I love my husband!

woodmill100

He's told me to book a cruise to "wherever" in January as we both have 10 days off work. A bit of reasearch last night has come up with the 5 night roundtrip from Miami to Key West and Grand Cayman. We'll have 2 nights in Miami before and one night after before flying back to the UK.

Got our TA looking at prices as we speak for CC and SS although after some research CC seems a better deal to me than SS :confused: which seems very odd. Anyway, we're managing to get away which is all that matters.

One quick question (which I will ask but will try and find out myself too before TA phones back). Which side of the ship is best when leaving Miami?

Many thanks

I don't think it would make much difference. Port or left will have a north view, starboard or right will have a south view. Aft would be best, but I don't think those would be great cabins on the Century.

Rollie

Thanks Rollie

TA came back and a SS is only £65 (about $120) each more expensive but the cabins on offer are those at the aft looking over the wake (first cruise so excuse me if I have terms etc wrong!)

He's managed to hold it for 24 hours so I can investiage properly.

I don't know of any Sky Suites on Century that look over the back of the ship, but I could be mistaken. We had a Sky Suite on Deck 12 and we absolutely loved it. We had five suites (1210, 1212, 1218, 1220 and 1230) and all were in a wonderful location. Book the SS, you'll love it.

If you wish to see South Beach - the port or left side would do it.

to the right is shipping piers.

Since you are spending 2 nights in Miami, one evening try to go to the park at the south end of Miami Beach and sit and watch the cruisehips go out to sea - you will be so close to them !

We love Scotland - have a wonderful cruise !

The port side is best leaving Miami, you will see any ships pass that leave before you, and South Beach. People that drive along the bridge out to South Beach often honk and wave at the ships pulling out. It's much more festive than the other view.

The other side is industrial.

We are doing this cruise in February. I was told the starboard side had a better chance of facing the town in Key West. Grand Cayman is a tender, so it doesn't matter.

Did you mean CC cabins (Concierge?). I looked into these but on Century they are the same size as the 2A balcony's, and the balcony is the same size as well. The only difference I could find was flowers and a fruit basket in the cabin, so I didn't think it was worth the $100 or $125 per person difference.

Someone said there was a better room service selection, so I would like to hear what is on the menu in the various cabins, as I do like to order breakfast on the port days.

The port side is best leaving Miami, you will see any ships pass that leave before you, and South Beach. People that drive along the bridge out to South Beach often honk and wave at the ships pulling out. It's much more festive than the other view.

The other side is industrial.

Definitely the port side leaving Miami. There is some wild/crazy guy out along the water that has a loudspeaker with music and finally says a Bon Voyage to the ship. Even seen short firework displays from some of the hotels.

Even seen a boat come up with a beautiful redhead on board in a bikini, and then without ;). Probably not going to happen with new security rules - she might have been hiding something.

But you didn't ask about the REAL gem.

Key West.

First come gets a berth, late comers use a tender. As a US ship I guess Celebrity will get a birth. Once ashore you are almost in the main street.

First time we went (4 days) we had been recommended to go to Jimmy Buffets (pronounced buffettes) but didn't as it was too crowded in the evening. Second time, off the ship, we did. Great place for a cool beer. Halfway down the main street, on the right from the ship.

KW is a walkers or bikers paradise. I would suggest do your own thing rather than a tour. If you have time, and the inclination to return there for a holiday, check out Heron House Hotel. Superb. Their deal includes breakfast -7-11 and wine-cheese at sunset for an hour.

Woodmill...have you looked at doing the 10 or 11 night (pull a sickie for extra night flying!) constellation ultimate caribbean also in January? You can fly glasgow/london, Celebrity Uk do the whole package and theres bargains to be had. If you get a price from X, take it to Thos Cook or if you bank with RBOS, go thru their royalties travel service and get miniumum 10% off. Its fab cruise and great prices from scotland! Scottish cruise centre also very good on price! The pound so strong against the dollar right now gettting us all great deals from here!:D

Woodmill...have you looked at doing the 10 or 11 night (pull a sickie for extra night flying!) constellation ultimate caribbean also in January? You can fly glasgow/london, Celebrity Uk do the whole package and theres bargains to be had. If you get a price from X, take it to Thos Cook or if you bank with RBOS, go thru their royalties travel service and get miniumum 10% off. Its fab cruise and great prices from scotland! Scottish cruise centre also very good on price! The pound so strong against the dollar right now gettting us all great deals from here!:D

Thanks, Will look into this. Would near to pull a sickie as we both only have a week off work! Going to have a look now. Forgot about the RBS thing we have :eek:

Woodmill, what date are you looking to sail? We will be on Century 1/21 and also 1/26. Hope to meet you if you are on board during one of these times.

Century is a lovely ship with a great crew and the Captain, in January, is the nices on the seas, IMHO.

