Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

Has anyone seen any pics of the port in CM? I havent seen anything on the news here about CM itself or any pics, the only pics I have been able to see is here on this site. If it was a direct hit on CM why arent they showing much about it? Maybe b/c it is such a small place and they are showing the areas around it instead?? I have seen other areas but no mention of CM at all. Isnt that odd?

Danielle

Still trying to figure out if anything is left in Costa Maya and Majahaul. My husband and I had so much fun there just a few weeks ago. We feel lucky that we got to experience the neat town of Majahaul and meet Charlie Brown! It was definitely a day in paradise and a place up there on the list of places we want to go back to someday. Thought it might feel better to see everyones pics from this area and remember the great people and beautiful places.

majahaul.jpg.03ee09ce41893f7fb5f36cbe45eef9b9.jpg

majahaul2.jpg.4da4f0bac299d750f309b95a701cfc07.jpg

majahaul3.jpg.cf6210c2daee3737964851f24bdce322.jpg

majahaul4.jpg.045eeb19557c83cb3a335e3a89272626.jpg

majahaul5.jpg.da7479f4fe926e7a42b52dfcfff07254.jpg

Danielle, I hear ya. It has been a very frustrating day for lovers of the Costa Maya. No offense, but I'm tired of hearing about Cancun and Campeche. I wanna know how my Majahual fared!!! :( I wanna see pics, I want reports. I want to to be be able to pick out landmarks and say "Oh, they made it." I'm hoping as time goes on, we'll start seeing pics and getting real information!

I haven't been to the boards since just after our Dec. 2006 Miracle cruise that stopped in Costa Maya. It was my absolute favorite day, spending most of it at Pez Quadro along with many of the cruise staff. It seemed Majahual was a favorite among everyone. The staff at Pez Quadro were some of the nicest people I have ever met!

Our thoughts and prayers are with every one of them. I also have our Costa Maya/Majahual pics online at: http://travel.webshots.com/album/556394460OmNDBm?vhost=travel

I think the reason we haven't seen more after photos and have little information is that it is a long, remote drive to get to Costa Maya (by land) for the media.

Well hopefully soon we will see more about this place, I mean really if it was a direct hit you would think they would be reporting more about it, and would be there by now right away. It hit this morning so they have time to get there by now, maybe we will hear or see more tomorrow on CM. I hope so. When Katrina hit here, you couldnt get away from the news ect.... even if you tried, it was everywhere, TV, radio everywhere. It is just weird that we hear nothing about these people in CM or there little town.

Danielle

ncboys oh my gosh! At first I thought these photos couldn't be right but after looking at them and matching up the concrete piller thing your right on. I'm not only sad but I'm sick to look at these. We were there on July 31, enjoying everything about this area. Heaven help this area and all the past ccer's. Karon

My husband and I visted Costa Maya on our honeymoon this past December. Even though we didn't have the best weather, we had a great day swinging in the hammocks along the beach. Our thoughts are with the residents.

I am not sure if it is the same lighthouse, but it caught my eye.

lighthouse.jpg.a8baf8b49805abc32bcc703b72a1fe90.jpg

lighthouseDec2006.jpg.c0df955b7ab20b12fc577d0a348de608.jpg

The nearest place to fly in is 2 1/2 hour away for comercial jets. The media doesnt care about Majahual like we do. They were saying Dean was just passing south of Cancun. The media is all about shock not truth. We were in hurricane rita but all we hear is New Orleans and Katrina. Our little town of Vinton Louisiana with its 2 red lights is not really what the media wants to focus on. Same with Majahual... I emailed and called Fox, TWC, NBC, and CNN about wear it was heading. No one cared and no positive response. Cancun barely recieved tropical storm wind. The most that part of the coast had was higher surf and maybe a little surge. On a better note I hope to visit Majahaul soon even if I have to drive from the capitol of Chetumal.

You have a good eye, that looks like the same one to me.

My husband and I visted Costa Maya on our honeymoon this past December. Even though we didn't have the best weather, we had a great day swinging in the hammocks along the beach. Our thoughts are with the residents.

I am not sure if it is the same lighthouse, but it caught my eye.

