Bridge Tours

ruthlessraf

Some of our friends who are veteran cruisers tell tours of the bridge were common a few years back. Have all the cruise lines discontinued them for security reasons since 9/11? If not what would be the best way to get invited to a tour of the bridge?

Some of our friends who are veteran cruisers tell tours of the bridge were common a few years back. Have all the cruise lines discontinued them for security reasons since 9/11? If not what would be the best way to get invited to a tour of the bridge?

The official response is "no bridge tours." Many of us have gotten bridge tours by asking for one in a note to the captain. Ask the purser's desk to get it to the captain. We did, and two days later found an invitation to a bridge tour waiting for us in our room.

The bridge tour was on a sea day, it was just us and one other couple. We spent about almost an hour on the bridge, the two officers and seaman on duty were great, they showed us everything and answered any questions we had.

We had a tour of the bridge with our anniversary package back in 2002. Although I had read the bridge was off limits a while after that, the higher-priced special occasion packages are indeed showing a bridge tour. So apparently they are doing the tours again.

In October 2005, we did the Star Princess repositioning from Copenhagen to Ft. Lauderdale. Because of what was left of Hurricane Rita, we did not make it into Greenland as planned, so the captain allowed bridge tours for whoever wanted one during the sea days between Iceland and Newfoundland. It didn't quite make up for missing Greenland, but it helped.

I sent a nice, personal note to the Captain on our last cruise. Received a nice bottle of wine from the Captain (for our anniversary, I think), and later an invitation for a bridge tour. We toured for quite a while with another couple who had also sent a note (no wine for them - which is why I think it was because I had mentioned our anniversary).

We were asked to keep it discrete, and not mention it to others on board - we kept it quiet at our table until the last night. I think they don't want to be overwhelmed by requests. They kept saying (and it's in our letter of invitation) that this was not a "normal" occurance - kind of like we were getting a "special" treat that was never given, but yet there were two of us there.

The captain remembered my letter when I met him at the Captain's Circle party & thanked him - he wished us a happy anniversary. (He was not on the bridge during the tour.)

Try a personal note - I used the ship's stationary from my room - when you get on board (turn it in to the purser's desk), and most of all, don't forget a thank you note afterwards. I used the info from the patters to make my note personal (mentioned I teach kids his son's age; mentioned my husband enjoys naval literature - all true).

Truly enjoyed the bridge tour. Pictures are not up on our website yet, but should be eventually.

You asked if anyone actually has made it into Greenland.

We did on Royal Princess, 8-98. Captain Andy Proctor was bound and determined to do it, and he did. We couldn't tender at original port, as the "floats" had not been brought down by tug, so we landed a little to the Northwest - at some place with an unpronounceable and hard to spell name.

Glad we got in - rather interesting, what with the brightly colored houses and all.

I've talked to a few others who have also gotten in - but like the Falkland Islands, it is often not doable due to weather and tidal conditions.

Archived