Best place to buy smoked salmon?

Mo-n-CJ

How do you plan on bring back "fresh" salmon??? If you are going fishing, Ketchikan is the place, and you will need to have your fish processed and shipped. The cruiseships will not store it for you- at least none that I currently know of.

IF you are looking at "fresh" smoked salmon, I like the Juneau processing, sockeye salmon. Just my favorite and an always excellent consistant product. You can purchase this anywhere. I especially like the Taku Smokery products.

Taku Smokery in Juneau is right down on the docks--a big green warehouse with the Twisted Fish restaurant on the water side. It's across the parking lot from The Tram.

You should be able to get 'fresh' smoked salmon; the fish has been running for a few months now. One issue is what sort of smoked salmon you want, and if you want it to eat right then, or to take home. Alaskan smoked salmon is a perishable product; it's cooked in the smoking process, not raw like lox. (I've seen the gift boxes of smoked salmon sold on gift store shelves--I assume it's packaged specially so it's not perishable.) It can be refrigerated for a while, and then frozen, so you'd need some way to keep it if you're going to take it home. It also comes canned in brine. This product, not to be confused with canned salmon, can be found in more shops, since it doesn't require refrigeration.

The A&P grocery store, just a bit past the State Museum, has smoked salmon and spread in its seafood department. If you get a car or are taking the bus or taxi to the Brewery, Jerry's Seafood and Meat is nearby, with really good smoked fish and spreads.

Archived