First time cruising lots of questions

mdnikki

I'm sure I will have a ton as we get closer to booking..but...

We are planning on going on the Freedom of the Seas next summer. I am trying to get some information on the excursions and more specifically the prices of them.

Also what is and isn't included while on board. There seems to be alot of confusion as to whether food and drink (even sodas) are included.

Since we will be traveling with 3 children 11-18 I know they will be on there own quite a bit and want to know if they get hungry can they grab a bite without having to pay for it? Are all the restaurants included.

I had also heard you needed to buy a drink card for sodas.

We are fortunate enough that we a family member is paying for the cruise but I want to budget for the excursions and any extras we may incur.

Can someone give some general idea on the cost of excursions and any extras. And let me know what is and isn't already included in your cruise.

Thanks so much!

Soda. Yes, you pay for soda. Best investment is a soda card which means free refills for the entire cruise (some locales, such as the dining room may not be able to accommodate your request during the meal.

food: Pretty much available 24 hours a day...free! If you choose to dine in one of the specialty restaurants or Johnny Rockets, then a fee applies.

Liquor: Prices vary, but for budgeting figure 5-6 dollars each and you will be more than covered

Tours: go to the RCI web site, sign up, use your booking number, fill out your boarding info to save time at check in and also you can book your tours in advance. Note, booking in advance means paying in advance or you can wait until you are on the ship and your tours will go on your onboard account.

I'm sure I will have a ton as we get closer to booking..but...

We are planning on going on the Freedom of the Seas next summer. I am trying to get some information on the excursions and more specifically the prices of them.

Also what is and isn't included while on board. There seems to be alot of confusion as to whether food and drink (even sodas) are included.

Since we will be traveling with 3 children 11-18 I know they will be on there own quite a bit and want to know if they get hungry can they grab a bite without having to pay for it? Are all the restaurants included.

I had also heard you needed to buy a drink card for sodas.

We are fortunate enough that we a family member is paying for the cruise but I want to budget for the excursions and any extras we may incur.

Can someone give some general idea on the cost of excursions and any extras. And let me know what is and isn't already included in your cruise.

Thanks so much!

Excursions are online or can also be downloaded in a pdf. Enter the rccl.com site and create an account. Once you log in select your reservation number. If the site does not have your reservation number enter the # and your sirname and it will list it under purchases crusies. Select the rev # and then scroll down to find the excurions. You can also just view the excursions under "\Before you board". You can purchase online with Credit Card. It will show up on you payment summary by increasing your total amount and total paid amounts. The tickets will be in your cabin or with your steward. Some tickets do sell out before hand due to access online.

All food is included and is located in the Windjammer (Buffet) Dinning Room, Royal Promanade (Cafe & Pizza). Only Coffee & Tea are free beverage all others beverages (soda etc) are charged to your Sign Sail Pass. You can purchase a soda pass for the kids but only worth it if you plan on drinking two or more sodas a day per person. They put a sticker on the S&S pass. either way they will have to show the pass. If they are in the Adventure club they won't go hungry.

Your will have to pay gratuities at the end of the trip, excrusions can range between $30 - 70 with some higher. The photos and gift shops will cost but you can eat 24/7 for free.

I have not been on Freedom but on our other RC cruises, all meals, snacks and meal drinks like coffee, hot and ice tea, juice, milk etc are included except for bar drinks (alcohol, virgin type mixes, wine, beer, coolers, sodas, bottled water, etc). DW likes to order cranberry juice with supper and we've never been charged for it. There is cover charge for specialty restaurants like Chops, Portofino ($20 gratuity in) and Johnny Rockets which is $4 and charges for milk shakes. You can buy a soda card for adults and kids but it is better to pay $1.75 plus the 15% gratuity for a can unless you drink a lot of soda. I don't know cost of it but other do and you can figure out if it is worthwise to get. You can bring on your own soda and bottled water with no problem and there is a mini frig or cooler in the cabin.

Ben & Jerry ice cream cost but not ice cream in dining room. Also Windjammer (buffet) cafe has free soft serve ice yogurt. At the Royal Promenade cafe you can get snacks and free drinks from early in the AM to late at night.

For excursions and tour prices and availability go to RC web site under Before You Board you will find Land and Shore Excursions information for your cruise.

"Can someone give some general idea on the cost of excursions and any extras. And let me know what is and isn't already included in your cruise."

Soda Card for the children is probably a necessity; apx. $40pp which includes tip. They are given a Coke cold cup, which is refillable at bars out on deck and most bars within the ship and in the dining room. Johnny Rockets soda's and food often has a "fee" $3.95. I know we had a coupon, so don't remember the charges. Buffet food, pizza (even on the promenade), sandwiches and deserts are often free. Ice Cream at Ben & Jerry's is sold for a charge on the sign and sail card.

Big expenses are ship excursions ($50-$100pp) and photo's ($8.95 to $25) and liquor/wine $5 glass to $100's plus 15% gratuity). If you are doing the Western Caribbean, you can do most ports on your own or with private tours much more reasonably than a ships tour. Grand Cayam; take a taxi to Sea Grapes beach or a private tour ($25pp) to swim with the Sting Rays then have them leave you off at the beach and take a taxi back. Jamaica; private tour to climb Dunn's River Falls. Cozumel: take a taxi to Paradise Beach Club where they only charge if you want to use the water toys which the kids probably will enjoy ($10pp or less) plus they like you to buy refreshments - that's all. A taxi is about $15 per taxi or less each way.

The Flowrider, ice skating rink, climbing wall, mini-golf, etc. are all free. The kids will love it!

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

The kids can use their soda cards even when they don't have the refillable cups with them. Any bar will honor the sticker on their Sea Pass card. They can always get soda in the dining room, too. My 13 year old still enjoys ordering Shirley Temples with dinner, they're included. Even at lunch in the buffet restaurant, the waiters will bring them soda if they show their card.

Take advantage of all the photo opportunities. You only have to buy the ones you really want, if any. You'll cherish them more than any other souvenirs from the trip.

Between Windjammer, Cafe Promenade, room service and regular meals, the kids won't go hungry! One of the great perks of cruising, considering how often teens eat!

It can be overwhelming for first-timers, but spend some time on these boards learning about doing excursions on your own. A better deal and often a better experience than ship's excursions.

You're going to have a great time!!

Archived