Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

I have a hard time trusting anyone when it comes to a relief effort. I can't tell you how many horrible stories I have from Jeane, Frances and Wilma in the past three years. Stories that would make you sick, that is why I wanted CC to put together a relief effort or drive. They have close to 300k members and then they have many TA's that advertise on CC that should be willing to help put together the relief effort. I know it would hard to organize such an effort but if CC doesn't try to do something I will be extremely disappointed in this website and the people that are associated with it.

I have a hard time trusting anyone when it comes to a relief effort. I can't tell you how many horrible stories I have from Jeane, Frances and Wilma in the past three years. Stories that would make you sick, that is why I wanted CC to put together a relief effort or drive. They have close to 300k members and then they have many TA's that advertise on CC that should be willing to help put together the relief effort. I know it would hard to organize such an effort but if CC doesn't try to do something I will be extremely disappointed in this website and the people that are associated with it.

It would be nice to see them do something like that in conjunction with their connections to the cruiselines and others in the travel industry.

Dave

attachment.php?attachmentid=706&stc=1&d=1187901281

This photo makes me sick. So sad. We have been there 3 times and will be a while before we get to go back. I had heard when Wilma hit Cozumel & Cancun that some ships made a stop at Cozumel to unload/donate relief supplies. Wonder if they can do this for Costa Maya. Or maybe it would be flown in and delivered somehow. I know when we were on our holiday cruise in 04-05, we had the chance to donate $$ because of the Tsunami in Indonesia and then HAL matched it and sent it to the American Red Cross and then on to Indonesia. We were on the Rotterdam for a 14 day Holiday cruise and between all the passengers & crew we raised over $16,000. And that was just one HAL ship. None of the Indonesian crew we had that time had any family that was affected by that event.

50 cruises on HAL at the age of 42

535 days at sea on 12 different DAM SHIPS

500 day Gold Medallion holder

Sept. 04 Rotterdam Trans Atlantic Hurricane Karl Survivor

10/07 Canada/New England & Atlantic Coast - Veendam

12/07 Holiday Cruise - Zuiderdam

If Holland America doesn't go there, WE DON'T GO!!!!

My husband and I had the pleasure of spending a day with Ivan last year touring the ruins. We also spent some time in Majahual at the Cat's Meow. We count ourselves lucky to have seen it. It was one of the best excursions we've ever been on.

God bless the people of Majahual.

We would be happy to contribute but want to be sure donations go to those in need. Does CC have any advice or verify a source of donation. This is obviously serious if the Mexican military is pulling out. Advice from the hosts other than the normal caution?

Goin Cruisin, Leadft, myself and others have been seriously trying to find/work on some relief efforts these last few days. And trying to find something that is official that C.C. can endorse or at least allow us to post. It's a work in progress and not sure if we'll get done what we want. But I also think there is alot of love/support here for this port/village/town that they will get help. I have someone there that I know so it's touched me greatly....

But there is one hang up and be careful about donating "goods".... And it's Customs..... You can only donate so much before it's taken, gone through and decided if you have brought too much or not, into the country. I have numerous people willing to donate, an airline willing to transport it but it's Customs being the hang up.... Anyone got any ideas on getting around Customs? It's quite frustrating. This will be a slow process.......

Goin Cruisin, Leadft, myself and others have been seriously trying to find/work on some relief efforts these last few days. And trying to find something that is official that C.C. can endorse or at least allow us to post. It's a work in progress and not sure if we'll get done what we want. But I also think there is alot of love/support here for this port/village/town that they will get help. I have someone there that I know so it's touched me greatly....

But there is one hang up and be careful about donating "goods".... And it's Customs..... You can only donate so much before it's taken, gone through and decided if you have brought too much or not, into the country. I have numerous people willing to donate, an airline willing to transport it but it's Customs being the hang up.... Anyone got any ideas on getting around Customs? It's quite frustrating. This will be a slow process.......

The best way around customs is to donate cash so the items necessary can be bought and convoyed in to the village. This way the money is spent in Mexico also. I know CC is not allowing anyone to post links but if you do a search you will find where to donate. I am confident the money will be used for goods needed in the village. My sister "CruiseCAT" flew down Wednesday night (Thursday arrival) and is in Mahahual for the next two weeks.

• Administrators

Hi Folks:

We feel the need to clarify our stand regarding some comments made above regarding "denial" the posting of relief efforts. We do recognize that our members want to reach out to the community of Majahaul, the residents of which have provided much enjoyment to the cruise community.

