Did you sneak liquor on your cruise?

Happyladi

Since Princess's room service quit selling full sized bottles of many types of Booze and only sold certain brands of booze in 750 ml bottles. (Whiskey choices were dismal.)

I do put booze, in the bottle they came (glass,) in my checked luggage. I like Woodford Reserve Kentucky whiskey, which come in 750 ml sized bottles, so I take two bottles for the longer cruises.

I put the bottles in zip lock bags. So far no leakage or other problems. My wife takes her gallon sized Vodka (checked luggage.) in the plastic bottle it comes in, also in a zip lock bag. (We both like a Bloody Ceasers in the AM on occassion.) ;)

I have on one occassion, walked on with a bottle of booze wrapped in newspaper, which we bought on shore in a Mexican port. The booze was in a large canvas bag, my wife was carrying. She sent it through the Port security x-ray and nobody said a word.

In most cases, carrying it on from ports of call IMHO, could be risky, as they may take it and keep it until your last night on board. Although, I have heard others on these boards, say that they just walked on without a problem in a bag or package, where there is an x-ray.

I am totally confused. On dress code threads, you are adamant that rules be followed because they are rules and everyone who doesn't dress right should eat at the buffet or have room service. But on this alcohol smuggling thread, the rule doesn't have to be followed because you don't like it and even share how you get a gallon-size bottle of vodka onboard? I guess next someone will tell you that if you don't like the alcohol for sale onboard, you need to patronize another cruise line that does have what you like. :(

I think its very humerous that you would praise Oceania, when you have never even cruised on that line. BTW: I checked their website and tried to find a 'dress code' with their search button and had no result! :rolleyes:

As for the poll, if you read my post you will notice I said "in looking at the graphs at the start of this thread, it would appear that your opinion is in the minority here. not all the cruisers in the wide world!

Yes, I enjoy land trips or vacations too! I do a lot of car trips to the Oregon, Washington and Northern California beaches, where formal clothes are not needed. I do however, since I have started cruising on Princess at least twice a year, enjoy the formal dinning nights on Princess.

It is my feeling that as long as Princess has formal dinning nights, I will be in formal dinning apparel, which to me, means a Tux or my Military mess dress. IMHO the only thing besides formal apparel that should be allowed in the dinning rooms on formal is a dark dress suit with shirt and tie.

If passengers do not want to at least wear a suit and tie, IMHO they should dine in their cabin or the Horizon Court.

BTW: I think you are wrong with your statement "I just think it's run it's course with today's cruisers." This is not the way I see it or hear it from the majority of people who cruise on Princess most of the time.

I'm of course, glad that you and 'DH' "follow the "Dress Code" with whatever line I'm on."

Please be sure to do that when your on your next Princess cruise, I hate it when people don't! ;)

We usually bring two bottles of wine along with about half a bottle of vodka or gin in a Platypus. Sometimes we bring a box of wine.

We never finish all this by the end of a week long, and we still spend plenty at the bar! I am not trying to short change the cruiselines, I just occasionally want either a very special wine (I usually bring some from the winery I worked at for three years) or just a little mixed drink before dinner in the room.

I will say that Princess' forgiving and lenient alcohol policy is one reason we keep cruising them. Not because I want to bring on gallons of liquor and cases of beer, but because I am an adult paying for a room in a "floating resort" of sorts and I think I am able to decide that bringing on a bit of vodka and wine isn't going to be the end of the world.

Do they actually have cranberry juice onboard? I never saw it on our last cruise on the Crown this past March. It will save me from purchasing some in San Juan?

Yes, in the morning you can get it at the buffet or delivered to your room. I think they charge after a certain time, but they did have it!

It goes well with Stoli ras

I am wondering how many people sneak liquor aboard to enjoy in their own cabins. If you did, did you leave it in the orginal bottle or put it into something else?

I always do it. We usually put a bottle of Absolut in our checked luggage. Just make sure it has some padding so it doesn't break.

You're better off just leaving it in the original bottle.

