pompeii on your own

We just did this, so maybe I can help. I didn't get the timetables for the train out of Naples or Pompei but they seemed to run very regularly. We never waited more than 15 minutes... and I'm never that lucky!

Train fare to Pompei Scavi from Naples was 2.30 Euro each, from Pompei to Sorrento was 1.80 Euro for a grand total of 4.10! What a bargain for a 1&1/2 hour train ride.

Entrance to Pompei is 11 euros.

The hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples is 9.50 euro and is much more comfortable than the train. The last one of the day that we could catch and still make sail-away was at 4:25pm. It goes to Beverello, the pier next to where our ship (Voyager of the Seas) was docked so it was easy to get "home". The hydrofoil took about 45 minutes. There was a much earlier one in the afternoon (about 1:30, I think.)

Have a great time!

I know that everyone says the train is easy to Pompeii, but we have someone with mobility problems and will want to take a taxi. However, we just want to stay in Pompeii and review the ruins at our leisure. Finding a driver has been very expensive, because they all want to book day tours. It just seems silly to pay a driver to hang around all day while we take our time looking through the site, unless there's no other alternative.

Will we be able to catch a cab in Pompeii to take us back to the ship? I have asked this question a few times and people have referred me to their drivers. However, all of the drivers wanted a minimum of 300 Euro, even for what they called a half day tour. Am I kidding myself in thinking I'll be able to catch a cab in port, then catch another after we finish sauntering around Pompeii?? Thanks!!!!!

We just did this, so maybe I can help. I didn't get the timetables for the train out of Naples or Pompei but they seemed to run very regularly. We never waited more than 15 minutes... and I'm never that lucky!

Train fare to Pompei Scavi from Naples was 2.30 Euro each, from Pompei to Sorrento was 1.80 Euro for a grand total of 4.10! What a bargain for a 1&1/2 hour train ride.

Entrance to Pompei is 11 euros.

The hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples is 9.50 euro and is much more comfortable than the train. The last one of the day that we could catch and still make sail-away was at 4:25pm. It goes to Beverello, the pier next to where our ship (Voyager of the Seas) was docked so it was easy to get "home". The hydrofoil took about 45 minutes. There was a much earlier one in the afternoon (about 1:30, I think.)

Have a great time!

where is the train station in relation to the pier in Naples

Am I kidding myself in thinking I'll be able to catch a cab in port, then catch another after we finish sauntering around Pompeii?? Thanks!!!!!

Taxi's were plentiful when we left the ship and I'm pretty sure you can negotiate a cheaper rate than the drivers many line-up in advance online. We were lucky to find one that wanted to go only to the train station! I think the fact that we were later in leaving the ship (about 9:30) was what made one decide he could do it... and give us the sales routine for a longer hire all the way there!

I don't recall seeing any taxis at Pompei entrance, but I have to admit I wasn't looking for them. Really, the train station is a short distance from the entrance and you may decide to try that back to Naples and then taxi to the ship from there.

where is the train station in relation to the pier in Naples

This is the best information I found, and its complete with photos: www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm

The taxi ride took about 5 minutes and was 10 euros for the 4 of us.

I don't recall seeing any taxis at Pompei entrance, but I have to admit I wasn't looking for them. Really, the train station is a short distance from the entrance and you may decide to try that back to Naples and then taxi to the ship from there..

Thanks for the info. I know that the train is close, but we have someone who will be fully taxed just by Pompeii. So far, I have heard of no one who just took a taxi there and back!!! My fear is because they are unavailable or unreliable (or simply just as expensive as a car -- which seems wierd). If we do try it, I will definitely post about the experience.

Thanks for the info. I know that the train is close, but we have someone who will be fully taxed just by Pompeii. So far, I have heard of no one who just took a taxi there and back!!! My fear is because they are unavailable or unreliable (or simply just as expensive as a car -- which seems wierd). If we do try it, I will definitely post about the experience.

I just got a price of a taxi to Pompeii from Naples and return with 2 hour wait as 150 euro with tuscanybytaxi.it

In our case I am really considering the train

Thanks globalnomads for the information. Do you remmber how far it was to the train station?

In Naples we didn't walk it, although there is great information on how to at this website: www.europeportreviews.com/Naples5.htm.

