Mystery Cruising!

I'm leaving on the Crown in three weeks! :D Because this is during hurricane season, I'm aware that I may have a mystery cruise due to changes to the ports. Can anyone share some fun surprises they got when their cruise turned "mystery?"

Sure.

And this is just reporting not complaining...

For our 20th anniversary we booked the old Crown Princess from Honolulu to Papeete with 4 lovely sea days broken up by a stop at Christmas Island.

We spent a lovely weekend at Waikiki and watched the Crown arrive in port from our balcony at Hilton Hawaiian Village. We set sail at 9pm and our first port was Hilo on The Big Island, it rained but it was a fun day touring Volcanos National Park.

Next stop Maui - not. We couldn't tender in due to high winds so we returned to Honolulu for the afternoon.

Next stop - Kauai - ah, no. Too risky to try to enter the port.

So we sailed on...two and a half days at sea and we arrive at Christmas Island.

Sorry, no stopping here and on we sail for two more days.

By the 5th day DH proclaimed that it was "Bruce's day of fun" - we had a blast as did everyone else with us. We jokingly called it the "cruise to nowhere" while others proceeded to refer to the Captain as "Captain Chicken of the Sea". But we managed to make the most of it and the morning we woke up to find ourselves in Bora Bora made our adventure well worth while. :)

A few years ago we got to go to Columbia instead of Caracau we had a great time.

We also on Disney got to go their island twice and to go to PR instead of St Thomas, we really don't mind where we go, we love sea days and if you miss an Island you have an excuse to book another cruise:D :D :D

What great attituded you cruisers have to the response of this poster's questions. An adventuresome group of people that makes me want to get on the ship with you where ever your cruising too especially during hurricane season. As I see "Dean" approaching the Caribbean, I hope those cruisers are prepared for the fun of dodging islands if it comes their way. :p

What great attituded you cruisers have to the response of this poster's questions. An adventuresome group of people that makes me want to get on the ship with you where ever your cruising too especially during hurricane season. As I see "Dean" approaching the Caribbean, I hope those cruisers are prepared for the fun of dodging islands if it comes their way. :p

I guess it also helps in the way the cruise line handles the issue. DCL was wonderful the captain had a couple of sessions in the theatre to explain, they had overhead images and let everyone know we were going to there private Island first so they could see what direction the storm was going and would then decide on a plan. It was really interesting for everyone and a great chance to visit there Island.

We also had a DCL cruise shortened to a 4 day and they handled it really welll considering the situation they were in.

By getting upset about missing Islands etc you are only ruining your vacation and I trust that the captain will do what has to be done to keept the passengers, crew and ship safe :)

When life hands you lemons make lemonade:D :D

A few years ago we were leaving out of Port Everglades on the Caribbean Princess going eastern... but when we arrived at the ship - we were told that the route was changed to western because the hurricane was coming from the eastern.

The cruise was great - then we headed back to Ft Lauderdale - the same direction as the hurricane. So, the decision was made to spend the night at Cozmel to kill time. The ship handled the delay great. They opened the internet to everyone for free and also the phone to allow everyone to call home. They even called the person you had as your immediate contact person to let them know they were delayed a day or two - and made alternate flight arrangements.

We only ran out of a few fruits as I recall, everything else was as usual. It did take another day just going around in circles along with other ships waiting for Ft Lauderdale to open. Our 7 day cruise turned into a 9 day cruise.

The next cruise was cancelled and special prices were made available for the current passengers to stay on for the rest of the seven days - a 5 day cruise.

The hard part was back @ Port Everglades without electric and walking up 5 flights of steps with my luggage in the parking garage....

Lou

We took a New England cruise on the Golden and followed Hurrican Juan up the coast. Juan took out the pier in Nova Scotia, so we went to Portland, Maine instead. The logistics were a bit of a hassel and the weather not the best, but it was one of my favorite ports on the whole trip!

Still need to make it back up to Nova Scotia, though.

As I see "Dean" approaching the Caribbean, I hope those cruisers are prepared for the fun of dodging islands if it comes their way. :p

We are sailing on Sunday, and I've been spending a good part of today packing. I've pulled out various shirts DH got while we were at different ports of call on previous cruises, and I've packed them all. That way, wherever we DO stop, he'll already have his souvenir shirt. :D Now as for MY souvenirs, ... (We'd better stop SOMEWHERE!)

My personal theory for any cruise is "Hey, I'm not at work, I'm being catered to. I don't care where I'm at. Let someone else wory about it" ;) This frustrates my 2 anal retentive travel mates to no end, but it sure makes the trip fun for me!:p

Archived