Solo debarkation ??

IwannaGo Now

I have traveled solo many times, and usually drive, and park at the pier. My only problem is debarkation. Porters don't want to go to the parking garage....unless there's a LARGE tip involved. I have some issues that make it difficult to get me, and my luggage back to my car. Anyone got any suggestions?? My next cruise is the Legend, 9/2, out of Tampa. Thanks

I also travel solo at times. In fact, my next solo cruise is in 16 days. I leave the day after you :). I do not drive to any ports, so I don't have any suggestions, in that specific regard. All that to say, that perhaps you will need to budget a LARGE tip in, unfortunately. While, I agree, most people should help out of the goodness of their hearts, it is sadly, not a reality as these people are working for a living. When cruising solo, I understand that things are different than when I am traveling with others and make proper adjustment. Maybe you will meet someone on the cruise that is parked in the same garage, and can help :). Have a wonderful cruise.

Marie

I'm glad I read this thread because it's something I have never given a thought to not having ever cruised alone. I will now, however, think of it with the solo cruisers I meet and offer them any help I might be able to give to assist in these types of situations.

Is your luggage on wheels? If not, you could buy one of those small lightweight luggage carts that airline stewards use. I'm a solo cruiser (female), and I've never had any problems getting my luggage to my car. I put my smaller piece of luggage on top of the larger rolling one.

When I got a porter in Ft Lauderdale to bring my stuff to the 2nd flr garage, I tio him $15, and he complained that I tied him up for a long time, blah blah, I gave him another $5. How much do these guys expect. I only had 1 big case, and a garment bag!

I always tip $5 at embarkation....to insure my bags get onboard. :confused:

When I got a porter in Ft Lauderdale to bring my stuff to the 2nd flr garage, I tio him $15, and he complained that I tied him up for a long time, blah blah, I gave him another $5. How much do these guys expect. I only had 1 big case, and a garment bag!

I always tip $5 at embarkation....to insure my bags get onboard. :confused:

You mentioned earlier that you have issues that make it difficult to get you and your luggage out to the car. While it's no one's business what they are I can assume you have a mobility problem and it takes you longer to walk with the porter to your vehicle. I'd say just tip him the $15 and forget about his attitude. If he is lucky to live to old age it will take him longer to walk places too and shame on him for "trying" to make you feel bad. Don't feel bad.

If you do have some physical issue I would suggest checking out the disability board and seeing how people over there suggest you handle this.

Good luck and enjoy your solo cruising.:)

I'd say just tip him the $15 and forget about his attitude. If he is lucky to live to old age it will take him longer to walk places too and shame on him for "trying" to make you feel bad. Don't feel bad.

While good advice, it is sometimes easier said than done :(. And, I agree, shame on him, but you would be surprised how often tourists(and especially women) are taken advantage of. Speaking for myself, when I travel alone, it can sometimes be intimidating and you feel vulnerable in certain situations.

Marie

I've never sailed from Tampa, although I live on the North East edge of Tampa.

I was reading that you can't drop off your luggage, and then park. I do have a handicap placard, and am not severely limited, but I don't know how far I'd have to bring my luggage...it could be a problem, if it's too far.

I've been thinking of staying at the Westshore DoubleTree....they have a package that for $89.71 total, you get a night, free parking, and a shuttle to and from the port. Parking alone at the port is $84.

Anybody see any downside to the hotel deal??

I wannagonow, I do this type of thing all the time at ports. I have done it in NOLA, Carnavel, Tampa, FT Lauderdale. I figuire with pier parking fees its kinda like getting hotel for free or close to it. The only thing I run into sometimes is hating to wait for the hotel shuttle after debarkation. I want to get on the road and sometimes I get a taxi back to the hotel.

I've never sailed from Tampa, although I live on the North East edge of Tampa.

I was reading that you can't drop off your luggage, and then park. I do have a handicap placard, and am not severely limited, but I don't know how far I'd have to bring my luggage...it could be a problem, if it's too far.

I've been thinking of staying at the Westshore DoubleTree....they have a package that for $89.71 total, you get a night, free parking, and a shuttle to and from the port. Parking alone at the port is $84.

Anybody see any downside to the hotel deal??

Could you have a friend or neighbor drop you off? Just offer to give them $20 for gas, and bring them back a souvenir. That way you don't have to let your car sit there for a week.

Archived