More Questions re: Egypt

2travelers

Hi: I have read all the info on GCT Ancient Egypt and the Nile and I see that everyone just raved about the trip. Unfortunately my wanderlust kicked in once again and I am looking at that trip for 2009 (after getting home from Russia last week and looking towards SA in March). I am realizing that although the trip looks great, the first five days are mostly optionals and except for the host's dinner, only breakfast is included. This can get a bit pricy if we take all the optionals. Can anyone tell me how costly the restaurants are and if all the optionals are a must-see. Also, after checking Trafalga and Vantage and a few others I am totally confused :confused: . Has anyone done some comparisons and is GCT the way to go...in other words...will I get more "bang for my buck" with GCT tours? I need help here guys!

Ronnie

We had a wonderful trip a few years ago with Maupintour. Everything is included and was absolutely first class. Have since recommended them for several other couples who were completely satisfied. For our 17 day tour, there were only 7 people. They have a 10 day trip and a 17 day trip.

Consider Egypt through Vantage www.vantagetravel.com

We are booked on Egypt & the Nile-Land of the Pharaohs. All tours are included with the exception of a hot air ballon ride in Luxor.

Book price on Grand Circle 15 day Ancient Egypt & the Nile is $2195

Vantage Travel 15 day Land of the Pharaohs is $2999

The best web site I have found on Egypt is

http://www.ask-aladdin.com/tips.html

We did the GCT Egypt trip in Feb 2007 and LOVED it. We did all the optional tours in Cairo and as I recall they all had meals included. My memory has faded a little but I can only recall buying 2 meals on our own. Both were at the hotel and I don't recall them being expensive at all. I would encourage you to do the optional tours. We felt that all were worth the money. We've not done any other tours so I have nothing to compare it to but we have not hesitated to sign up for another GCT tour (Romance of the Rhine and Mosel) in September 2008.

Larry

We did the GCT Egypt trip in Feb 2007 and LOVED it. We did all the optional tours in Cairo and as I recall they all had meals included. My memory has faded a little but I can only recall buying 2 meals on our own. Both were at the hotel and I don't recall them being expensive at all. I would encourage you to do the optional tours. We felt that all were worth the money. We've not done any other tours so I have nothing to compare it to but we have not hesitated to sign up for another GCT tour (Romance of the Rhine and Mosel) in September 2008.

Larry

Thanks, Larry. I think my husband and I have decided to go with GCT once they open booking for '09. I expect he will still be using a walker at to go touring at that time, and being able to book optional tours on-site is the best thing for us. I noticed that the optionals are not to expensive. I expect to definitely take the Abu Simbel trip, and the rest we will do as long as he feels up to it. We have traveled extensively in the past, so at this point I am OK with winging it. It seems to me that GCT has the most to offer.

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I have followed up on all of your suggestions. We expect to travel once again with my CC friend 7SeasLover. We met last year on CC and planned our entire pre-cruise and private tours in Istanbul and the Med with her. How nice it is to be able to access so much info from so many people and then to meet and travel with them to boot. These boards are just a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks guys, Keep the info coming ;)

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

I know you said you have done a lot of traveling but I must tell you that the GCT Egyptian trip involves a LOT of walking not only on the optional tours but the whole trip. Much of it is over uneven ground. I think it would be very difficult for someone using a walker. I suggest that you talk to the GC reservation people about the advisability of taking this trip if your husband is using a walker.

That being said, if you do go, the Abu Simbel trip must be reserved ahead of time (45 days I thihnk). You are asked to select other optional tours on the 1st or 2nd day. I don't know if you can sgn up for them the day of the tour (or the night before).

Best of luck,

Larry

May I suggest a wonderful novel to read before you go? The River God by Wilbur Smith. It is a novel of ancient Egypt and centers around time of Kings on Elephantine Island.

Also does your husband need the walker or would a cane chair do. They are sold in campimg goods stores and by Magellan. They can be used as a cane and then while standing open to a 3 legged seat. I used my all thru Egypt, because of the sand. Pat

Hi Pat: Thanks for your suggestion. My husband uses the walker mainly to keep him going. He had some major spine surgery (after a minimally-invasive surgery turned into Murphy's Law) and has a problem walking any distance without stopping to rest. He can't go more than 1/2 block without stopping without the walker. The walker allows him to keep going. I tell him to put that puppy into second gear and move :D. We have traveled through Rome, Istanbul, Ephesus and most of the Med with the walker. We just got home from our trip to Russia. We did try the three-legged chair the year before his surgery, but it doesn't work as well for him. His problem is not fatigue from walking but fatigue from the muscles not holding him upright. The walker helps with that. Thanks for your input. Hopefully, one day soon he will not need the walker for these trips. That is the only time he uses it.....walking short distances is not a problem.

I just tread the review of the GCT Egypt trip on the Reviews page of CC Board. OK...now I am chomping at the bit. I will definitely pick up the book you recommended. I am looking towards 2009 and am not even paying the slightest attention to the March 2008 plans we have to go to South America. This Egypt thing has really got me psyched.

Ronnie

Hi, we've just launched a terrific Come Aboard story on a GCT Nile River cruise -- if you've gone, you'll have fun reliving the experience. And if you're considering it -- you'll get more details about the trip than you imagined possible. Check it out here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=612853.

Best regards,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruisecritic.com

Archived