Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

I am a little confused by all the info I have read in regards to when the ships will be able to go back to Costa Maya. We missed this port last cruise due to high winds and was so looking forward to going in March. ANy chance things will be up and running by March 08?

i have read 6 months and I have read over a year.....do we know which is more accurate???

I feel horrible for the people who owned small businesses in the area, I hope they are allowed to continue to work the area

Kim

Hi CruiseCat! I am happy you made it home OK and completely understand how what you saw there could be a life changing experience. It doesn't get any worse than that. I'll be back there tomorrow. I'd best not say more so maybe this post will stay here so you can see it. I am preparing a small movie that can be viewed online that will tell the story of what Dean has done. If you find it and watch it, it will break your heart. Maybe, in its end you will understand me better.

In frank answer to your questions about when a Cruise Ship could possibly be in Majahual; folks dreaming of any less than a year are just dreaming according to my personal friend of five years, Jorge, the Port Captain of Majahual. My assessment as a certified disaster assessor for the American Red Cross is it could be up to two years at minimum. Not only does a new pier have to be built, but the old one has to be cleared from the sea's bottom for any possible docking at a new pier. This will be a huge undertaking of monumental proportons. How long did it take to pick up the remains of the World Trade Center on land with the United States' resources at their disposal? I thought that would be a fitting question for this date.

Take care,

Cliff

I received an email from Otto of Tequila Beach Club. I'm not sure if anyone has posted this...

Thank you so much for your concern. This one has been tough, and I am just still getting caught up on emails. We took the brunt of a major hurricane, and have been very busy with relief efforts, getting food, water and building materials to the entire area. These relief efforts are and will continue to be ongoing, and Costa Maya Tours is still here helping to support and rebuild. There are a few private relief efforts accepting donations, and I can assure you the private effort has been managed very ethically. If you would like more info on that, please let me know.

Tequila Beach club was damaged, but fared better than many others throughout Costa Maya. Fortunately, there was no loss of life and no serious injuries.

We fully expect Costa Maya to rebuild and come back even better, and look forward to receiving cruise ships again as soon as possible. Until then, passengers on ships diverted from here to Cozumel can get the same great service through our new Cozumel service (edited to adhere to cruisecritic rules). The site does not yet reflect all of our tours, however this service has been in the making for nearly a year now. We invite all to visit us there.

I'm glad that they are safe but feel so badly, my heart goes out to all of them.

Thanks for the pictures. I thought it was mainly the "straw-stick"houses that collapsed. Not those cement ones. We were there the end of May and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, we only got to go to the Mayan Ruins with Dave. He told us a lot about the area. I wish we would have had time to go downtown.

I think the sign says it all:

"we have not received aid...we are forgotten"

While big business gets a new cruise ship pier and a few fancy all inclusive resorts, I doubt the people or the landscape will recover any time soon.

I'm glad we got to see it last november, I'm sure it will be hardly recognizable when we return. I guess in the end turning it into another Playa Del Carmen is better than abandoning it, it's just a damn shame all the way around.

I just hope all those "sanctioned" donations actually make it to the people, and don't end up in the wind like in NOLA.

Hey Cliff! I'm glad to see you on this board. I don't come here often but I thought I would check out what the cruise lines were doing to help with the rebuilding of Mahaual. I hope you are getting good response from this board.

Hey guys, Cliff is a great guy who truly loves the Yucatan and the Mayan people.

Talk to you soon Cliff,

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

We don't take a lot of pictures, so we did not use up the rest of our roll until our Canada cruise Sept 29th. When we got home and got them developed...they had the pictures from our visit to Chac Chi the week before Dean hit.

It was so sad to see how much fun we had experienced and to now know it was so damaged.

Hope they are up and running again soon!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the link. Good to know that the government is moving forward. Unfortunately, the Majahual we knew and loved will not return. The malecon looks as if it will be attractive, and I know it will help return business to the folks who live there and depend on tourist $$. So glad I got to visit it before it was destroyed by Dean.

Thanks for the link. Good to know that the government is moving forward. Unfortunately, the Majahual we knew and loved will not return. The malecon looks as if it will be attractive, and I know it will help return business to the folks who live there and depend on tourist $$. So glad I got to visit it before it was destroyed by Dean.

Looks like (when we are discussing trips to Costa Maya years from now in the future) we may be discussing it as BD and AD (Before Dean and After Dean).

Archived