In the past we have urged our members to support the Red Cross's disaster relief efforts for Hurrican Dean. We did this after Katrina, Wilma and of course, the horrific aftermath of 9/11. Upon checking their website, we see that they are including the Majahaul area for disaster relief.

Our policy has always been to allow verifiable disaster relief links on the forums.

While we have always appreciated the generosity of our members, we simply are not set up to verify various non-profit organizations. Additionally, we've always disallowed individual members to "collect" goods or money, or to spearhead the collection of goods or money. We have no choice but to continue this practice during this time.

We've been around a long time, 13 years) and believe me we've seen and heard it all. There have been many incidents of dishonesty that have been brought to our attention. In keeping with our "haven" focus, our policy will remain in effect during this trying time for the residents of Majahaul.

We will share that we have been in contact with some of the cruise lines who visit Costa Maya. We have not yet heard back from them regarding any relief efforts.

What we do know at this time is that goods/supplies are very difficult to get into that area, that no one really has control of those supplies once they hit Mexican soil, and we can only look to those organizations that have had success in doing so over the years. Please look to the Red Cross for your donations.

Laura

Between the posters on this board, we have quite a few great pictures, and plenty of treasured memories of our days at Costa Maya and Majahual. I don't know HOW we could do this, but maybe with some brainstorming we could come up with a way to put our pictures together into an album and make them accessible to the residents still there. For those that lost everything in the hurricane, it may help in the healing. Thoughts?
I think this is a wonderful idea! I know from friends that lost everything in Andrew and others in a fire, how very important help like this is. My family and I were in Mahahual on July 13th and we had the most wonderful day. We want very much to go back to Mahahual someday and pray that they are able to rebuild their homes. businesses, and lives. We have some great pictures of Mahaual, even some of some of the children that live there. I would certainly like to make these available for all of them to see and once they are able they could someday print them out to keep. Maybe if we all find a way to get this going by the time we have a really good collection of pictures of Mahahual they will find a way to get electricity, and phone service, etc. to Mahahual agin and then they will be able to see the pictures. I think we should make a photo album for the wonderful people of Mahahual.

Pam

PJnVA, are your pictures of people you know of that are in Majahaul?

Or are you there? Looks like several gringos are there.

Thanks for posting!

Julie in TN

Julie, I am not in Mahahual, my sister (CruiseCAT) is. These were taken from people that are there in Mahahual from another board. My sister hooked up with these people online before she flew to Cancun on Wednesday/Thursday. She met one of the other volunteers at the airport and drove down to Mahahual with him. Unfortunately none of the pictures have her in them.:( I have not talked to her since she left and do not expect to hear from her personally untill she returns to the US on Sept 8th. Her hubby did call me yesterday and said he did hear from her briefly. She is well and safe and very tired but GLAD she made this trip. I can not wait to see her video diary!

I heard from David Villagomez (of David & Ivan) on Saturday. He says that Chacchoben village suffered serious destruction along with Mahahual and 140 other villages. Their greatest need, right now, is for chainsaws (gas powered). I'll post more as I hear it.

Paul

I heard from David Villagomez (of David & Ivan) on Saturday. He says that Chacchoben village suffered serious destruction along with Mahahual and 140 other villages. Their greatest need, right now, is for chainsaws (gas powered). I'll post more as I hear it.

Paul

Oh, I'm so glad to hear they are okay, though. Thanks for letting us know.

I'd be careful of donations to the Red Cross. I hate to say that but I am a Hurricane Katrina survivor and they were not the best choice for us. I think an individual that is willing to try to work with one of the local churches or local relief groups could find the best way to assist. After Kat it was the churches that took on the bulk of the assistance.

Also - just as an aside - it is funny to me that people are surprised by the damage. I'm surprised by how there is anything left standing. I'm not sure people still realize that Katrina actually hit the MS Gulf Coast (not N.O.) and took out everything for 35 miles - churches, homes, Walmarts, you name it....completely gone. The fact that there are any buildings left standing and apparently very few fatalities (that have been reported) is a blessing. I am sure that the government will get the pier up and running as soon as possible. They did an amazing job with Cancun two years ago. I think Cozumel focused on the local tourist business figuring that they have pier options and ships can tender.

The Mexican government has certainly been more responsive than the U.S. government in hurricanes so far! Let's hope that trend continues.

Hi Folks:

We feel the need to clarify our stand regarding some comments made above regarding "denial" the posting of relief efforts. We do recognize that our members want to reach out to the community of Majahaul, the residents of which have provided much enjoyment to the cruise community.

