Harwich?

hwd2cs

We are taking the Constellation on the Baltic cruise next June and are debating if we should stay the one night pre-cruise in London and go to Harwich the day of the cruise or go directly from Heathrow to Harwich. We will be staying 3 nights post cruise in London. Is there any place in between from Heathrow to Harwich that is worth while seeing and staying and then going on to Harwich the next day? Any hotel recommendations? Any suggestions would be helpful.

We are taking the Constellation on the Baltic cruise next June and are debating if we should stay the one night pre-cruise in London and go to Harwich the day of the cruise or go directly from Heathrow to Harwich. We will be staying 3 nights post cruise in London. Is there any place in between from Heathrow to Harwich that is worth while seeing and staying and then going on to Harwich the next day? Any hotel recommendations? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Our party have all done london lots of times and so did not want the expense. We went directly to Harwich and stayed at the Tower Hotel. They have recently had renovations so there was a choice of some quite smart rooms. The only problem was that there was no lift so we had to lug our cases up the rather grand staircase. We did not eat there as everyone wanted fish and chips, we wandered up the road and had a good time in the chinese/fish and chip take away.

I read reviews of Harwich being a very unattractive place. Maybe I was just in a good holiday mood, but I found it quite charming and only had chance to walk to Doverport. It was very old fashioned Victorian. I would have liked to have gone down to the pier. When in a shop a local said that the Pier Hotel was excellent - food was great there.

We managed to paddle in the water, which took me back to my childhood. Maybe I am in the minority, but I love Harwich. :o

I had friends who stayed at Clacton on Sea - a real old fashioned English Seaside town. My grandparents took me there many times as a child. These places have a special charm, even though they are more like retirement homes than holiday towns. Their taxi drive in the morning did not take long. They were waving to us from deck 11 as we were arriving at just before midday.

On my journey away from Harwich we passed on the train through some lovely English countryside - we were going North East, which is no good for you, but I thought that some of the small towns would be worth a visit. I wonder if Colchester might be worth a visit for you. England certainly has a great deal to offer beyond London.

Thank you for the info. Since we will probably have jet lag I would like to stay somewhere interesting so the next day we can wander around before going on the cruise and isn't too far from Harwich. I thought it might be less expensive than taking a taxi to London and then going from London to Harwich. :)

Linda

Archived