hrs to say yes or no. There would of been no extra fees to ask and if I didn't except it I would have to take what they had already set up. It's very expensive.

Gregg

It may vary by cruise line. On an upcoming trip our TA was able to review our air before it was confirmed. We got what we asked for at no additional price but again that will likely vary by cruise line. The key is to get the facts from your TA from the cruise line before anything is done.

Keith

Most cruise lines say that they charge an air deviation fee plus any possible extra fare to provide you input into your flights. (In my case, Oceania).

I was even told by a TA that you will not know the extra amount until after the flight is booked and then you are stuck with it. I thought that sounded like writing a blank check.

So my question is: If you do the air deviation, do you get to know your options including total price (the deviation fees plus any extra) before the air is booked? How is that logistically handled, does the TA but you on hold while it is worked with the cruise air desk?

I believe there was an explanation on the Oceania forums but in a nutshell

You submit the flights you want to your TA who submits them to O

O will send back the choice if there is an extra charge and you have 48 hrs to accept them or not

If there is no extra charges to the flights you picked then they will automatically book them and charge you the $75. pp deviation fee

So your TA should tell you if there is an extra charge for the flights before you decide yea or nay

Lyn

Thanks everyone.

So you ask for particular flights??? Do you have one choice or a whole list of what you would except? Seems like there should be alittle info going back and forth. Like are there any direct flights on any airline available or what might be available on your favorite airline for no charge. But if you have to submit a particular flight on a particular date seems a bit limited.

Also if they have not assigned your flights yet, do they assign them and then you get to request an air deviation if you need it?

Also I know my TA should answer these questions, buutt I like to know the REAL answer before I get the answer my TA is comfortable with. Sometimes I get the easy way answer but then I'm paying not much commission so I do expect to have to do some of the work. all help appreciated and yes I searched Oceania board but did not find the info I needed (well there is a thread there but I got very confused in it with people saying almost the same thing but not quite) and thought that if the answer was fairly generic this would be the place to come.

Thanks everyone.

So you ask for particular flights??? Do you have one choice or a whole list of what you would except? Seems like there should be alittle info going back and forth. Like are there any direct flights on any airline available or what might be available on your favorite airline for no charge. But if you have to submit a particular flight on a particular date seems a bit limited.

If you do not do a deviation the cruise line will assign you flights to get you to the ship the day of departure and on the date of debarkation for the return.

However if you want to go earlier or stay later then I would either book your own flights and take the air credit or try for a deviation (recommended for Europe flights)

Then do a search for flights to/from the embarkation/debarkation cities and the dates you want

try Kayak.com

If you find non-stop flights or better time schedule ask O for those flights and see if there is an extra fare charge.

My TA said to submit one routing at a time then if the fare costs more than you want to pay you can decline and try another routing.

Once you submit a routing & there is no extra fare charges Oceania will book that flight with the deviation fee as stated above.

Hope that helps

Archived