Anyone back from Aug 5 Rhapsody?

We were on 7/22 to 7/29 and Eric Dowis was the CD - hilarious BTW. I'm also interested in what they did to the WJ as I saw nothing I would consider needing a rehab...

Before going, I noticed a lot of posts about ice cream machines running out, but on Rhapsody they had an attendant there preparing cones and refilling the thing all day long. They must go through cases and cases of that product....

Oh yeah, the Captain was Trym something or something Trym, I can't remember which. It was great because I don't think public speaking is his forte and it became a real treat to listen to each days' message from the Captain to see how uncomfortable and fidgety his message was.....he was an oustanding ships master, however.

Thanks for the info. But according to the info I had received from Royal Caribbean a couple of months ago, the ship's Captain and CD were both changing. In fact, based on that info, I was surprised the CD had not changed by your cruise, although I knew Captain Trym would be on your cruise because apparently he was substituting for just a short time. So I was trying to find out if the Captain and CD have changed yet.

Were Dick and Teddy still playing at dinner in the evening?

fwiw, on the 7/29 cruise, we were seated at a table in the dining room right next to dick and teddy. we heard a waiter say something to the effect of "it's been great to know you." so i went to ask dick if it was their last cruise and he said yes...sorry if you'll miss them:(

The captain's name escapes me, but it is the same as the previous post. Eric is also still the CD. He was the greatest! I will never forget him as a cruise director. He was always where the action was and participated in everything. He is the best cruise director I have ever had.

I think we are anxious to hear how the Windjammer update/repairs are going. They were supposed to begin on your cruise and take two weeks. Did you notice?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I really hate to hear that Dick and Teddy won't be onboard. Someone from an early July cruise had said that Dick and Teddy were going to be onboard through the August 19 cruise, but it sounds like that is not the case anymore. The Rhapsody won't be the same without the wonderful violin playing of Dick, who was equally adept at playing Rossini as the Orange Blossom Special.

Cruisinkinderteacher, do you have the Cruise Compasses that you could share, or at least Saturday's Cruise Compass? If you could post them or email them to me, I would share them with my Aug 19 sailing roll call and you wouldn't have to bother with others asking since our roll call is the last time this itinerary will be sailed by the Rhapsody. My email address is kacruiser@sbcglobal.net.

Eric is still the CD, but I was told by a ship employee that he will transfer over to the Voyager when it arrives in Galveston....another reason to cruise on the Voyager!! He is VERY involved with the passengers, and is hilarious! He makes every activity possible all day...and half the night! Don't miss him in the Schooner or the Viking Crown! His character for "Superstar Karaoke" is so funny!! You'll love it! I think he does a great job with the ship's entertainment.

I don't remember the captain's name, but the Aug. 5 - 12 cruise was his last for a while. He told us at the Captain's Gala that he would be taking vacation, and even introduced his replacement. Don't know if he will rejoin the ship in Asia...or if we'll see him on the Voyager also. He was a funny guy when he made his announcements everyday. Very friendly also during the picture taking and when you casually ran into him. In fact the whole crew was incredibly friendly! Everyone spoke to you and smiled!

Derek Lewis was worth staying up for too! IF you like a little adult fun...but listen when he tells you to NOT VIDEO...you'll get called to the microphone! LOTS of fun in the Schooner Lounge with him! Yes...I got caught!

We had no problem at the Windjammer, as far as construction. They did most of their work at night, we could see them working from the Observation Deck...but, you couldn't tell anything was going on unless you really looked for it during the buffets. We did wonder however why they couldn't do this work on their way to Asia!!?? One problem at the Windjammer...or Foodjammer (ha)...was the coffee machines running out too soon and having to walk around looking for one that had coffee. They would get more going...but it was inconvenient. Another problem...main problem with me...lots of dishes, cups, and glasses were not clean...watch out for this! They need to work on this problem! Or...they would be very wet, like they were right out of the dishwasher before it went through the drying cycle. The food was all pretty good though and the view from there was always beautiful. The chicken drummetts...fried or BBQ....and the sugared or chocolate covered donuts were our favorites! You have to watch....the donuts go fast!

I didn't notice a real problem with the ice cream machines, but I only tried one and didn't like it! The ice cream was very grainy...not smooth like Dairy Queen....