I am totally confused. On dress code threads, you are adamant that rules be followed because they are rules and everyone who doesn't dress right should eat at the buffet or have room service. But on this alcohol smuggling thread, the rule doesn't have to be followed because you don't like it and even share how you get a gallon-size bottle of vodka onboard? I guess next someone will tell you that if you don't like the alcohol for sale onboard, you need to patronize another cruise line that does have what you like. :(

I think you are bring another thread into this. I don't know if you followed someone here but I don't think that is appropriate. Keep the dress issue on the other thread.

Linda

I think you are bring another thread into this. I don't know if you followed someone here but I don't think that is appropriate. Keep the dress issue on the other thread.

Linda

I have nothing against bringing alcohol onboard...I would do it if I ever had any extra space in my luggage. I have to make a choice between shoes and rum and somehow in my mind the shoes always win. I did manage to buy local wine on my Tahiti cruise during embarkation day. The quotes speak for themselves.

Firstly, TexasMom2, your off topic here with your lumping the dress code issues into this thread, which is a thread on 'Did you sneak liquor on your last cruise.' This cause me to have to be off topic inorder to provide an answer to you. I see someone else had already chided you for being off topic here. :rolleyes:

(BTW: I gave the wrong amount or bottle size on the Vodka, it was a quart bottle of Stolichnaya Russian, Vodka, which we both like and isn't sold by the bottle on the ship.)

No, I don't have any problem with doing that at all. It isn't so much about rule breaking, as it is, being sort of rude and crude, to your fellow passengers, when you come to a dinning room full of passengers trying observe the Princees dress code and your in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops or some other horrid prohibited clothing, looking like tramps or circus clowns. :(

People, (Once again!:rolleyes: ) that bring booze on board for their own personal use do so, for most part (In their or/our case,) because, Princess doesn't carry my/or their brand of booze by the bottle. Room service has a VERY limited package deal that they sell, which gives one no control over the brand of liquor at all. Along with the poor brand choice, one is forced to purchase unwanted mixers, in that package.

The fact, that we bring booze on the ship in our suitcase, may be breaking Princess rules; however, it does not effect any other passengers, as long as we drink the booze, in our cabin and drink and behave sensibly after drinking from said bottles, which we do. No other passengers are even aware, that we brought booze on board, or have it in our cabin. (Unlike showing up at the dinning room. on a formal night looking like tramps and exspecting to eat there.)

It's also unlike, having to see some 80 or 90 year old 300+ pound flabby female, made up and dressed like some teenaged girl in a blouse and shorts with flip flops on, trying to act like a young girl and/or a man dressed in holey, dirty looking jeans, cowboy boots/or flip flops and a white t-shirt, with his last lunch (Or maybe, it's tobacco juice from his last chaw! Texas?) showing on the front of the shirt sitting at our table or next to us in the dinning room.

This type of dress and behvior tends to ruin my dinner, when I'm trying to eat a nice dinner and follow the dress code, like the majority of other passengers in the dinning room. The sight is enough to kill ones appetite in some cases.

I hope this clears it up for you a little.

BTW: your quote "I guess next someone will tell you that if you don't like the alcohol for sale onboard, you need to patronize another cruise line that does have what you like."

What make you think that it wouldn't be just as bad and maybe even worse, on other cruise lines? The way people talk in here, about the 'other' cruise lines they are no better and one would be no doubt sneaking their booze on them as well. Besides, I like Princess and maybe at least they will start to enforce their dress code a little better and keep the people who want to dress like dress like tramps, etc., out of the dinning rooms on Formal nights! :D

Firstly, TexasMom2, your off topic here with your lumping the dress code issues into this thread, which is a thread on 'Did you sneak liquor on your last cruise.' This cause me to have to be off topic inorder to provide an answer to you. I see someone else had already chided you for being off topic here. :rolleyes:

(BTW: I gave the wrong amount or bottle size on the Vodka, it was a quart bottle of Stolichnaya Russian, Vodka, which we both like and isn't sold by the bottle on the ship.)