Ya know maybe that is true, they say where everyone knows. Like when Katrina hit it was all about New Orleans (not the little areas around it) b/c everyone knows New Orleans so they talk about it. I guess it is the same over there, everyone knows Cancun (not the little area known as CM) so they talk about Cancun. Good point. :rolleyes:

Danielle

I wouldn't worry about the cruise ships returning to Costa Maya, they will. They have an investment there and insurance too. The only thing that will slow them down is permits and possibly some grease for the local... I doubt they thought when they started Costa Maya they would never be hit by a hurricane. It's part of doing business in the Carib and I can't see them walking away from such a nice port where they have so much invested in already.

Ok, I finally got a reply from a friend that lives/has a business in Costa Maya/Mahahual. I'm posting the generic part of my email with her as I know everyone is wondering how they all fared. I would say, NOT GOOD. Many of the businesses are gone... Let's keep them in our prayers as I know we all are. I wish I could do more to help.......

Hello to all of our Friends and Neighbors and Family of diving friends, all of our associates and family in Mahahual.

As you all know, hurricane Dean came in with a vengeance and it went right smack in the middle of Mahahual. I received news from a Triple of the following.

From the new light house all down the town of Mahahual, it is no longer Mahahual, everything is gone! Our friends and family in Mahahual, Luna De Plata, Cueva Del Lobo, Blue Iguana, Blue Ocean Safari, Dreamtime to name a few, are gone. the port is under water, and it will be a 2 to 3 weeks before it goes down, Tequila is gone too, Km 10 was spare but everything else, don't know what the damage is. Our prayers are with all of our friends who owned business and homes, the Casitas were hit as well, busted glass, water and wind damage is seen all over, per the owners of Luna De Plata who were there today to assess the damage, only the new rooms in the back were spared, houses are left in pretty bad shape. I t is a shame that not everyone knew or got to visit this beautiful well kept secret that we knew as "our private paradise" our little island.

Yes, I too am sick about Costa Maya/Majahual. I see here I'm not alone. Also wishing someone somewhere would post a photo of that half-destroyed pier.

My memories of Majahual are the creme of cruising (RCI Splendour, 2/26/07). The gorgeous but unassuming little beach where our group of 29 was served cerviche and cold beers and the most delicious guacomole with chips all day long by Alfred out of his little palapa! (And after four hours of constant consumption and imbibing, the tab barely cleared $80.) The bluest, calmest waters and white white sand! It was the opposite of most every port experience I'd had before while cruising - just a beautiful place to be in good company with good eats. Not overpriced and not overcrowded. Not charged to sit in a chair or enjoy someone's borrowed shade trees. I loved the primitiveness of the street, the 'strip,' the nonsanctioned vendors, the fact that everything all along the way seemed to be under construction or half-constructed or half-baked or half-jungle. We've been wanting to go back ever since. Hell, we've been wishing we could buy property there.

How long does it take to rebuild a pier?

This is just terrible. The pictures coming out of Costa Maya show nothing less than complete destruction. All I can think about is how beautiful the place was. This was our favorite port on our Honeymoon Cruise (our first cruise). Sitting on a chair on the beach in Majahaul I remember thinking that I had found "Paradise". It was a living, breathing "Corona" ad and I was in the middle of it. It was so rustic and that was the beauty of it. Now all I can think of is all of the poor hard working people that now have their lives destroyed and (with the pier gone) no income. Hopefully they all found shelter and that the silver lining (hopefully) can be that no one lost their life. Less fortunate however, I am sure, were the poor stray dogs that roam the streets of Majahual. I remember them being so friendly and polite. Now I am haunted by thinking about what terrible fate that they met. There was no shelter for them.:( :( :(

Tender...? I dont really like to Tender but I would love to Tender in Costa Maya... Maybe this is a short term solution that will help small Majahual venders build back to pre Dean? I really have to say that I dont think concrete port area with the swim up bar has too much Damage. And the Pier itself I bet can hold at least on ship. I have been digging on the net and found that the Yellow Majahual Hotel looks to be in pretty good condition considering. Maybe the Port area is too. Maybe.... I hope...

Archived