Live from QE2

Norfolk Brit

Firstly, this ship is WONDERFUL; comfortable, friendly and with a fabulous lived-in feel. We LOVE it. So, thank you, Malcolm, Matthew, Peter et al; without your infectious enthusiasm we would probably not be here enjoying the best holiday of our lives. Anyone who is wavering about booking - just do it.

Report from the Front - the Battle of the Deckchairs

As you can imagine, the weather is wonderful (sorry about this, everyone in the UK - drizzle seems to be featuring rather heavily in your part of the world). The downside of this is a formidable display of rather un-British behavious whereby chairs are reserved by piling one's possessions on them, and then buzzing off elsewhere for hours. We are ashamed to admit that nearly all the culprits are British. We have seen several with piles of fruit on top of the assorted hats, towels etc - these rather resemble a very bizarre still-life painting. Sir Martin is, of course, participating with great enthusiasm.

Anyway, before I become bankrupt due to the extortionate internet charges on board just time to wish David, Annette, Tom etc, who embark on Sunday, a wonderful trip. Sir Martin is lying in wait......

Cheers (as Penny would say), Mary

Firstly, this ship is WONDERFUL; comfortable, friendly and with a fabulous lived-in feel. We LOVE it. So, thank you, Malcolm, Matthew, Peter et al; without your infectious enthusiasm we would probably not be here enjoying the best holiday of our lives. Anyone who is wavering about booking - just do it.

As you can imagine, the weather is wonderful (sorry about this, everyone in the UK - drizzle seems to be featuring rather heavily in your part of the world). The downside of this is a formidable display of rather un-British behavious whereby chairs are reserved by piling one's possessions on them, and then buzzing off elsewhere for hours. We are ashamed to admit that nearly all the culprits are British. We have seen several with piles of fruit on top of the assorted hats, towels etc - these rather resemble a very bizarre still-life painting. Sir Martin is, of course, participating with great enthusiasm.

Anyway, before I become bankrupt due to the extortionate internet charges on board just time to wish David, Annette, Tom etc, who embark on Sunday, a wonderful trip. Sir Martin is lying in wait......

Cheers (as Penny would say), Mary

Mary,

I'm delighted that you are enjoying your cruise.

However, I have one VERY IMPORTANT question.

Where is the photo of the cat on the propellor?

David

Wonderful Mary...I'm so thrilled for you!!! And thanks for taking the time to write to us all. I've been checking your webcam and seeing all that glorious sunshine....fabulous!! You don't suppose that all those chair hogs have been reading one of those "other" boards do you?

How on earth Is Sir Martin "participating" in anything...has the photo op plan been changed? I could have sworn I saw bits of orange fur stuck to the bow railing!!!

Enjoy, enjoy...so happy for you both and can't wait to hear more when you return.

And a special CHEERS just for you...Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Thanks Mary for reporting in. I am indeed highly anticipating our turn next Sunday and your glowing report certainly makes the wait painful but likely worth it.:)

Well we might not need the deckchairs leaving Southampton or our day - or possibly unexepcted free day at sea - at Guernsey. Who knows, maybe the weather will change dramatically when I arrive.:D

If I don't see them scrubbing orange fur off the ship in Southampton I'll assume Annette has a new cabinmate. I am sure Annette will like the upgrade to Queen's Grill but I am sure her husband won't be too pleased that he's been left behind.

Enjoy your last week on the ship. Don't be surprised though that on Sunday there'll be a bunch of us at the docks trying to hurry you all off the ship.:D

David

Anyway, before I become bankrupt due to the extortionate internet charges on board just time to wish David, Annette, Tom etc, who embark on Sunday, a wonderful trip. Sir Martin is lying in wait

Mary - I am delighted you are both (Mary and Alan that is, not the cat) enjoying it.:) She really is a fantastic ship.:( I am just worried by your last remark. You imply that the cat isn't dead:( I thought that, by this time, it would have been pulverised with nothing remaining except a small, orange, puddle floating on the surface of the Channel.

So glad you're enjoying the ship! She's the best!

