Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

... Has anyone heard from David or Ivan? How did they and their families fare?

I was wondering this as well. We just went to Costa Maya with Carnival for our first wedding anniversary, in early July. We toured with David.

I will also watch this thread for information about targeted relief efforts. PLEASE anyone with a solid lead, share it! It's like I told a friend recently... This isn't like Cozumel and other places, where perhaps Hard Rock Cafe would just sweep in and rebuild itself... These smaller businesses will have a much harder time! But what we LOVED about Costa Maya was that there was no Hard Rock Cafe, or anything of the sort! I'd like to help them get rebuilt, and keep it that way!!

Here's my hubby sitting at El Faro, on the beach, eating yummy chips and salsa and drinking a Sol, just a month and a half ago...

BeachsideBar.jpg

Jetskier,

Everyone is posting links without problems, can you post the entire link for that pic of the port? I tried to right click on it like you said but still cant get it :rolleyes: If you still cant post it can you please email me the link?

DBX74@aol.com

Thanks so much,

Danielle

Hmmmmmmmm....I had no problem with the link...just double-clicked on it and voila! It opened! That is, if you are talking about the link to the hurricane relief effort.....

Pretty sure car ferry comes way b4 Int'l, but it's been at least 20 years since I've been on it.

Lets try this--

The ferry pier is in the downtown area.

The Punta Langosta pier is the next pier south.

The car ferry pier is the next one.

The International pier is the next pier south.

The Puerta Maya pier (Carnivals) is the pier furthest south. It is still under construction.

thanks for researching those early photos, Dave.

The car ferry pier is to the south of the International pier. You enter the ferry pier at the red light by the gas station. The International pier is to the north of the redlight.

Dave

Posted on: 12:29 am, todaysaveIconLeft.gif Save

We just got back from Mahahual. For those that don't know, Mahuahal is about 175 miles south of Playa del Carmen. It is a beautiful section of the Caribbean Coast called the Costa Maya, and it is unfortunately where Hurricane Dean made landfall a few days ago.

This morning, a varied group of Playa del Carmen locals (Mexican, American, Israeli, Dutch and English) headed down the coast in a convoy with five truckloads of relief supplies for Mahahual. We weren't sure what to expect, so we loaded our best guesses: water, rice, toilet paper, sanitary napkins, diapers, milk, clothing, etc. The entire thing was organized by the incredible Claudia, an EMT for Cruz Roja and long-time Playa resident.

When we got to Mahahual, we were stunned. Most of the buildings in this small village had been destroyed. Those that are still standing are incredibly damaged. This was, after, the third strongest hurricane in history, and the little pueblo of Mahahual was right on the beach. We were incredibly surprised that no relief effort had yet reached them. We were the first. The Mexican Army was there and had set up a great soup kitchen, but their primary task was to open the roads and clear debris from public areas. The Army was itself isolated, and we ended up offering food and water to them, which they graciously accepted.

The people of Mahahual are an incredible inspiration. They thanked us profusely for the assistance we brought. They calmly lined up to accept our donations. No one tried to take more than they needed; no one tried to hoard materials. When people had received food, water and clothing sufficient for their needs, they always stepped aside for the next person.

We are talking about families, children, even babies living in shattered homes which no longer provide shelter, with no power, fresh water, plumbing, food or access to the outside world.

The Army unfortunately is being pulled out on Saturday to go to other areas hit hard by Hurricane Dean. Mahahual will be left to its own devices and to the generosity of other people. The incredible Claudia is doing her best to get Red Cross to come into the area as quickly as possible, but resources are strained.

Playa del Carmen locals, visitors and hotels are donating as much as they can. On the paypal account we've set up for Mahahual relief, we've currently received $2324 US.. Tomorrow 100% of that money will be spent purchasing more supplies in Playa del Carmen to take down to Mahahual. In addition, our friends at the Hotel La Tortuga in Playa del Carmen have amassed an incredible amount of goods and will be convoying them down by truck on Saturday. We will be joining that convoy with many others, trying to get supplies as quickly as possible to the needy. Any contribution that any of you can make to paypal will go directly to purchasing supplies that will go directly into the hands of displaced families within the next few days.

How badly are things needed? One man asked if we had a shirt, since he had only one shirt left after the hurricane, and he had already worn it nonstop for four days. We stopped people from filling water bottles with rancid swamp water and offered them fresh water in bottles. Francisco, the chef at the soup kitchen, thanked us profusely when we gave him what we had and said they could really use some eggs, rice, beans, cooking oil, and large pots and spoons, as he was trying to feed 200 people at every meal with little or no supplies. Mens with hands bleeding from hauling debris thankfully accepted the gloves that we brought. Mothers asked for milk and diapers, and we gave what we could until we ran out. The doctor who came down to work for free with no help and no end in sight simply asked if we had something to sleep on besides the floor. We found a sleeping bag. When we go back on Saturday, we'll bring him a cot. And it was impossible to miss the babies and children playing in the rubble.

