Oceania vs. Azamara to SA

pipster37

My husband and I are thinking about going to South America this Nov. or Dec. We have been on Oceania and thought it was wonderful. I am pricing almost the identical cruise on Oceania and Azamara and the Azamara is about $3000 less. I would love to try the new ship and especially save the $. When we first took Oceania about 3 years ago we got a great deal, they have goine way up since then. I am wondering if Azamara is doing the same trying to make a name for itself. Any commments?:)

I think the jury is still out on Azamara!

Make sure you are comparing the same number of days and port stops, airfare, taxes etc...

I just priced out a cruise on O & AZA it was only a couple of hundred $$ difference.

check the bottom line

I just check a similar cruise we booked on O with AZA and for 2 extra nights on AZA it is $2800.

This O versus Azamara thread has come up several times. Understanding that we're all O fans (my wife and I are booked for HK-Athens in 2008 and BCN - Miami in 2008), I still want Azamara to be successful enough to help keep O's pricing increases under control. I've read on other CC threads that the cruises we've booked for 2008 are up >$1000 in 2009 - they're not on the O site yet so I can't confirm. Bottom line, a little more competition will help keep O on its toes! BTW, when you compare pricing between O and Azamara, make sure you account for O's included air fare.

The biggest advantage for Azamara now is availability. Many Oceania cruises are sold out or have very limited availability (at sky-high prices). As a new line, Azamara has very good availability in a wide range of stateroom classes for itineraries very similar to Oceania's. So if you can't find a cabin on O, certainly check out AZ. AZ also offers Senior Discounts (over 55 years old) on a number of cruises (I don't think O does that). But they won't be available on Celebrity/Azamara's website--only through TAs.

As asked the cruises I am comparing (between Azamara and O) Have identical ports, same amount of days and so called free air. Oceanias pricing is getting a little high. When they first started they had fabulous deals that we took advantage of. That may be why Azamara has a lower price for the same trip. We might try, we did not know from O before we tried them. :)

This O versus Azamara thread has come up several times. Understanding that we're all O fans (my wife and I are booked for HK-Athens in 2008 and BCN - Miami in 2008), I still want Azamara to be successful enough to help keep O's pricing increases under control. I've read on other CC threads that the cruises we've booked for 2008 are up >$1000 in 2009 - they're not on the O site yet so I can't confirm. Bottom line, a little more competition will help keep O on its toes! BTW, when you compare pricing between O and Azamara, make sure you account for O's included air fare.
I'm a big fan of Oceania too and can't see a Celebrity product being in the same field because Celebrity just doesn't serve their customers as well, but your message makes a lot of sense to me. I don't want Oceania prices to be so high that they are unaffordable for us too.

Donna

I love Oceania and have also sailed on Celebrity. Azamara only gives you one night for free in the alternate restaurants. You have to pay $25 per person to eat there after that.

Jan, I would be very interested in your review when you return. Bon Voyage!!! Please check if they enforce the smoking restrictions.

Sheila

I love Oceania and have also sailed on Celebrity. Azamara only gives you one night for free in the alternate restaurants. You have to pay $25 per person to eat there after that.

Jan, I would be very interested in your review when you return. Bon Voyage!!! Please check if they enforce the smoking restrictions.

Sheila

Thanks Sheila,

Checking on the smoking is one of the reasons I am going on Azamara..just tried MAJ to Alaska on Empress of the North and wouldnt send my worst enemy on that ship (translate tub) if I had any enemies..anyone thinking about sailing on it read my report in the next few days on their cruise critic site..

Jan

Jan, looking forward to your azamara report, if it sounds ok I think we will give it a go. In some ways O has done me a favour by giving us a bad cruise then upsetting us. As we are now looking elsewhere which is something I never thought we would do.

regards JimGib

Many folks think the two Azamara ships (the ex Renaissance R6 and R7) are the same as Oceania's 3 ships (R1, R2, R5). While similar, the Azamara ships don't have penthouses on deck 8. That's the reason that the passenger capability on Azamara is 710 vs. 684 on O's ships.

Looking forward to your review of the Journey, Jan - hope all's well with you and Stu! Just returned from a 12-day Grand Princess cruise; makes me appreciate O all that more!!