In the past we have urged our members to support the Red Cross's disaster relief efforts for Hurrican Dean. We did this after Katrina, Wilma and of course, the horrific aftermath of 9/11. Upon checking their website, we see that they are including the Majahaul area for disaster relief.

Our policy has always been to allow verifiable disaster relief links on the forums.

While we have always appreciated the generosity of our members, we simply are not set up to verify various non-profit organizations. Additionally, we've always disallowed individual members to "collect" goods or money, or to spearhead the collection of goods or money. We have no choice but to continue this practice during this time.

We've been around a long time, 13 years) and believe me we've seen and heard it all. There have been many incidents of dishonesty that have been brought to our attention. In keeping with our "haven" focus, our policy will remain in effect during this trying time for the residents of Majahaul.

We will share that we have been in contact with some of the cruise lines who visit Costa Maya. We have not yet heard back from them regarding any relief efforts.

What we do know at this time is that goods/supplies are very difficult to get into that area, that no one really has control of those supplies once they hit Mexican soil, and we can only look to those organizations that have had success in doing so over the years. Please look to the Red Cross for your donations.

Laura

Is there perhaps another organization that CruiseCritic could endorse as an additional or alternative relief fund? I have no difficulities with the Red Cross, but have heard of many people who do. Probably not for this disaster as it is in Mexico, but for the future, maybe a national food bank or Habitat for Humanity? Just a thought.

Julie, I am not in Mahahual, my sister (CruiseCAT) is. These were taken from people that are there in Mahahual from another board. My sister hooked up with these people online before she flew to Cancun on Wednesday/Thursday. She met one of the other volunteers at the airport and drove down to Mahahual with him. Unfortunately none of the pictures have her in them.:( I have not talked to her since she left and do not expect to hear from her personally untill she returns to the US on Sept 8th. Her hubby did call me yesterday and said he did hear from her briefly. She is well and safe and very tired but GLAD she made this trip. I can not wait to see her video diary!

Thanks PJ! Your sister is very fortunate to be able to go there and help!

She's doing what many of us would love to be doing but don't have the circumstances. Please, if you can, keep us updated on your sister. I search everyday of news coming from that area. Thanks again and please let your sister know how thankful we are of her!

Julie in TN

For anyone who is familiar with the Maya Palms resort near Costa Maya, I received this email from them:

"All staff are ok, Maya Palms suffered moderate damage to palapas, pool, and cosmetics. No known structural damage."

My family enjoyed our day there in November 2006 and hope that they recover fully.

For anyone who is familiar with the Maya Palms resort near Costa Maya, I received this email from them:

"All staff are ok, Maya Palms suffered moderate damage to palapas, pool, and cosmetics. No known structural damage."

My family enjoyed our day there in November 2006 and hope that they recover fully.

I'm so glad to hear about them and that everyone is ok. I have been waiting for news about the staff from the Maya Palms, and this is the first I have heard. We spent a wonderful day with them last year and are planning to go back sometime

I'd be careful of donations to the Red Cross. I hate to say that but I am a Hurricane Katrina survivor and they were not the best choice for us. I think an individual that is willing to try to work with one of the local churches or local relief groups could find the best way to assist. After Kat it was the churches that took on the bulk of the assistance.

Wasn't it the Red Cross that stepped in and set up cots in shelters, fed the hungry many meals and helped loved ones find each other after the hurricane? That's what they do... they are a first response organization!

The church relief groups are the folks that come in and help rebuild when the scene is more stable.

Wasn't it the Red Cross that stepped in and set up cots in shelters, fed the hungry many meals and helped loved ones find each other after the hurricane? That's what they do... they are a first response organization!

The church relief groups are the folks that come in and help rebuild when the scene is more stable.

I agree. The Red Cross's response following Katrina was not perfect, but then neither was anyone else's. No one from the government to Red Cross, Salvation Army, local churches, etc. were prepared to deal with the magnitude of the number of people displaced by that storm. I think the Red Cross took more flack than they really deserved. They did a tremendous amount of good work setting up shelters and feeding people, etc. They worked in conjunction with many of the local churches (including the one I belong to, which set up a small shelter in conjunction with Red Cross).

Despite some of the criticisms I heard after Katrina, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to support the Red Cross Disaster Relief funds.

We did not see the Red Cross in our community until two weeks after the hurricane. The Red Cross did have shelters AWAY from the hurricane area for evacuees. But they did not have the initial assets to get into the damaged areas.

It was the church groups/volunteers who were handing out the clothing and setting up places to feed people who were in need in the damaged areas. I would depend on a church group or local group as they are not tied down with all the BS and are able to get into the areas quicker with more of the dollars getting to those in need.

Dave

Archived