Yes, we know this post is going on too long, but it was an unbelievable day. And we know this is a vacation thread, but the people of this beautiful country need some help right now. Anything you can offer: $5, $10...whatever...will put food and supplies directly in thd hands of someone who needs it.

And it is not just Mahahual. The nearby town of Limones and the surrounding area have many people who need food, water and shelter supplies as soon as possible. As we take our next convoy down on Saturday, we will be stopping in as many places and as many homes as we can.

We took a lot of pictures today, and you can take a look at some of them at http://www.lunabluehotel.com

Thanks to all of you who have helped and will help in this time of need. Muchas gracias a todo. When you get to Playa del Carmen, the Luna Blue owes you many thanks...and a margarita.

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

If nothing else, the number of visitors that go there each month should mean something. We are not talking about just a "scarcely populated" area, we are talking about one of the fastest growing cruise ship destinations... that should mean something. Lesser tragedies at least get some coverage. My point is, because there is no coverage, there will be very little assistance... I mean FTLOG the Intl Red Cross has NOTHING on their site about this... not to mention the number one source (and only source basically) of income has been wiped out for at least 6 months. Other resort areas that are hit generally have other income sources to keep them going... I'm not saying that people only care about themselves, it is true that it is a little known area... but that shouldn't mean they get no media coverage.

Amen Sister........ To alot of the media, it's some small, mexican town with no real purpose... I mean truly, unless we cruised and went there on a cruise, I'm sure not many of us would have heard of Costa Maya..... But it's a growing port. With alot to offer of a great beach, great diving and people that warm your heart. I went there and fell in love with it..... They so need our help. Let's hope the media steps up to the plate.

Hmmmmmmmm....I had no problem with the link...just double-clicked on it and voila! It opened! That is, if you are talking about the link to the hurricane relief effort.....

Ok, which link is the Hurricane relief link? I can't seem to find it....

When we took a Tulum ruins tour back in Jan., our tour guide gave us a lot of history of the Yucatan/Quintana Roo. Costa Maya was the next development over the next many years. He said Playa del Carmen was once a "sleepy fishing village too" and that (as others have posted here) that Cancun was "not here 35 years ago" (can't remember the exact years).

Paraphrasing what he told us, Quintana Roo was going to be a large connecting vacation development from Cancun to Costa Maya.

From what our guide told us, Costa Maya was to have hotel resorts....which I guess is why Costa Maya was always advertising in Caribbean Travel Magazine.

Costa Maya will be back and so will the town of Majahaul

We have our fond memories of Majahaul too

They have set up a relief fund for Costa Maya.

We were supposed to be in Costa Maya on Thursday the 30th on the Rhapsody of the Seas but will go to Playa Del Carmen instead.

I am tempted to send them $20, but how do we know it will get to the actual people that need it...If anyone has more information please let me know.

Yes, I too am sick about Costa Maya/Majahual. I see here I'm not alone. Also wishing someone somewhere would post a photo of that half-destroyed pier.

My memories of Majahual are the creme of cruising (RCI Splendour, 2/26/07). The gorgeous but unassuming little beach where our group of 29 was served cerviche and cold beers and the most delicious guacomole with chips all day long by Alfred out of his little palapa! (And after four hours of constant consumption and imbibing, the tab barely cleared $80.) The bluest, calmest waters and white white sand! It was the opposite of most every port experience I'd had before while cruising - just a beautiful place to be in good company with good eats. Not overpriced and not overcrowded. Not charged to sit in a chair or enjoy someone's borrowed shade trees. I loved the primitiveness of the street, the 'strip,' the nonsanctioned vendors, the fact that everything all along the way seemed to be under construction or half-constructed or half-baked or half-jungle. We've been wanting to go back ever since. Hell, we've been wishing we could buy property there.

How long does it take to rebuild a pier?

The pier is not half destroyed but fully destroyed, and unless they do some serious work on the beaches and village it will not be ready for the fall/winter cruise season

costamayapier.jpg

This is before...

QuintanaRooMajahualAP.jpg

This was, after, the third strongest hurricane in history...

Not exactly correct. It was the third strongest (in terms of barometric pressure) hurricane in the Atlantic basin to make landfall since record keeping began.

It doesn't really change the point you were making though.

Amen Sister........ To alot of the media, it's some small, mexican town with no real purpose... I mean truly, unless we cruised and went there on a cruise, I'm sure not many of us would have heard of Costa Maya..... But it's a growing port. With alot to offer of a great beach, great diving and people that warm your heart. I went there and fell in love with it..... They so need our help. Let's hope the media steps up to the plate.

As another data point, I also had a nearly-full-page article in my local paper Friday (from the AP syndicate) about Majahual, Costa Maya and the local people around there, the effect on the agricultural crops, etc.

Not exactly correct. It was the third strongest (in terms of barometric pressure) hurricane in the Atlantic basin to make landfall since record keeping began.

It doesn't really change the point you were making though.

Thanks, but it wasn't made by me but by the author of the post on the other board who is a long time resident and hotel owner. I was just sharing the article since it gave lots of info on the situation in Mahahual and gave a source for making donations to those so badly affected by Dean.

sounds like a good way to help now .....

these people go a long way to help and do need any penny ..

one less beer on the ship = one day of food for a family down there...

easy choice for me ....

crossing my fingers for them and will be back as soon as they are open again for business !!!