The taxi ride was 10 minutes or less, so I imagine it was about a 20 minute walk, or 1 to 1 1/4 miles accounting for traffic and lights. The taxi ride in Naples was definitely an "e-ticket" ride (or like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in Disney for those who are too young to understand the e-ticket reference.)

In Pompei it was less than 300 yards to the entrance from the station, and a very interesting walk with all the street vendors. We had a great lemon granita there (like a slushy, only Italian!)

I got a quote from tuscanybytaxi.it to Pompeii from the port and return plus 2 hours of waiting time for 150 euros.

I got a quote from tuscanybytaxi.it to Pompeii from the port and return plus 2 hours of waiting time for 150 euros.

Thanks, that's definitely better than 300 Euro, but I'm sure we will want to stay more than two hours. I did find a place that charged 70 for a one way transfer from port.

Is it really necessary to have a taxi wait? Can't you just hire one there? Come on all you great cruisers!! Has anybody seen taxis in Pompei for hire?

Thanks, that's definitely better than 300 Euro, but I'm sure we will want to stay more than two hours. I did find a place that charged 70 for a one way transfer from port.

Is it really necessary to have a taxi wait? Can't you just hire one there? Come on all you great cruisers!! Has anybody seen taxis in Pompei for hire?

opposite the port,across the street ,the blue Sita bus will take u direct to Pompei,3 euros. journey 25 mins

time wise, sometimes quicker than it takes to walk to station.

opposite the port,across the street ,the blue Sita bus will take u direct to Pompei,3 euros. journey 25 mins

Wow!! Thank you so much. I have not heard anyone mention that before. I will look into it, as it seems it would give us the flexibility we need. I found the www.sitabus.it site and will try to navigate around the timetables (as the English button doesn't seem to work:rolleyes: ).

What a great resource this board is!!!

Wow!! Thank you so much. I have not heard anyone mention that before. I will look into it, as it seems it would give us the flexibility we need. I found the www.sitabus.it site and will try to navigate around the timetables (as the English button doesn't seem to work:rolleyes: ).

What a great resource this board is!!!

the bus is parked across from the port,cannot miss them,booking office in side street,buy a return,unless you are going on to Sorrento by train.

we caught the 9.15, but ask for the times back as they usually have a break between 12&1pm

I asked my mom, who spent a while sitting around the entrance while I finished up looking at the ruins in Pompeii. She doesn't recall any taxis. I think most people either do a tour or take the train.

However (and this is a big however), it's possible that someone from the restaurant/shop at the entrance would call you a taxi if needed. This might cost double because presumably the taxi would charge you for the trip out to pick you up as well as the trip back.

I think your best bet is the taxi that will wait 2 hours. If you have someone with mobility issues, I think 2 hours of walking around Pompeii would be about all they could do. It's not the easiest walking, and depending on when you go it can be very hot with little shade.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for you MAKEM...I visited the SITA Bus website & I think I have found the time table for Naples to Pompeii. Can you confirm?

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campania/orarioCA2005-2006/Quadro-VIIIbis-RITORNO.pdf

Do you know whether we would get off at the stop "Pompei/Scavi" or just the one named "Pompei"???

Also, not sure what all the differnt letters mean at the top of the page. I'm guessing they correspond with days of the week or something, but just want to know before I go. Thanks for your help!!!

Ann =)

I have a question for you MAKEM...I visited the SITA Bus website & I think I have found the time table for Naples to Pompeii. Can you confirm?

http://www.sitabus.it/sitabus/campania/orarioCA2005-2006/Quadro-VIIIbis-RITORNO.pdf

Do you know whether we would get off at the stop "Pompei/Scavi" or just the one named "Pompei"???

Also, not sure what all the differnt letters mean at the top of the page. I'm guessing they correspond with days of the week or something, but just want to know before I go. Thanks for your help!!!

Ann =)

From my research it's best to get off the Pompei/Scavi stop, as the other stop "Pompeii" would mean a longer walk. The letters at the top of the page do correspond with holidays and the week.

Feriale - Week

Giornaliera - Every day

Festiva - Festival

Scolastica - Scholastic (Maybe meaning a school day?)

Da lunedi a venerdi feriale - Monday to Friday

Da Lunedi a venerdi scolastica - Monday to Friday (again, scholastic)

Feriale nei giorni non scolastici - Days of the week, non-scholastic

Sabato - Saturday

Giovedi -Thursday

Monica

Archived