Destiny was overbooked by 8 cabins +downgrades to some

steveaaaa

How does sending the docs out earlier change anything? I'm sure the folks mentioned above showed up with docs in hand. I'm missing something.

Many of these overbookings happen AFTER 8 weeks out... if they are sending docs out 8 weeks in advance, they are helping to avoid overbooking by physically placing these people in a cabin... generally that does not happen until days before when they say "oh S&*^, we messed up", LOL!

DMS, We are also sailing on Sept 12 on the destiny. Is our ship full? We booked a Bal. G. 8A and recieved our docs about 2 weeks ago. What do you think our chances will be for us to get a ship that is ooverbooked? I too, am starting to get worried.

My estimation method is to select your cruise, and go category by category and view what is there. if there are 9 cabins listed, there are probably a lot more than that available. If there are 8 or fewer, that category is nearly sold out.

There is a twist. Carnival shuffles folks around a lot (upgrades) to make room in the fastest selling categories for that cruise. They update the listing about 4 times daily. All of a sudden a sold out category re-appears and visa-verse.

Many of these overbookings happen AFTER 8 weeks out... if they are sending docs out 8 weeks in advance, they are helping to avoid overbooking by physically placing these people in a cabin... generally that does not happen until days before when they say "oh S&*^, we messed up", LOL!

I'm running this through my apparently disfunctioning brain and I still don't get it. Are you saying that because they send the docs earlier they'll know to sell less cabins? I think they know every minute of every day how many cabins they've sold, where they are, and how many they have left. I don't see how the docs have anything to do with it?

Maybe it's the heat. Going to make something cold :)

"Well, everyone was asking why they changed the guarantee policy a couple of weeks ago and I think this would be one of the primary reasons... perhaps now that they are assigning cabins 8 weeks out, the problem will resolve. Although our ship was overbooked 5 months out"

They changed the guarantee policy? I just booked a guarantee for the first time.

If they don't have a room for me, I will sleep with the Captain...cause I'm not going home. :)

Instead of waiting til the last minute to assign a GTY a cabin, they will start doing it early on. This also allows them to print up the correct cabin assignment luggage tags so that luggage doesn't get lost (don't forget the Porter ransom money) on the way to your cabin.

In short, instead of "penciling" your cabin in, they "ink" it in. I'm sure that Carnival has come up with better cabin assignment algorythm software.

They want to improve the customer experience. This is what drives any good business. No one wants bad service or a bad experience on their cruise. They won't come back. A cruise is not transportation like an airline, it is an experience.

I'm running this through my apparently disfunctioning brain and I still don't get it. Are you saying that because they send the docs earlier they'll know to sell less cabins? I think they know every minute of every day how many cabins they've sold, where they are, and how many they have left. I don't see how the docs have anything to do with it?

Maybe it's the heat. Going to make something cold :)

Once they send the documents, they have assigned a cabin... it is in writing and there is no more guesswork... if you can imagine all the guarantee bookings that are coming in each day, you can see where a mistake could be made... most cruises sell out in the last 2 months, this helps to insure that the people booked have a cabin, hopefully.... I can definitely see it as a plus!!!!!

mc, my understanding has been, since I started researching the Destiny, that when it isn't a full sailing, Puerto Rican residents get great discounts on last minute fares. Thus the reason why everyone says the greater percentage of the ship doesn't speak english. Which is why it surprised me when I saw Steve had posted about the Destiny. I would guess the bumped passengers would be local residents, but Steve would have to verifiy that for us. When I checked on those cabins changes on the 19th of July, there were quite a few OV and Balc cabins still available. If I get a minute tonight or tomorrow I'll call and see if I can get an idea.

The people mentioned above had docs otherwise they wouldn't have been there and it didn't do them much good. Maybe they had TBA docs. Maybe that's what I'm missing. I still think they use a formula to 'know' how many cabins to sell. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though ;)

This is how the new policy looks to me.

They assign cabins earlier. They start filling the ship from bottom to top. So if you have a guarantee it's less likely you'll get a significant 'upgrade'. Now, if sales lag, they can offer 'free upgrades' for example, 6A (which they already filled with the guarantees) to 6C/6D, instead of cutting prices. I know they do that now but they could do it even more.

When you book an OV guarantee you pay less than the 6A price anyway so no one gets 'hurt'. And things are more organized at the pier. All in all probably the way to go.

Steve, any idea how many passengers disembarked and how many embarked in Barbados and Aruba? If the ship was already overbooked in SanJuan on Sunday I wonder how many more problems were created on Wednesday and Friday.

200 I was told.

Steve

Steve: you know that when you call Carnival with the same question 5 times you will get the same answer. Do you think this may be the case? Seems like a lot of people to be misplaced.

to check your sailing go to any online agency and make believe ou are buying a cruise. Put in for 2, 3 and 4 people as you will get differnt availabvle cabins for each set of numbers. When you no longer see your sailing as being available it may be sold out. Please also remember that a lot of cabins become available around 70 days before as a lot of people cancel.

