why do people always complain about the food?

amjdcm

I have never understood why people complain about the food. If you read some of these complaints you would think that it is coming from the Queen of England. Come on people. Unless you were born with a silver spoon in hand and grew up with a personal chef or ate all of your meals at five star restaurants you should not complain about the food on RCI. Most of us live normal lives and eat the ussual chicken breast or plate of spagetti at home. Think about it for a moment... If you read these reviews some of them are complaining about ridiculous things. I read a posting where someone said "...the Hollandaise sauce was over done." Mind you that this was coming from someone who earlier posted saying that Walmart had a great/fashionable clothing line; comperable to New York... :eek:

I understand that you may sometimes come across a bad meal but all you have to do is order something else. Perhaps the chicken was sitting under the heating lamp too long, or maybe the prime rib was a little dry... these issues are the exception not the rule. Wake up people and stop being blog snobs.

Totally agree with you amjdcm. I think McDonalds would taste awesome if they used white tablecloths and someone was waiting on me hand and foot. Any meal that I did not cook and/or clean up after is 5 star in my opinion.:D

Furthermore, they could feed me nothing but salad and I would still feel like I came out ahead. I could NEVER afford a vacation that included 5 islands in 8 days with hotel, transportation to each island, and all my food. If I even tried to plan that type of trip, I would be stuck eating beef jerky the whole time to save $$.:eek:

I always like the food. I'm not too picky. I do have to admit that the menu has become boring and needs updating. When I cruised on Carnival last I thought the food was so fabulous...then I realized I thought that just because the menu was different than RCI. The food is really the same quality. If RCI changed their menu each year, they would probably be receiving compliments on the same quality food.

I've always wondered the same thing. These people who post about the quality must eat in 5-star restaurants. Granted.....there are SOME times that the meals are not my favorite but I have never DISLIKED anything that I've had.

I believe that it's all according to what you are expecting. The very first cruise that we ever went on, all we heard about was the WONDERFUL food. Well..........it wasn't so great. I believe that we had built it up in our mind so much that it just didn't meet our expectations. On each cruise after, we just decided that we would not go hungry and that if the meal wasn't up to our expectations that the next would be. We've never been disappointed since.

Just don't go expecting 5-star quality. Go expecting a good meal, good service and wonderful ambiance and you won't be disappointed.:)

I agree with Mommabean that the food on Carnival was fabulous - and not because it was different but because it was truly VERY good

I didn't complain about the food on our recent cruise - the Windjammer buffets were excellent (breakfast and lunch) and the dining room dinners were fine, but just not that great (and no comparison to the dinners we had on Carnival last October).

I eat out a lot and, whilst it may not always be in a 5* establishment, if I'm eating out I like to eat somewhere a bit special - unfortunately the dining room food on Splendour wasn't (whereas the dining room on our Carnival cruise last year was). If you call that complaining then so be it - I just call it making a well observed criticism. ;)

I loved everything else about the cruise, so this is not a criticism of RCCL before I get jumped on

I have never understood why people complain about the food. If you read some of these complaints you would think that it is coming from the Queen of England. Come on people. Unless you were born with a silver spoon in hand and grew up with a personal chef or ate all of your meals at five star restaurants you should not complain about the food on RCI. Most of us live normal lives and eat the ussual chicken breast or plate of spagetti at home. Think about it for a moment... If you read these reviews some of them are complaining about ridiculous things. I read a posting where someone said "...the Hollandaise sauce was over done." Mind you that this was coming from someone who earlier posted saying that Walmart had a great/fashionable clothing line; comperable to New York... :eek:

I understand that you may sometimes come across a bad meal but all you have to do is order something else. Perhaps the chicken was sitting under the heating lamp too long, or maybe the prime rib was a little dry... these issues are the exception not the rule. Wake up people and stop being blog snobs.

I hear ya amjdcm. I wonder the same thing. What are people thinking. I am a working mother of two and just getting a delivered meal to me hot is a wonderful thing. And if it's somewhat decent then forgetaboutit. It amazes me how petty people can be . It's almost like they are on some exclusive yacht. I just read someones review and they were displeased because the Ship was going too slow during afternoon sea days. Because they felt if the ship was going faster they would get a better breeze on deck. They thought the ship should go faster and then circle if they were arrived at a port too fast. Have you ever heard something so insane. Because they spent 10,000 for a cruise and it was hot in the caribbean they are entitled to a breeze.

I agree with Mommabean that the food on Carnival was fabulous - and not because it was different but because it was truly VERY good

I didn't complain about the food on our recent cruise - the Windjammer buffets were excellent (breakfast and lunch) and the dining room dinners were fine, but just not that great (and no comparison to the dinners we had on Carnival last October).

If you call the complaining then so be it - I just call it making a well observed criticism. ;)

Maybe it is the food then. I really thought it was just the menu. That alone seemed so much more exciting. It seemed there was a little bit more in the way of variety on the Carnival menu, too.

