St Maarten Excursions

gettingmarried

I think I posted this same question a while ago, but didn't seem to get much response, so will try again as my cruise is fast approaching Nov 4!

Has anyone got any recommendations for an excursion/what to do while in Port in St Maarten. Not anything challenging physically! :eek: Thanks

After doing a lot of research, my DH and I have booked the "America's Cup" excursion for our upcoming trip in January. You can choose to do as much or as little as you would like.

We didn't book any excursions while we were in St. Maarten however we found the neatest little French restaurant on the main drag in Phillipsburg. It is called L'escargot and, as the name implies, they prepare escargot many different ways. I have had escargot in many restaurants in many lands but nothing compared to what I consumed here. If you are an escargot fan you simply cannot pass this place up. If you are not an escargot fan they have all kinds of selections. I cannot recommend this place enough, just one of the quaintest and best eating establishments I've been in.

We walked the main drag as well as the beachfront boardwalk, lots of little interesting places to duck into. Stop at a beachfront patio bar and have a couple of cold ones watching the people and everything going on. Take the ferry into town and back. We walked to town and ferried back but next time we'll do the ferry both ways.

Our tablemates did the Americas Cup excursion and said it was great. You can do as little or as much physical exertion as you would like.

We did the St. Maarten Island Tour last year because my DH and GD had never been there. We had a wonderful tour guide who was just full of interesting information and we got to see both sides of the Island. The bus was also fairly new and very comfortable. We also stopped in Marigot to look around and do some shopping. It gave a great overview for a first time visit to the Island. We also had plenty of time left after the tour to take the ferry into Philipsburg and do some shopping and we did sit at one of the places on the boardwark to have a drink and watch the people. My kind of day!!! Not physically challenging at all!

Last February we did an island tour of St. Martin and visited both the French and Dutch sides along with a tour of a nature center, St. Martin Park, which is home to endangered species. It was a great tour and we got to see the entire island. This was our first trip to St. Martin and we wanted to see what the island was like. We booked this excursion through Carnival. Travelgirl

After doing a lot of research, my DH and I have booked the "America's Cup" excursion for our upcoming trip in January. You can choose to do as much or as little as you would like.

My DW and I have done the Americas Cup 3 times and we love it. We would never own a boat like that but it's fun to be on it. You're right when you say you can do as much or little as you want. My wife was the bartender. It really is a lot of fun when the two boats race eachother. My only problem is I've been on the losing boat all three times. Maybe it's me.

Last year on HAL, we took the Delightfully Dutch, Fantastically French Island Tour. Had some time in Marigot and on return you could get off the bus downtown to shop and take the water taxi back to the pier or return to the pier and shop there. (Several shops at the end of the pier). See you on the 4th. Martha

We now just take the local van buses. Only $1.25 anywhere they go, pay when you get off. You just flag them down when you see one - no bus stops. We've gone to Marginot, the Dutch capitol and to beaches. They have a sign on their dash saying where they're going. Once there were 4 of us, opened door and there were only two seats available. Two native gentlemen immediately said 'take our seats, we'll get the next bus' and they got off, giving us their seats! Another time we missed getting off to get back to the ship so the driver turned around and took us back! Tourists seldom use the buses, we've had school children get on, and you get to see the local countryside! We really enjoy taking the bus now!

Archived