I think this is where the cruise lines mess up. THey count on X number of people canceling and they dont.

mc, I would guess the bumped passengers would be local residents, but Steve would have to verifiy that for us.

No, the person I saw had flown in.He was yelling that he had paid two grand for his airline tickets and a hotel the night before,plus $16 for a cab to the hotel and another $16 to get to the pier.He had documents in his hand and he was expecting to be on the ship.

There was very little if any locals. The ship was primarily made up of a wonderful large group from the Bronx,foreigners, and the regular assortment of cruisers.

Steve

Thanks Steve, those are the answers I was wondering about, even though the later is not very promising.

Serene, the 200 number was actually about passengers leaving and arriving at both Barbados and Aruba. The Destiny does 3 continuous cruises: SanJuan to SanJuan, Barbados to Barbados and Aruba to Aruba; which all overlap.

The people mentioned above had docs otherwise they wouldn't have been there and it didn't do them much good. Maybe they had TBA docs. Maybe that's what I'm missing. I still think they use a formula to 'know' how many cabins to sell. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, though ;)

This is how the new policy looks to me.

They assign cabins earlier. They start filling the ship from bottom to top. So if you have a guarantee it's less likely you'll get a significant 'upgrade'. Now, if sales lag, they can offer 'free upgrades' for example, 6A (which they already filled with the guarantees) to 6C/6D, instead of cutting prices. I know they do that now but they could do it even more.

When you book an OV guarantee you pay less than the 6A price anyway so no one gets 'hurt'. And things are more organized at the pier. All in all probably the way to go.

Yes, they had docs more than likely, but even people with TBA's have docs... there is a system in place but as Serene said, they do oversell a little because there are always people that cancel... then they run into issues with the TA's and Carnival selling for the same sailing, and these are booked internationally, not just in the US... I would think they have a great system in place, hence this not happening as often, but no system is foolproof. If you look at the rate people are cruising compared to the last few years, it is increasing BIG TIME, so I'm sure they are having growing pains. When they assign them 8 weeks out, chances are they will upgrade the guarantees to the higher decks and work on selling the less expensive cabins that are easier to sell... I'm not sure it will affect the upgrades as much as people think, as generally they are just deck to deck upgrades anyway. Either way, I think this is in all of our best interest... I know I don't want to be bumped! LOL!!!!!!!

Serene, the 200 number was actually about passengers leaving and arriving at both Barbados and Aruba. The Destiny does 3 continuous cruises: SanJuan to SanJuan, Barbados to Barbados and Aruba to Aruba; which all overlap.

I had never heard that! Is that the only ship that does something like that?

When they assign them 8 weeks out, chances are they will upgrade the guarantees to the higher decks and work on selling the less expensive cabins that are easier to sell

Think about it. Those guarantees are already sold, money in the bank. If they assign them to 6A the people are getting a 6A for less than they would have paid if they booked a specific cabin. Good deal for them. Now, if slow, Carnival can sell 6D cabins for 6A prices. What are you more likely to choose - pay 6A, get 6A or pay 6A get 6D? :)

Sure agree about the bumping though, it would sure be a sad, sad day here in West Texas :)

Thanks for clearing that up Steve. Scarey to think we plan all year for a cruise vacation and it can it all can change. WOnder how they determine who gets bumped. I thought they try to bump locals first as I am seeing that is what happens on the Baltimore cruises...no matter when they booked even at almsot a year out--they can get bumped.

Can someone explain the *new* GTY policy? Or at post a link to the thread mentioned previously? I must have missed that!

I don't think there is one? There is a new policy about sending docs earlier. Not sure where I saw that.

well, now i'm really nervous....my husband and I and 6 of our friends just booked guaranteed rooms on the destiny-san juan on march 13th. I wouldn't know what to do if we got there and they told us we didn't have a room....how does the boarding work? if we were there early for embarktion, is it like a first come first serve basis when it comes to gty rooms? :confused:

HI,

It is probably not first come first served. They already know who has a room when you get to the pier.If you get TBA luggage tags you don't know what your room is until you get at the pier. They have to have your sail and sign cards ready prior to boarding, so if you are roomless, you will know when you walk up to the counter and they say there is a problem or they call a supervisor over.

I would not be too concerned. They also try and move other people to other ships and sailings to correct overbooking.This is rare that they could not do it on this sailing.The lack of locals was probably a factor here also.

Steve

The new policy is that instead of Carnival waiting to assign cabin #'s the day of the cruise, you will receive them when you get your docs, they will start mailing docs out 6-8 weeks prior to cruising.

Really, I don't think there is any reason for everyone to panic. This happens rarely... sure, it happens, but no need to get the drawers wadded yet... It's not an all too common occurance... and Carnival is attempting to put things in place to avoid it happening in the future...

Archived