No, I don't have any problem with doing that at all. It isn't so much about rule breaking, as it is, being sort of rude and crude, to your fellow passengers, when you come to a dinning room full of passengers trying observe the Princees dress code and your in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops or some other horrid prohibited clothing, looking like tramps or circus clowns. :(

People, (Once again!:rolleyes: ) that bring booze on board for their own personal use do so, for most part (In their or/our case,) because, Princess doesn't carry my/or their brand of booze by the bottle. Room service has a VERY limited package deal that they sell, which gives one no control over the brand of liquor at all. Along with the poor brand choice, one is forced to purchase unwanted mixers, in that package.

The fact, that we bring booze on the ship in our suitcase, may be breaking Princess rules; however, it does not effect any other passengers, as long as we drink the booze, in our cabin and drink and behave sensibly after drinking from said bottles, which we do. No other passengers are even aware, that we brought booze on board, or have it in our cabin. (Unlike showing up at the dinning room. on a formal night looking like tramps and exspecting to eat there.)

It's also unlike, having to see some 80 or 90 year old 300+ pound flabby female, made up and dressed like some teenaged girl in a blouse and shorts with flip flops on, trying to act like a young girl and/or a man dressed in holey, dirty looking jeans, cowboy boots/or flip flops and a white t-shirt, with his last lunch (Or maybe, it's tobacco juice from his last chaw! Texas?) showing on the front of the shirt sitting at our table or next to us in the dinning room.

This type of dress and behvior tends to ruin my dinner, when I'm trying to eat a nice dinner and follow the dress code, like the majority of other passengers in the dinning room. The sight is enough to kill ones appetite in some cases.

BTW: your quote "I guess next someone will tell you that if you don't like the alcohol for sale onboard, you need to patronize another cruise line that does have what you like."

What make you think that it wouldn't be just as bad and maybe even worse, on other cruise lines? The way people talk in here, about the 'other' cruise lines they are no better and one would be no doubt sneaking their booze on them as well. Besides, I like Princess and maybe at least they will start to enforce their dress code a little better and keep the people who want to dress like dress like tramps, etc., out of the dinning rooms on Formal nights! :D

Could you have possibly said this without being so rude.

Well put

If Princess went back to offering bottles of liquor for in-cabin consumption like they used to, then I would not have a need to smuggle a bottle or two on board. When they went to the tiny bottles and included mixers and started overcharging is when I started hiding bottles.

(Unlike showing up at the dinning room. on a formal night looking like tramps and exspecting to eat there.)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

When we sailed in 2006 on Princess they sold a ltr of Stoli for $20 which was 2X the DFS price but was still fair and we bought several on long cruise. Asking $40 for a 375 is highway robbery and I'll bring my own. Their greed is only overshadowed by their stupidity in trying to screw their customers and they deserve to have that portion of the contract ignored.

As for the dress on board, we often go to the specialty restaurant to avoid the slobs who think they are making a point. There should be a Cracker Barrel on board for them.

I just got off the 10th of August Crown sailing. I was successful with the smuggling of booze twice.

Boarding in NY I placed 12, 16oz cans of Bud sealed in a plastic bag in my suitcase. Arrived in my room untouched and intact.

Second time was in San Juan. When we returned to the ship after an excursion we went to the forward gangway to board because the line midship was long and I didn't notice any alcohol collection tables. We left the ship later on via the midship gangway and the booze was piled high that had been collected. So I went and bought my bottle of rum, put it in a backpack and specifically went back via the forward gangway. The backpack went through the scanner and they handed it to me, no questions asked.

I think because most people use the midship gangway, because its the closest gangway, they set up the collection table there. We used the forward gangway most of the time and I never saw any booze collected.

Could you have possibly said this without being so rude.

Sorry, you feel its rude!

The fact is that given my background, I tend to be direct and to the point! This person was looking for a response and she got one. I tend to say just what I think. ;)

If Princess went back to offering bottles of liquor for in-cabin consumption like they used to, then I would not have a need to smuggle a bottle or two on board. When they went to the tiny bottles and included mixers and started overcharging is when I started hiding bottles.

Right on, Donna!

I have NEVER smuggled liquor on board. I carry it on in its original package, usually in my carry-on bag or occasionally in the bag given by the retailer where I purchased it. If anyone wants to take it away, fine, I know the risks and it's okay by me. So far, no one has said a word about it to me.

