Things to do in Seward?

Fire and Ice

What is your timing, and when is this "couple hours"??? It's possible changes can still be made?

In a couple hours, probably you could get to Exit Glacier, or the Sealife Center, but again, need to know the timing??

This is a gem of a city, worth spending all the time you can there.

We'll be there in the late afternoon - probably from 2pm - 5pm and our plans can't be changed. I might be able to gain a little bit of time before 2pm but not a lot.

I assume you are not cruising since the ships depart later in the evening (9pm?) and thus would give you more time after 5pm.

In any case, if it were me, I would head to Exit Glacier and spend my time there. You can walk to the glacier and see the small visitor center.

You might be able to visit that and the Sealife Center if you had 4 hours (some have said they have spent 1 hour in the Sealife Center, leaving you a couple of hours at Exit Glacier).

But if the Sealife Center interests you more (alaskasealife.org) then I would go there instead.

Or if riding the dogsled interests you, there is a 90 minute tour (check out ididaride.com)

John

We will be doing a northbound/southbound cruise with the turnaround day being in Seward. Would you suggest renting a car for the day? What do you suggest we do to take full advantage of our day?

I would do a tour of the Kenai Fjords. It's a don't miss. I did the "Captain's Choice" tour with Kenai Fjords Tours. I loved it! (Detailed review in link below.)

I agree - the 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour starts at 11.30am. You could probably even get to the Alaska Sealife Center before then if you want - they open at 8am in the summer. Then have the tour company pick you up at the Sealife Center if they will do that.

Even if you decided to do something else (Exit Glacier for example), no need to rent a car. But I HIGHLY recommend the Kenai Fjords tour. You get to see marine wildlife and get closer to a glacier than you will on your cruise ship.

John

We will be doing a northbound/southbound cruise with the turnaround day being in Seward. Would you suggest renting a car for the day? What do you suggest we do to take full advantage of our day?

I would do the Northwestern Fjord trip. You can easily be off your ship by 8am, even earlier, if you wish, and don't have to be back on until 7pm or later.

Fill your day with all you can, Seward is a gem. :)

We'll be there in the late afternoon - probably from 2pm - 5pm and our plans can't be changed. I might be able to gain a little bit of time before 2pm but not a lot.

You are arriving Anchorage that morning??? Are you sailing out of Seward?? You can have more time than you are noting probably???

Archived