Blow dryers in cabins...

Cruzfan34

I've stopped taking my blow dryer along, it's just too much extra weight.

Ask the cabin attendant for an extra towel and towel your hair as well as you can. After applying your product of choice (if any) flip your head over, drying it at the roots, continuing down to the ends to get out excess moisture. Then flip your head back up, continue with styling.

It takes me a couple more minutes, but not having to haul along a blow dryer is worth it.

I don't lug my hair dryer along either. It does take a little longer than at home, but it's not bad, for me. I have shoulder length, straight, medium thickness hair.

If you have very long, very curly or very thick hair, it might be hard to get along with the hair dryers on the ship though. How do you get along with hotel/motel hair dryers, especially the weaker ones? That might give you a clue.

Thanks. I think I'll have to bring my big ol' blow dryer with me. :D I have long, very thick, curly hair and I don't want to chance trying to get dressed in time for dinner with those small dryers. It's just that I just bought an ionic blow dryer and it's alot bigger than my old one. I'll just have to lug it. :rolleyes:

The hair driers vary on the cruiselines too. Some cruiselines do have extra "real" driers you can ask your steward to bring in.

Personally, I still pack my own. With humidity in the Caribbean especially, I need something to style the waves and flips out of my hair. By the time their little drier dried my thick hair, I'd have to start styling all over.

I'd post this question on the board for the cruiseline you're sailing, and ask specifically about your ship. Our cruising experience has been limited to 4 NCL ships. The blow dryers on the old Sea and the Sun would NEVER had dried my hair, but the ones on the Jewel and the Pearl were nicer than the one I'm currently using at home.

I'd post this question on the board for the cruiseline you're sailing, and ask specifically about your ship. Our cruising experience has been limited to 4 NCL ships. The blow dryers on the old Sea and the Sun would NEVER had dried my hair, but the ones on the Jewel and the Pearl were nicer than the one I'm currently using at home.

We're sailing on the Conquest next March and our last cruise was also on the Conquest. I don't know why I didn't try those dryers then while I had my dryer as a backup. That way I would know how they work. :rolleyes: But they were the mini dryers and I'm afraid they just won't dry my thick hair. I'll just have to bring mine again and try the one in the room also. Maybe on our NEXT cruise I won't have to bring mine. :D

We're sailing on the Conquest next March and our last cruise was also on the Conquest. I don't know why I didn't try those dryers then while I had my dryer as a backup. That way I would know how they work. :rolleyes: But they were the mini dryers and I'm afraid they just won't dry my thick hair. I'll just have to bring mine again and try the one in the room also. Maybe on our NEXT cruise I won't have to bring mine. :D

LOL! If they were the mini ones, I wouldn't trust them either. My hair is short, but thick, and I almost always pack my own hair dryer too.

This is so very true!

I happened to take mine along when we sailed on Celebrity Infinity and was I ever glad I did. That ship, at the time hopefully they have changed them, had the kind that is like a vacuum cleaner hose attached to the bathroom wall. My cousin used it and said it was horrible. The hose was cracked and she had to wrap a washcloth around the hose because it got too hot to handle.

When we sailed on Liberty a couple months back, I loved the blow dryer in the drawer of the vanity. It had the button you hold down, but I dry my hair in sections and lay the dryer down while sectioning, it was great for me. When I sail on Monarch, which is an older ship, I already know the ship is not wired for my strong dryer and the auto shut-off feature won't allow me to use it.

So, do go to the line specific boards and ask about your ship. Hopefully none of the "less than understanding men" won't feel the need to belittle you ;)

I always bring my hairdryer when cruising.........my hair always gets stuck in the little ones.:o

I have long curly hair and need my diffuser.....the easiest thing is just to bring mine and then everyone is happy!!!:D

If you feel that you will need it....bring it if you have room.

I would really like to leave my bulky blow dryer at home for our next cruise. Has anyone used those little dryers in the cabins before? Will I be standing there all night trying to dry my hair or do they work well? Thanks.

I don't trust that those hair dryers in the cabins all work. What if I decided to leave my dryer home, and then couldn't blow dry my hair? I don't want to go to formal night in a ponytail!

I use a Conair folding 1875 watt hairdryer. It fits nicely in the suitcase because it folds. I have long hair (almost to my butt) and it dries it pretty fast. Here's a link to their website: http://www.conair.com/folding-handle-dryer-1875-watts-p-23.html

Sharon H.

When in doubt, bring your own.

And when you don't care and can't risk the extra weight/space, leave it at home:p

I decided when we booked our Alaska trip I wasn't going to bring a hair dryer. Either the hotels and ship will have one, or they won't. For formal night, I can always do a french twist. I usually end up doing that anyway....

• 2 years later...
Does anyone know if the diffuser fits on the hairdryers in Celebrity Aquaclass?

ccarter, you may want to ask this on the Celebrity board. I do know that the hair dryer is 1200 watts. I would think that since the S class ships are new, the hair dryer is also and if your diffuser fits another 1200 watt hair dryer, it should fit on the cabin one.

If you can't get more definite info, I have an 1875 watt travel hair dryer that folds in half and weighs practically nothing. This one has the cool button, also. ;)

4121P6150EL._SS400_.jpg

Thanks. I think I'll have to bring my big ol' blow dryer with me. :D I have long, very thick, curly hair and I don't want to chance trying to get dressed in time for dinner with those small dryers. It's just that I just bought an ionic blow dryer and it's alot bigger than my old one. I'll just have to lug it. :rolleyes:

Hi Cruz...check out a travel dryer. See my photo. Not heavy and rather powerful. The black handle folds in. ;)

Anyone have any experience on the Serenade? I am still debating as to whether or not to bring my dryer. I have long, thick, curly hair, and it takes about 20 minutes to dry at home with my good dryer. I cannot imagine what it would be like with a less powerful dryer.... I am thinking that maybe I could stand out on the balcony for a few minutes and get a bit of an air dry then use the dryer to style.... HUM....

We are flying, and my dryer weighs about 1.5 lbs.... Is it worth it?

We read that the Carnival Sensation doesn't have a hair dryer. So I'm stopping by target to buy this tomorrow:

http://www.target.com/Hair-Dryers-Care-Beauty/b/13821201/ref=sc_fe_l_2_695155011_5?node=13821201

Has anyone else tried this? Even if the ship did have a hair dryer I'd probably buy this anyways because the quality of the dryers on some ship are so horrible.

Archived