I don't know why there is no longer the option to buy a bottle on board. It's something I'd like to see reinstated. I won't hold my breath for that day, but I will bring my Bailey's on board and enjoy it with my coffee in the morning and over ice in the evening.

I will say that Princess' forgiving and lenient alcohol policy is one reason we keep cruising them. Not because I want to bring on gallons of liquor and cases of beer, but because I am an adult paying for a room in a "floating resort" of sorts and I think I am able to decide that bringing on a bit of vodka and wine isn't going to be the end of the world.

I completely agree. This is our first cruise, and when I was researching lines I was looking on the NCL board... you should have heard the flaming that went on there, when newbies asked about alchohol policies. People were actually told "I would expect this kind of behavior (smuggling) on the Carnival boards." Whoa. People acted as if bringing a flask was going to put the cruise lines under. It appears that many people here are spending tremendous sums of money to cruise, and cruise often. The cruise lines are not getting ripped off here, by allowing people to have a good time on an expensive and long-planned vacation.

We travel on land based vacations extensively... and almost always bring some liquor or wine or beer to our room. We enjoy a cocktail while getting ready for dinner, or enjoy a drink or two together while the evening winds down. I do prefer particular brands as well. When looking up Princess' policy, it seemed to me that it was a better "fit" to my lifestyle. I am an adult and want to be treated like an adult. It's not like when I stay at a 4 star hotel I'm not buying a drink with dinner or poolside, just because I have a bottle of wine or fine tequila in my room.

One good side-benefit to making my own wine - we just corked a wine bottle full of Jamaican rum! I think the other one will be Maker's Mark. Should pass even the most rigorous scrutiny and will definitely help both the bar tab and the cool temperatures of Alaska.

:D

I'm conflicted. I'm with TexasMom2 when she calls out GreenBeret on his hypocrisy RE: rules. (dress rules must be followed, alcohol rules may be flaunted at will). Besides, she's from Texas. Word up.

BUT - GreenBeret prefers that nectar of the gods known as Woodford Reserve! I'd buy him a round and probably sing drunken sea songs all night if given a chance.

*sigh*

I should have been a diplomat.

LOL

I have NEVER smuggled liquor on board. I carry it on in its original package, usually in my carry-on bag or occasionally in the bag given by the retailer where I purchased it. If anyone wants to take it away, fine, I know the risks and it's okay by me. So far, no one has said a word about it to me.

I don't know why there is no longer the option to buy a bottle on board. It's something I'd like to see reinstated. I won't hold my breath for that day, but I will bring my Bailey's on board and enjoy it with my coffee in the morning and over ice in the evening.

spongerob:

In todays world with the with the TSA regulations, most people flying to their boarding ports, (Many have to fly to these Ports.) can't carry liquids on board the aircraft, nor do the wish to have to re-arrange their checked luggage to transfer any booze they might be carrying in them, to carry on luggage. What would be the point? So, most just leave it in the checked luggage, that will be delivered to their cabin. :cool:

In our checked luggage we packed: 24 beer, Jim Bean, Vodka, Pina Colada, Chocolate Liquer along with a "Magic Bullet". Everything arrived safely. Carried on 2 - 5l boxed wine, 4 - 1.5l bottled wine, 2 champage.

How many people were in your party? I think I would be on the floor the whole trip if I took that much booze. I wouldn't remember any part of the cruise.

Linda

How many people were in your party? I think I would be on the floor the whole trip if I took that much booze. I wouldn't remember any part of the cruise.

Linda

Was thinking the same thing except it would knock me for a month cause I have about 4 drinks a year and those are mostly while cruising:D

spongerob:

In todays world with the with the TSA regulations, most people flying to their boarding ports, (Many have to fly to these Ports.) can't carry liquids on board the aircraft, nor do the wish to have to re-arrange their checked luggage to transfer any booze they might be carrying in them, to carry on luggage. What would be the point? So, most just leave it in the checked luggage, that will be delivered to their cabin. :cool:

You're right, GB, but we ALWAYS fly in a day early and will make a stop if possible to pick up a few things if we think it's necessary.

Archived