Muster Drills

Donna573

Hi everyone! I know this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find anything recent. I will be going on my 3rd Carnival cruise in December and was wondering if they strictly enforce the rules regarding everyone attending the muster drill. I know we should be there, but if we decide to hide-out in our cabin, will they actually come looking for us? How would they know who is there and who isn't?

Hi everyone! I know this has been asked before, but I wasn't able to find anything recent. I will be going on my 3rd Carnival cruise in December and was wondering if they strictly enforce the rules regarding everyone attending the muster drill. I know we should be there, but if we decide to hide-out in our cabin, will they actually come looking for us? How would they know who is there and who isn't?

Please go to the drill, cabins are checked, people who hide and try not to attend, not only are they making it difficult for the cruise line to comply with maritime safety regulations, making the other passengers wait around till the missing are found, it gives the wrong impression to the cabin attendant, and finally, puts him or her in an awkward position. They don´t like reporting their passengers for non attendance or avoidance but are required to, some of them may then think that their passengers will be upset with them (because of this) for the rest of the week....best to go

Our Glory cruise last year, Muster took so long, that we did not get to be on deck for deporting. We were already past the break water by the time we got back on deck. I also had a panic attack because we were in the back and it was so hot and crowded that I could not breathe and almost passed out. With the wheelchair, I am hoping to be able to stay up front this time close to the air and not in the crowd.

Guess people hiding is the reason why.

I will be in a wheelchair. Are there special arrangements for handicap passengers?

i just do not understand some of you people !!! the muster drill is not that bad and it really is not very long, you will be at sea for quite a while and this brief drill at the very beginning should be no problem at all besides the fact that it is for your own safety as well as everyone around you and YOUR LOVED ONES !!!, SO JUST SUCK IT UP AND GO TO THE DAMN DRILL.

I think Carnival should start doing a roll call, like NCL does..they check your name off as you show up for the drill...then afterwards..those lazy bums that didn't show up have to attend their own private muster drill...Sometimes they announce the names over the PA . LOL :)

I quite enjoy them. It signals the start of my vacation.

Eveything on the ship is shut down during this time and it sure is better than sitting in the bathroom for 30 minutes. Take a camera and get those Kodak moments to enjoy on a cold rainy day at home. ;)

i just do not understand some of you people !!! the muster drill is not that bad and it really is not very long, you will be at sea for quite a while and this brief drill at the very beginning should be no problem at all besides the fact that it is for your own safety as well as everyone around you and YOUR LOVED ONES !!!, SO JUST SUCK IT UP AND GO TO THE DAMN DRILL.

DITTO!

My last muster drill on the NCL Majesty was by far the best yet, held for us in a lounge, one deck up from our cabin, with a staircase across from our cabin directly to the lounge. They were very strict about people being quiet so they could do a roll call, but wouldn't you know many still had to be singled out and asked to be quiet (reminded me of junior high), if these people had just shut up, it would have taken half of the time, still went pretty smooth though.

Here is my advise, SHOW UP PROMPTLY, SHUT UP WHEN THEY ARE GIVING INSTRUCTION, and MAKE THE BEST OF IT, this will help things go faster, but alas there will still be some idiots not paying attention and talking.

Cruise lines are not doing this to interfere with your cruise, but to help you find your way to safety in the event of an emergency.

MAC

If you do not think the muster drill is important just stop and think if you were on the:

• Sea Diamond of the coast of Santorini (sunk)
  • Levina 1 ferry in Indonesia (sunk)
  • Empress of the North off the Alaskan coast (grounded)

If you want a visual then watch Titanic and Poseidon.

Still want to skip the muster?

I quite enjoy them. It signals the start of my vacation.Take a camera and get those Kodak moments to enjoy on a cold rainy day at home. ;)

I totally agree ! I like meeting the different people at my muster station, and you do get some great shots (c'mon, how often do you see people with huge orange life jackets on . .. ?).

A hint that usually works out well - after the drill, keep your life jacket with you and head straight for one of the upper decks. You'll get to experience sail-away and you can always put your life jacket in your cabin afterwards. Just don't partake of too many "Fun Ship" drinks and misplace your life jacket ! (although, since they are all marked with your cabin #, I guess it would eventually find its way back to you ! )

The muster is a U S Coast Guard regulation. It is in place for the safety of all passengers be they guests or crew. If people would just get their butts in gear and get there it would be over and done with in short order. I too wish Carnival would take specific roll. It would make it less difficult for people to try to skip out as they can call them over the speakers. On my Dec. 06 NCL Jewel cruise, we were checked off as we entered the muster station. A crew member had a list on a clipboard and our life jackets had our cabin numbers on them.

