Tendering???

coffee39

When there is no dock space available, some specially-built life-boats that the ship carries are used to ferry you to shore from an anchored position. Sitka and Icy Strait Point are tender-only, but any port can get into that position if too many ships are in.

Murray

when ships post the word "tender", the traveler should investigate further. Are their any handicaps the traveler may have that would make them unable to use the tender. They are not really made for wheelchairs or scooters. some ports have low piers and therefore, you must climb some stairs and I do remember one that had a gangway that was quite steep. Also weather will stop the ships from using their tenders. High surf and wind make it dangerous. I have heard of tenders going out in the morning but by afternoon they are having trouble picking people up at the ports! This may happen at the ships "private islands" also.:o

I don't think rough weather applies to Alaska ports. And gangways and stairs can be steep when you are docking. The crews do a great job getting ppl on and off. Some of those guys sure are big.

Here's a picture I took from the top of the tender boat.

HPIM1075.jpg.b9433b099e3f93b2ffe080064a99bdce.jpg

Another point to consider with tendering, early morning arrivals are definately WAY superior for ease in getting off your ship. If you have an afternoon arrival, be VERY careful about booking independent tours as, there can be extensive waits for tenders, and the priority given to ship tours.

I have heard of waits of over an hour in Alaska.

Archived