I can say that the escargot is EXACTLY the same thing on both cruise lines. I think they must use the same suppliers for their food.

Gina

It's only the fat people who complain:p

Goin to make myself some popcorn (0 trans fat):D

You've got it wrong. Us fat people are too busy shoveling it in to complain about the food. :rolleyes:

Luckily for you, though, you found the last group it's safe to bash. Substitute any other adjective for "fat" - any race, gender, or sexual orientation group - and yours would be considered a bigoted comment by most. But feel free to disparage the overweight to your heart's content. Enjoy.

All people critize the food no matter what they look like. My mom just returned from the Explorer with me and all she did was complain about the food. She is an average weight person who happens to have filled her plate up with everything she could get on there. It was a free for all at the Windjammer with all the different things. It does tend to have you try new things or mix up a lot of foods. This can lead to gastric upset. I know because I am a medical person :)

Maybe most of the complaints come from those who cruised "way back when". I'm sure the food was better, but the cost of cruising was also higher than it is today.

It's only been 10 years or so for me since my 1st cruise. While the food quality may be down a notch in that time, it's certainly not bad. I never have a problem finding something on the menu that I like. And I'm a picky eater. More times than not, I order a couple of entrees because they both sound good.

But I go on a cruise not expecting 5* meals, unless I go to Chops or Portofino, where I can get that quality if I want.

It's only the fat people who complain:p

Goin to make myself some popcorn (0 trans fat):D

Your comment is very rude. Yes, it has a 'smiley face' after it, but it is still a very rude comment. <Stepping off my soapbox>

With the exception of a couple of dishes that I don't personally like, I think RCCL has very good food...especially considering they are making hundreds of dishes at a time. The only complaint my family has is the coffee (which I don't drink)...my husband swears it's from the prior cruise, lol. ;)

Maybe it is the food then. I really thought it was just the menu. That alone seemed so much more exciting. It seemed there was a little bit more in the way of variety on the Carnival menu, too.

I can say that the escargot is EXACTLY the same thing on both cruise lines. I think they must use the same suppliers for their food.

Gina

Gina

It was a double thing. Firstly, the menu on our Carnival trip was more imaginative - more of a mix and blending of flavours and generally less bland, different types of food every night. Secondly the food itself and the presentaion was just so much better - tastier, subtler and beautifully presented. Every meal was a special occasion, compared to the RCCL dining room where every meal was a serviceable, acceptable but fairly boring selection.

Please you RCCL devotees don't flame me - I loved everything else about RCCL and am already planning my next trip with them but I LOVE dining out and the dining room just didn't deliver

And your comment about the escargot made me smile as it's also EXACTLY like the Escargot we have in our favourite restaurant in France which we visit at least one a year!

I was raised old school Catholic...and I was told that "Ethiopian children would love to have that string bean you don't want". And it's true. We sometimes forget just how fortunate we are to BE on a CRUISE in AIR CONDITIONING (or HEAT, take your pick), in a soft bed with clean sheets, HOT and COLD running water, and with more food that we can possibly hope to ingest. I know I sound like a PollyAnna, but darn - we gotta count our blessings. Steak a little tough ? OK, just pick something else. It's pretty simple.

....but I wanna complain. Its my right. I want more Tex Mex, tacos and cheese enchiladas especially. You can have my spagetti and hot dogs lol.

Actually, everyone has things they like and dislike and sometimes some of the things they dislike seem to come together, but Im sure they get thru it, but if they eventually develop a preference for one cruiselines food, its all individual. Just dont take it so seriously. They wouldnt come back if they really didnt like it :)

Why are there always people who like to attribute the comments of the majority as being "always" or from "everyone"? Seriously, that happens often on here. It's really a minority who complain about the food. Sure, there will always be somebody who complains, but that's hardly surprising.

I have not complained about the food, I am not overweight(130lbs) and I eat to live, LIVE TO EAT! I can say that the quality of food on RC has gone downhill over the years, along with the selection. I always enjoy my cruises, no matter what may afeect it ( food, weather, crowds, kids, etc.) that is because I love to Cruise.

This is a public open forum, for people who are seeking information on cruising. Whether it be about the food, type of cabin, kids onboard, etc. What should anyone care about someone elses opinion. If it offends you, then click on the X in the top right corner and MOVE ON! Someone may think McDonalds has great food, where others wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. It's an opinion. People need to know others opinions on subjects in order to get a feel of what they will encounter.

On my way to check the popcorn in the MIC!

My mother used to say "Eat that or I'll throw it away."

Never had unacceptable food on any cruise. Maybe the menu was not what I wanted to pick from, so there is always a steak and baked potato.

I'd like someone who claims the "quality" has gone down to explain exactly what that means. Now if they served dry meatloaf or gruel that would be below my expectations. Does "quality" = "taste"?or is it something else. Hey I'm from the US so I salt everything before I even taste it.

Archived