Hello to a fellow Fifer

We have done many cruises leaving Miami and for me the best place is on deck so you can get both sides. Often there are many other ships in port and it is great fun waving to and at the passengers on the other ships. One cruise director had us shouting at a Carnival ship proving we had the best party atmosphere not them, I think we were on NCL that time. Sail away is also a good opportunity to drink that CC complimentary champagne.... gets the cruise off to the 'right' start.

Any cruise in January is great, leaving behind a cold damp grey winter and flying right into warm sunshine. Have a great trip whatever cabin and side of the ship you are on.

Woodmill, what date are you looking to sail? We will be on Century 1/21 and also 1/26. Hope to meet you if you are on board during one of these times.

Century is a lovely ship with a great crew and the Captain, in January, is the nices on the seas, IMHO.

We're looking at the cruise on 7 January but this may change. Still waiting on work confirming the time off is ok and cabins are selling! Might see you there!

Hello to a fellow Fifer

We have done many cruises leaving Miami and for me the best place is on deck so you can get both sides. Often there are many other ships in port and it is great fun waving to and at the passengers on the other ships. One cruise director had us shouting at a Carnival ship proving we had the best party atmosphere not them, I think we were on NCL that time. Sail away is also a good opportunity to drink that CC complimentary champagne.... gets the cruise off to the 'right' start.

Any cruise in January is great, leaving behind a cold damp grey winter and flying right into warm sunshine. Have a great trip whatever cabin and side of the ship you are on.

*sends a wave to Kirkcaldy from Dunfermline *

That's exactly why we want an extra holiday away. Sick of the rain here and that's just for Summer! Never been to Miami so it is an added bonus having a couple of days there too.

Where in Miami do you usually stay? I am presuming the beach area is best?

Woodmill, dont forget your RBS gives you free travel insurance and airport lounge vouchers! Just find the best deal, and they will match it and then give you their 10% as well! :D

The Connie cruise which sails 28/01 means fly from Glasgow sunday morning, heathrow to miami sunday afternoon, one night pre cruise and then you are back home on a saturday (fly back Miami Fri night) you need ten working days off for this????

BUT the trip you have planned also sounds wonderful and you can always do this one another time:D

Hope you're taking your kilt!!!!

Woodmill, dont forget your RBS gives you free travel insurance and airport lounge vouchers! Just find the best deal, and they will match it and then give you their 10% as well! :D

The Connie cruise which sails 28/01 means fly from Glasgow sunday morning, heathrow to miami sunday afternoon, one night pre cruise and then you are back home on a saturday (fly back Miami Fri night) you need ten working days off for this????

BUT the trip you have planned also sounds wonderful and you can always do this one another time:D

Hope you're taking your kilt!!!!

Hey Blondie

Hubby will definitely be taking his kilt! Any excuse. I don't think we'd get a week off that late in January but hubby has never really wanted to do the carribean so I am pleased that he will go this time. Hopefully, he'll get the bug and want to go again.

At the moment, we've got Edin-Heathrow-Miami, 2 nights hotel, 5 nights in SS on Century really cheap but I will definitely phone RBS when we get our dates sorted.

He's told me to book a cruise to "wherever" in January as we both have 10 days off work.

I hope you have a sense of humor.

All I could think of when I read the title, and this part of your post was the old joke about the husband that calls home and tells his wife "I just won the lottery jackpot! Pack your bags!". She says "Wonderful! Should I pack for warm weather or cool?". He says "I don't care as long as you're out of the house by the time I get home with this check."

Of course from your posts I see you've confirmed the husband is going WITH you on the cruise. :)

Harris

If you have ten days off you might enjoy at least a seven day cruise. Some of the five day cruises are not as special because they are so short. I think the shorter cruises are different levels of service (lower), food, and clientele. I realize that this is a broad statement, however, I have been on forty some cruises and this is what I have found. JMHO:)

If you have ten days off you might enjoy at least a seven day cruise. Some of the five day cruises are not as special because they are so short. I think the shorter cruises are different levels of service (lower), food, and clientele. I realize that this is a broad statement, however, I have been on forty some cruises and this is what I have found. JMHO:)

We have been on several 5 day cruises on X. I cannot say that I have found any of them to be below X par as far as food and service are concened. The clientel---they tend to be younger but still mostly nice to be around. (There are "jerks" on any cruise and of all ages.)

whatever the OP decides, i am sure they will have a great cruise.

We're looking at the cruise on 7 January but this may change. Still waiting on work confirming the time off is ok and cabins are selling! Might see you there!

Any chance you can get an extra day off in Jan. we are doing the Southern Caribbean on the Galaxy 10 nights Jan 4/08 great islands you would love it but may not have enough time, as the price is definitely right.:)

Archived