Stephan

Posted on: 12:29 am, todaysaveIconLeft.gif Save

We just got back from Mahahual. For those that don't know, Mahuahal is about 175 miles south of Playa del Carmen. It is a beautiful section of the Caribbean Coast called the Costa Maya, and it is unfortunately where Hurricane Dean made landfall a few days ago.

This morning, a varied group of Playa del Carmen locals (Mexican, American, Israeli, Dutch and English) headed down the coast in a convoy with five truckloads of relief supplies for Mahahual. We weren't sure what to expect, so we loaded our best guesses: water, rice, toilet paper, sanitary napkins, diapers, milk, clothing, etc. The entire thing was organized by the incredible Claudia, an EMT for Cruz Roja and long-time Playa resident.

When we got to Mahahual, we were stunned. Most of the buildings in this small village had been destroyed. Those that are still standing are incredibly damaged. This was, after, the third strongest hurricane in history, and the little pueblo of Mahahual was right on the beach. We were incredibly surprised that no relief effort had yet reached them. We were the first. The Mexican Army was there and had set up a great soup kitchen, but their primary task was to open the roads and clear debris from public areas. The Army was itself isolated, and we ended up offering food and water to them, which they graciously accepted.

The people of Mahahual are an incredible inspiration. They thanked us profusely for the assistance we brought. They calmly lined up to accept our donations. No one tried to take more than they needed; no one tried to hoard materials. When people had received food, water and clothing sufficient for their needs, they always stepped aside for the next person.

We are talking about families, children, even babies living in shattered homes which no longer provide shelter, with no power, fresh water, plumbing, food or access to the outside world.

The Army unfortunately is being pulled out on Saturday to go to other areas hit hard by Hurricane Dean. Mahahual will be left to its own devices and to the generosity of other people. The incredible Claudia is doing her best to get Red Cross to come into the area as quickly as possible, but resources are strained.

Playa del Carmen locals, visitors and hotels are donating as much as they can. On the paypal account we've set up for Mahahual relief, we've currently received $2324 US.. Tomorrow 100% of that money will be spent purchasing more supplies in Playa del Carmen to take down to Mahahual. In addition, our friends at the Hotel La Tortuga in Playa del Carmen have amassed an incredible amount of goods and will be convoying them down by truck on Saturday. We will be joining that convoy with many others, trying to get supplies as quickly as possible to the needy. Any contribution that any of you can make to paypal will go directly to purchasing supplies that will go directly into the hands of displaced families within the next few days.

How badly are things needed? One man asked if we had a shirt, since he had only one shirt left after the hurricane, and he had already worn it nonstop for four days. We stopped people from filling water bottles with rancid swamp water and offered them fresh water in bottles. Francisco, the chef at the soup kitchen, thanked us profusely when we gave him what we had and said they could really use some eggs, rice, beans, cooking oil, and large pots and spoons, as he was trying to feed 200 people at every meal with little or no supplies. Mens with hands bleeding from hauling debris thankfully accepted the gloves that we brought. Mothers asked for milk and diapers, and we gave what we could until we ran out. The doctor who came down to work for free with no help and no end in sight simply asked if we had something to sleep on besides the floor. We found a sleeping bag. When we go back on Saturday, we'll bring him a cot. And it was impossible to miss the babies and children playing in the rubble.

Yes, we know this post is going on too long, but it was an unbelievable day. And we know this is a vacation thread, but the people of this beautiful country need some help right now. Anything you can offer: $5, $10...whatever...will put food and supplies directly in thd hands of someone who needs it.

And it is not just Mahahual. The nearby town of Limones and the surrounding area have many people who need food, water and shelter supplies as soon as possible. As we take our next convoy down on Saturday, we will be stopping in as many places and as many homes as we can.

We took a lot of pictures today, and you can take a look at some of them at http://www.lunabluehotel.com

Thanks to all of you who have helped and will help in this time of need. Muchas gracias a todo. When you get to Playa del Carmen, the Luna Blue owes you many thanks...and a margarita.

Tony & Cheri

Luna Blue Hotel & Garden

Thanks for the information. We are sending money by paypal. We will never forget our visit to Mahahual and the wonderful villagers.

Thanks for all you are doing to help.

Hey CM lovers!!! I just want to point out that when I sent info over on a "relief fund" to Cruise Critic, it was denied so it couldn't be posted here... so just want to make sure everyone gets approval as noted a few days ago so this thread doesn't get pulled :( But, I think anyone can do a search these days and find one of the relief funds... several of the sites that stories have been posted from and pictures hve been posted from, have relief funds that are not the Red Cross, that are going to go to the victims 100%, so just do a search... so many of the relief sites are acknowledging that they are getting a really good response! There is even a site that will send you a free tote when you donate. So do a search and make a donation, every little bit helps!!!!!

Just don't want to see this thread get pulled since there is so much really great info in here!!!!

Archived