Oh yeah...things to not miss....make sure....if you drink..to get your ticket for the Cocktail Seminar. We bought ours out by the pool. Ask any of the waiters. They supposedly sell only 150. $9.95 each. Best money you'll spend on the ship! Our "class" was on Tuesday. Also, be sure to take advantage of the champagne at the Art Auctions.

Don't miss the Quest. Eric hosts it. Be prepared for a crazy scavenger hunt!

Excursions...Jamaica...we did the Dunn's River Tour. We enjoyed it because we rode in a air conditioned bus with a great guide. 2 hours travel time each way to Ocho Rios and back, but we saw alot and she was very informative. We booked this through RC because it is a 7 1/2 hr. trip and the ship would wait for us if there was a problem getting back on time.

Grand Cayman.... we booked the Stingray/Snorkel tour with Captain Bryan's. Had a great time. Beautiful and what an experience to see the stingrays. The crew of the sailboat were very professional and gave us all the do's and don't's of the stingrays. We snorkeled very close to the same area at a beautiful coral reef. Then sailed back. The driver then dropped us off at 7 Mile Beach...at our group's request. We snorkeled more there, then caught the city bus across the street back to the shops close to the ship. It cost us 2.50 each to ride the city bus.

Cozumel....Mr. Sanchos....we had been there before the hurricane and had a great time just relaxing and snorkeling right off the beach. There are also boats that will take you out from there to snorkel also. Beautiful spot not too crowded.

We overall had a GREAT cruise!! The weather was perfect...not too hot like Texas is right now! Smooth seas and beautiful beaches!!

Sorry this is so long.....Have a great time!!!

Thanks for the nice review, Williebcruisin--very helpful. :)

Dick and Teddy are a violinist and guitarist duet. They are Phillipino and Dick is bald headed. So do you think this is who you saw?

I'm not surprised that the Captain switched out since a different Captain would be consistent with the info I had. But the CD was supposed to be different and I wonder if we'll get to keep Eric or if they will switch too this week. Seems odd to do so since Eric didn't come on board until July 15, but they have been doing a lot of odd things with the ship and crew.

I have a few other questions, if you don't mind.

Was the Windjammer closed on one side all during the day as well as at night, or only at night? Do you know if they have continued to close the dining room during port days?

Did you go to the Platinium/Diamond event? If so, do you remember what day/time it was on?

Also, did you keep any copies of the Cruise Compass, especially for Saturday? We would really like to obtain copies of the Cruise Compass, or at least the one for Saturday. Please let me know if you can help. My email is kacruiser@sbcglobal.net. Thanks.

Montgomeryfamily...I can't be sure about Dick and Teddy..sorry...don't really remember if one of them was bald.

The Windjammer was closed on one side part of the time, but I never remember this being a real problem. There was never a real issue of not finding a table. We always were able to sit right by a window. It was beautiful.

We were never on the ship during the port days, so I can't answer your question about the dining room...and this was my first RC cruise, so I also can't help you with the Diamond/Platinum event.

Sorry...no Compass either...

fwiw, on the 7/29 cruise, we were seated at a table in the dining room right next to dick and teddy. we heard a waiter say something to the effect of "it's been great to know you." so i went to ask dick if it was their last cruise and he said yes...sorry if you'll miss them:(

That's too bad. In July, I directly asked them if they would be onboard and was told that theywould be. Sorry Montgomeryfamily!

Glad my DW's parents bought me a couple cd's. We have enjoyed reliving the dining experience with their soothing and excellent artistry!

We sailed on Dick and Teddy's last week. (July 29 -Aug 5) Our head waiter said they were taking a 4 month break, then going to a ship out of Florida (Enchantment?) for 3-4 months, and then would come back to the Rhapsody when it came to Australia. He mentioned they loved the Rhapsody and planned to return to it. They are awesome musicians!

We sailed on Dick and Teddy's last week. (July 29 -Aug 5) Our head waiter said they were taking a 4 month break, then going to a ship out of Florida (Enchantment?) for 3-4 months, and then would come back to the Rhapsody when it came to Australia. He mentioned they loved the Rhapsody and planned to return to it. They are awesome musicians!

Is that Dick and Teddy? They were great. On top of playing classical and ballads and everything you can imagine, the violinist played in the backup band for the salute to country music and totally rocked on "Devil Went Down to Georgia" and "Orange Blossom Special". One thing I especially liked was at dinner, they did a set of Christian music that was very nice. They will be missed.

Archived