First time Seabourne sailors

trubey

Susana and I are thinking seriously of trying a Seabourne cruise after being disappointed by the "Holiday Inn" quality of HAL.

She doesn't drink a whole lot (maybe one drink or a Kir or something before dinner), and though I try to reassure her, she dislikes the idea of subsidizing people 'doing shots' of McCallan's or drinking themselves silly -- simply because they can.

I know there are boors in every large group, but would someone please comment on their experiences aboard in this regard?

Thanks,

Lane Trubey

I have have never seen this kind of behavior. The cost of the cruise does not subsidize boozers. It provides a stellar experience with a well-paid crew whose only job is to make us happy. They do that very well and there is no tipping. If your wife reads many of the threads, she will discover a very satisfied clientele.

The concept of being liquor inclusive tends to be a big plus on Regent (where liquor used to be extra), but has never been considered much other than a footnote on Seabourn. The focus of Seabourn and its guests is service, service and service...and food.

One poster here commented (cruisr) commented that Seabourn not only knows she drinks ice tea with three lemons, but her drink magically appears just when she just thinks she wants one. (Like sitting in the hidden forward whirlpool...leaving her wondering "How'd they know I was here and that I wanted an ice tea with three lemons just now?!")

In all my cruises with SB I have only ever seen one person who had imbibed to the point of "silly". The staff handled him with amazing skill and he caused no fuss at all to other passengers (he did look a little green next day as it was a little rough and an at sea day).

On the mass market lines getting "plowed" is almost a goal. People try to sneak alcohol on board and attempt to get as much alcohol for as little money as possible. It is almost a game and leads to (IMHO) poor behavior and the sort of boorishness you describe.

On the triplets you will find a different atmosphere. Since it is included people actually drink less (seems counter intuitive I know). Since you can have what you want, when you want there is a relaxed atmosphere about it. It becomes a background part of the overall social interaction and not the focus.

You touched a nerve for me (as you can tell by the long post) as this is one of the main reasons I am a steadfast SB cruiser. Being around loud intoxicated groups makes me very uncomfortable. You can be guaranteed that on SB you will be surrounded by interesting, articulate, amiable, and (reasonably) temperate cruisers and the atmosphere will always be relaxed and genial.

Enjoy!!!

I always tell people that remember that everyone does not fully take advantage of all items so I never look at it as I am subsidizing someone else.

For example, one person might drink more than someone else yet the person who drinks less might eat more that the other person. Or, the person who drinks less may take advantage of seeing the on board lecturers whereas the person who drinks more may not make sure of the lecture program. Or some use the fitness center while others don't. Or some eat caviar each day and others enjoy something simpler. And the list goes on and on and on.

And, as others have said you likely will not see people doing shots or shooters or whatever they call that. You will see many meeting before or after dinner for a drink whether that be with alcohol or something without alchohol in a very mature social manner. You will also see many enjoying the wonderful meals on board with or without a drink. We have met many fellow passengers on Seabourn who either don't drink or drink very little. Overall, my observation is that most of the passenger's do not consume more alcohol because it is included. They may be apt to try something new but that's about it.

The main reason why people sail on a luxury cruise line such as a Seabourn Cruise vs say a HAL cruise is for the entire luxury package. You will fine that it is an entirely different experience from the outstanding service and food to the elgance of each ship and the ambience throughout the day and evening hours.

I really would not be concerned that you are subsidizing someones else because in the end it is all a wash.

Sailing on one of the triplets is a very unique experience given their relative size. The bonding that takes places between passengers, crew and passengers with crew is very unique along with the service.

Keith

Dear Lane and Susana!

What could I add to the wonderful comments all the above have given you already? And the great job they did, that I can totally under scribe. (I hope this was English?).

Regarding the HAL drinking policy. My husband and I DO like our wine. And yes, we can handle a few glasses. But we didn't like the way, the wine waiters (sommeliers?) did approach us already in the morning by trying to sell us a bottle for lunch! And all the signing we had to do. You must have seen that also. It is not a nice way.

That's why we prefer to be on Seabourn, where the wine waiters know after one meal what wine you like and you can ask even for half a glass. And then decide later to have yet another full glass!

Also I have only seldom seen drunk people on board the Seabourn ships. At least people who were acting like they were drunk!

I agree with the other poster who pointed out that, although all cocktails and wine, etc., are included in the Seabourn fare, it doesn't seem like everyone's drinking all the time! I might have a mimosa or a pina colada here and there, but I don't drink very much at all. It is a little funny, since you'd think it would be the other way around with all-inclusive liquor!

One of the things I like about Seabourn is the classiness (is that a word?) of the passengers. They are well-traveled people, on board for relaxation and the simple joy of cruising, not to have wild parties and get plastered. Thank goodness!

Jane

I agree with the other poster who pointed out that, although all cocktails and wine, etc., are included in the Seabourn fare, it doesn't seem like everyone's drinking all the time! I might have a mimosa or a pina colada here and there, but I don't drink very much at all. It is a little funny, since you'd think it would be the other way around with all-inclusive liquor!

One of the things I like about Seabourn is the classiness (is that a word?) of the passengers. They are well-traveled people, on board for relaxation and the simple joy of cruising, not to have wild parties and get plastered. Thank goodness!

Jane

I enjoy a drink but drink no more on Seabourn because there is no obvious charge. :)

Thank you all so much! Each of you has touched a point I wanted to hear expressed, and the impression I get is that Seabourne sailors are thoughtful and considerate people who appreciate the same things Susana and I do.

I notice that several of you have a few other Seabourne cruises listed, which is a great reommendation! I hope we are soon able to meet some of you on board.

Lane

While I see people on Seabourn hanging around the Skybar in the day and The Club at night, I have never seen anyone drunk on any of the triplets. Seabourn passengers are not boors. If someone does drink too much they do it discreetly in the privacy of their suite.:cool:

I believe the price point of Seabourn and Silversea eliminate the kind of people who'd drink too much just because it's included. On luxuary lines buffet lines, people don't pile up their plates with obscene amount of food as in mass market lines. If you can afford this price range, then free liquor and food doesn't mean much to you. Though I haven't yet to try Seabourn, I've never seen anybody drunk on Silversea. I don't expect to see one on Seabourn, either.

Archived