Insofar as the poster in the wheelchair, just make sure Carnival knows ahead of time. I am sure they will work with you to make sure you get there in a timely and safe manner.

By law everyone must attend the emergency drill and be at your muster station. They do take attendence and they will come for you if you are not there.

It is better that you go and get the information and not need it than not knowing that information when it could save your life.

The stewards will go into every cabin - go to the drill like you know you should and it will go quicker for everyone. It is a Coast Guard requirement.

With so many people like you maybe they should start checking a list and if you don't go to the drill as is required you are put off of the ship at the first port and confined to your cabin until you get there.

It is not that bad and I actually look forward to it because it means we will soon be underway and people watching at the drill is so much fun. I always see something amusing while there.

I didn't think it was bad at all. It was over in 15 minutes. However, right before we left I watched the travel channels "bad things" at sea special and the passengers they interviewed from the Princess fire said that they were all calm and knew what to do when they were awakened in the middle of the night and told to report to their muster stations. I probably shouldn't have watched the show, but it actually put my mind at ease knowing that they take the drill seriously and that everyone knew what to do and where to go in the event of an emergency. I would not complain, it's 15 minutes of safety drills that you pray you'll never need then 7 days of fun. Don't sweat the small stuff, just go.

Our Glory cruise last year, Muster took so long, that we did not get to be on deck for deporting. We were already past the break water by the time we got back on deck. I also had a panic attack because we were in the back and it was so hot and crowded that I could not breathe and almost passed out. With the wheelchair, I am hoping to be able to stay up front this time close to the air and not in the crowd.

Guess people hiding is the reason why.

I will be in a wheelchair. Are there special arrangements for handicap passengers?

You will be going down with the ship!!!!!! ha ha i m juust kidding.. they will take care of you.

I thought, at one point, Carnival did take attendance. I've never sailed on NCL, but distictly remember having to check in with a crew member - can't remember what line it was though (but gut says it was Carnival... )

Yeah - i've normally been on cruises with my family and we tend to have a bit of fun at our muster drills. I agree that its inconvenient - but what can ya do? I've heard a story - hopefully an urban legend - that late-embarking guests that miss the drill do actually get their own private safety review. (i would imagine, if thats actually true - it probably takes all of 10 minutes, but who knows)

Go to the muster drill and enjoy your cruise!

Yes, you have to go to the drill. If you don't care enough about your own life to go then care enough about someone else's. Your confusion in a middle of the night panic could cost someone else their life. Don't be selfish.

Besides it's a great way to meet your shipmates. People bond at points of weakness....

Gee....chill out !!!! We are just expressing an opinion here, too....:p

I thought, at one point, Carnival did take attendance. I've never sailed on NCL, but distictly remember having to check in with a crew member - can't remember what line it was though (but gut says it was Carnival... )

quote]

I remember being "checked off" on a list on my first cruise. That was on the Sensation in December of 2004

• Administrators

On a cruise (any cruise, any line) muster drill marks the start of my true vacation! The odds are hugely in favor that for any given ship, on any given trip, nothing will happen. But if you were on the Sea Diamond, and had ducked out on muster drill for whatever reason you thought was sufficient ("it's boring," "it's hot," "I've heard it all before," "nothing will happen -- the captain of a multi-million dollar vessel couldn't possibly allow her to smash into a reef!") -- wouldn't your anxiety/panic level have been increased because you didn't know the fastest way to get wherever you were supposed to go? I know mine would.

I listen to the airlines' emergency briefings on every flight, as well. I'm a million-miler, flown every type of plane, and I've heard 'em all before -- but I still listen every time because IF an emergency happens five minutes later, the memory is fresh in my brain of what to do on this airplane.

I don't like muster, but in the grand scheme of things, we expect much and are asked for little. This is one of the 'little' things they ask - and it is for our safety that they do it.

Should the unexpected happen, I like knowing that I have some incling (sp?) of where I need to be. Me thinks it would be more work to skip it than to just buck up and go. Doesn't last that long.

And, just how often do you get the opportunity to get a pix of all your friends/family in those awful orange lifevests? They really are priceless.

Archived