As you can imagine, the weather is wonderful (sorry about this, everyone in the UK - drizzle seems to be featuring rather heavily in your part of the world). The downside of this is a formidable display of rather un-British behavious whereby chairs are reserved by piling one's possessions on them, and then buzzing off elsewhere for hours. We are ashamed to admit that nearly all the culprits are British. We have seen several with piles of fruit on top of the assorted hats, towels etc - these rather resemble a very bizarre still-life painting.

Mary

Oh, dear, so sorry to hear about the chair hogging. I thought this was a very American behavior. It seems to happen on all ships nowadays. I very much resent the sunbathing hats and books when I can't find a chair (must say I've never seen fruit used to hold a chair). It starts early in the AM, too. I remember being on deck one time for an early walk and I saw several chairs that had been 'reserved,' and there were no passengers in sight. I had this urge to scoop up all the stuff and move it to the other side of the ship to confuse the owners. But I restrained myself. The ships all say they will harvest unattended items left on chairs, but they never do it.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!

Kathy

Mary! Thanks for checking in!

1) deck chair hogs. Do get us a pciture of the "Fruit on hats' schema. I might want to copy it for my Carmen Miranda outfit

2) Poor Martin. (Penny. I'm not sure, but I think the props are in the stern, not the bow... though those nautical terms do confuse one!) I'm with Annette. You guys are mean!

3) Kathy- It DOES happen. Once (the ONLY time) when we were on that "other" line (that owns this line) Marc and I went for a dip in the hot tubs. Left our towels, my book and my coverup on my deck chair. My thongs (flipflops) were under the chair. It was around 6 PM, so early diners had left and late diners were mostly getting dressed. We were the last ones out there. the deck hands were looking to clean up their stations and put up all of the deck chairs so they could be done with their shifts. When I got out, our chair was gone (stacked!) My stuff was blowing about, and MY SHOES WERE MISSING!! It took me til the end of the cruise- a note slipped under my door as we slept on the last night, to get them back, despite repeated attempts, requests and inquiries.

So they only do it when there is no one else around, and no one wanting a deck chair!

Karie,

who MUST get to work!

. My thongs (flipflops) were under the chair. It was around 6 PM, so early diners had left and late diners were mostly getting dressed. We were the last ones out there. the deck hands were looking to clean up their stations and put up all of the deck chairs so they could be done with their shifts. When I got out, our chair was gone (stacked!) My stuff was blowing about, and MY SHOES WERE MISSING!! Karie,

who MUST get to work!

Karie,

I really feel for you. Was it a formal night? Were they your formal thongs? What did you do? You really must tell us more. There are those of us here who have very fertile imaginations. :eek:

David

2) Poor Martin. (Penny. I'm not sure, but I think the props are in the stern, not the bow... though those nautical terms do confuse one!) I'm with Annette. You guys are mean!

Thank you Karie...I assumed as much since the ship goes forward and all that. I assumed the wind had been blowing FROM the stern forward, thus the orange fur on the bow!! :rolleyes: Ah well, one can dream....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continues....

Thanks for checking in!

We were looking at the web cam earlier (again!) and I pointed out that the next time the ship returned Southampton it would be to pick us up!

Just Naples and Gibraltar to go I think now... Makes out own cruise seem so much nearer :D

Not such good news for you though I guess. Give Sir Martin my love, won't you? Are there any treats he is running short of that he'd like brought on board?

Hi Mary

Very pleased to hear you are enjoying your cruise on QE2 - I only have another 7 weeks or so until I am back onboard!

Have you seen the authoress Barbara Taylor Bradford or any of her lectures yet?

I gather that she has been on QE2 quite a number of times.Enjoy the rest ofyour cruise.

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Could you all please get back soon, so little time now until ours!

BTW we say staff on the QM2 doing the unattended item removal dance. They would wait a reasonable time, as the owner may be in the hottub,off to grab some snacks from the kings court, etc then they would move their gear.:p

Aristo-cat?

He's not even fit to provide gut for a school violin!

Matthew

Well, he thinks he is, and it's nearly impossible to argue successfully with a cat....too much cat-erwauling and nothing gets settled.

Archived