Many folks think the two Azamara ships (the ex Renaissance R6 and R7) are the same as Oceania's 3 ships (R1, R2, R5). While similar, the Azamara ships don't have penthouses on deck 8. That's the reason that the passenger capability on Azamara is 710 vs. 684 on O's ships.

Looking forward to your review of the Journey, Jan - hope all's well with you and Stu! Just returned from a 12-day Grand Princess cruise; makes me appreciate O all that more!!

Hi Mike,

When Journey was in dry dock they added PH on deck 8 and they now call them Sky Suites..I believe there are 32 of them..they will also be adding the same amount to Quest..

I was just on a 7 day Alaska on Empress of the North..which was so bad..I couldnt believe it..I will be reporting shortly on Majestic American's board! Looking forward to our New Zealnd/Australia in January..Hope all is well with you and Carol

Jan

Re-read the thread about your experiences on the Regatta just before dry dock and can't believe I had forgotten about it. At the time I was very concerned because we were booked on Regatta's Baltic cruise in May which fortunately turned out just fine. Sorry you went through so much grief and I agree that O should have responded to your complaints faster. Although I've never had reason to contact them personally, the Miami office seems to be a weak link in O's chain. However, we still enjoy the line (especially the food and fellow pax) and have booked our first TA in November of 2008. I'll post a candid review once it's over, and assuming it's positive I hope you will reconsider your stance and we'll meet on the high seas one day.

China,

Agreed the passengers with O are probably one of their great assets , they all seem such great people, I wondered if they were interviewed them before given a cabin. We have done many TAs love them and done 2 with O. you will enjoy I am sure!

Pity management at Oceania is not even half as good as the staff & crew that try so hard, and obviously are doing it in vain without the back up from head office and senior management.

Enjoy your cruise.

Regards JimGib

Hi Pipster,

GO on Azamara Journey. I was on July 28 to Aug 4th to Bermuda and she was a work in progress (see http://www.avidcruiser.com/geoff and click on Azamara),

but even so we had a great time and loved the ship. An Azamara VP told me that the nipping and tucking will soon be finished and on that transition cruise to Bermuda and SA, she will be "awesome".

My wife and I will be on board.:D

I have just read the review and enjoyed it very much..what took me back were the pictures..the ship and decor is almost an exact copy of Oceania..I will be on Journey on 9/1 and look forward to feeling very at "home"

Jan

Somehow, looking at the Azamara website, the stern half of deck 8 is filled with PH sized (1.5x width) minisuites while the bow half has regular cabins. Celebrity must have made some major physical changes to deck 8 if that drawing is correct. Perhaps those of you who have been on Azamara can tell us.

This is very interesting, as Oceania wants to go to large new ships, Celebrity is starting this new "division" of small "R ships". Perhaps if Oceania's orignial owners had done what Celebrity has with R6-8, they would not have to sell to the new investment company.

• 3 months later...

We have done similiar cruises on Oceania (Regatta and Insignia) and on Azamara (Journey) 14 to 18 day repositioning cruises. I would say Oceania is the better deal even at that price difference. If you find the food on Oceania as exceptional as we do, I don't think the chef's on the Journey can possibly rise to that level. Right now they are not at the level of Celebrity in food preparation and or service. If you are going mostly for the ship and cabin service, you will be happy on either.

This is very interesting, as Oceania wants to go to large new ships, Celebrity is starting this new "division" of small "R ships". Perhaps if Oceania's orignial owners had done what Celebrity has with R6-8, they would not have to sell to the new investment company.

I don't understand your comment?

Do you think Oceania should have removed the PH suites?

AZA added only a few PH suites to deck 8 the others are regular cabins.

The rest of the ships are the same layout...even the carpet on AZA ships are the same as O from the photos

I think in 4 years Oceania has come a long way.

Somehow, looking at the Azamara website, the stern half of deck 8 is filled with PH sized (1.5x width) minisuites while the bow half has regular cabins. Celebrity must have made some major physical changes to deck 8 if that drawing is correct. Perhaps those of you who have been on Azamara can tell us.

You have to be kidding Meow, they didnt have to sell, they wanted to sell..$850m is not small change!!

and I dont believe Celebrity will build small ships..they cannot make money with them with what it costs to build today !!

Jan

I didnt realize this was such an old post when I amswered it!

Archived