Bear with me, another credit card question

gmadvm

Okay, I need someone to walk me through this point redemption thing. I read a lot of threads, and just succeeded in confusing myself more.

I am close to the 150,000 for a free cruise for two. My question is, is it truly a free cruise, or is it just $1500 worth of free cruise and you pay the difference. If I book an oceanview that is $1000 a person, do they credit $2000 or do they credit $1500 and I pay the $500 difference. On the royal caribbean website, the rewards program categories do not specify a maximum reward value, but lots of the threads I read had info saying the maximum for each category. Of course that was before they changed the free cruise from 125 thou to 150 thou, so I don't know if it is different. If you actually got a free cruise, it would make more sense to book a cruise in a more expensive season, because you wouldn't be paying for it anyway, and therefore would get more 'value'. If they only give you $1500, might as well book a cheaper cruise so you aren't paying the overage. Any help explaining this to a severely financial savvy deficient person is appreciated. I'm trying to see if I should book a free cruise, or use the 150,000 points to get 3 separate $500 discount coupons. Our next two cruises are in europe, so don't think we will be doing the caribbean any time soon, so if it isn't really a 'free' cruise, we might just use the points for discounts on what we have already booked.

thanks again

p.s., i'm not stirring the pot about the change in points rewards, i truly don't understand how this redemption works

Here is what it states On the RCI site:

150,000con_bulletgray_ico.gifFree 7 night Caribbean or Mexican Riviera sailing for two (minimum available oceanview stateroom).*

*Excludes Christmas and New Year's sailings and is subject to availability.

What that means is no matter what the price, you can book the MINIMUN valued Ocean Stateroom and get it free. I doesn't even limit that booking to "only two people".;)

If you would book a "Balcony" stateroom, then they would find the value of the minimum ocean view on that particular cruise, and credit your purchase that amount. (you would be paying the difference.)

For Example:

You book a D1 cabin that costs $3000 for two people. They look at that cruise and see that the minimum OC is $1800. So you would be credited $1800 and pay only $1200 difference.

Hope This Helps.

The old point sytem had a $1.00 maximum. The new system, allows whatever the cost for the lowest OV cabin is for 2 ( no limit in cost). You do have to pay the port taxes and gov. fees. In other words if you happened to book a 7 day cruise for 2 and picked the lowest OV cabin category, you would only be responsible for the gov. tax and port charges! You are correct in trying to find the highest season rate for the cruise, to utilize the max. value of what an OV cabin would cost. I used the 125K for 2 on the Liberty in June (which was an expensive month for that ship) and got the max value of $2500.00 off my booking. I could of cruised on a different ship , and only got a value of $1400.00, depending on what I would of booked. You will definetly get more value by the free , 7 day for 2 cruise than the 3x $500.00 by using the 150K points. Just find the right cruise!!Some Ov cabins can go for $1500.00p.p. Good Luck!

The rates for OV on the Liberty June 14, July 12, July 19, 2008 start at $1499.00p/p. The June 26, 2008 on the Liberty , OV is $1549.00p/p.

They are out there, you have to look!

I think that's high for a OV for a 7 night cruise but it's for a new ship I guess. It's true that's the price listed for Liberty but I wouldn't be surprised to see the OV rates on Liberty drop closer to sail dates on a promowave. I guess someone would really like the Liberty and pay the airfare if needed to sail her. I use my points for OBC instead of trying for the free cruise as I sail in a JS anyway but I really like having an extra 250.00 OBC to buy what we want and to use for excursions so I take them when they reach 25,000 points and so far have had the OBC for every cruise. those points add up fast!

I just signed up for the card w/15k pts We've already booked 2 that are pd in full but have Feb & Oct "08 balconiess w/deposits. Is there a way to use the pts other than OBC now on these 2? It also said 5-6 wks to get the credits. how long then to receive coupon..which is the way I read the rules? Send for coupon & then have to send it in to someone else? Confusing!:confused: TIA

I think we'll end up taking the cash. If I pick a more pricy season and get an oceanview, i'm only paying that much more to upgrade to the balcony. If I pick a cheaper season and get the oceanview, i'm forfeiting a chunk of cash. ie., if i book a $750 per person oceanview, they will subtact $1500 and i'm still paying more to upgrade to a balcony, even though I didn't use up the $2500 maximum, right? i wish they would make it simple and just give you a $2500 credit. i'd use it on a baltics cruise. we just aren't really interested in the caribbean itineraries out now. and it isn't so much the money but rather getting time off from work. i don't want to use the discount to go on a trip that i don't want to 100% go on, and push a trip i wanted to go on back another year. so even if on paper it would be like giving up $1000, it may end up making more sense for us to take the $1500 discount on where we want to go, in the room we want, rather than the $2500 where we don't want to go, and end up paying more for the room we want. does this make sense?

How difficult is it to redeem your points for the cruises? If I remember correctly there were a number of posts a couple of years ago concerning the problems with redeeming. Perhaps this has been remedied. Have been trying to decide whether or not to go with this card but haven't made the decision due to what I had read.:confused:

Archived