Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

Okay, is it just me or is anyone else worried about what Juan Carlos Arnau just said. I was worried before I read that, that big business would come in and take over Mahajual and turn it into another tourist attraction. If anyone who is considering doing this is out there- I like Mahajual the way it was!!!! I know it will never be exactly the same but I really liked the quaintness of it. I hope and pray that the money will be spent helping the small business owners rebuild and keep some of the same charm it had before. I am sure this tragedy of Dean is an opportunity for some to take over and turn Mahajual into a resort area or another money making proposition. I was so nice the way it was!!!!!

I totally agree...... That would be the worst thing...... I'm all for rebuilding the pier and spending lot's of money there.... And helping the small businesses..... And maybe a chain name or 2...... But to have big business come in!!!! Horrible idea..... I remember what I said as we were leaving and I looked back towards the port, "I hope the next time I come here, I can still see the trees"..... Meaning I hope there aren't tons of buildings/over populated/over commercialized so that I can't see all the trees...... :(

My take from it is that some areas are going to be bulldozed and a structured (commercial) area put in its place. Hopefully the locals and foreigners who call it home who owned business's there will be allowed to determine its final outcome.

Dave

I hope the Mayan people and the small business owners get a say in what is happening to their community. Yes, the construction and jobs would be good for them but at what cost???? I think their way of life might also be at stake. It should be for the people of the community to decide what happens there. I just hope that the locals have a voice in all this too! If Costa Maya gets built up into a major tourist attraction, my interest in that area would be lost. We also visited Grand Cayman on our trip and although it is nice there, I have no interest in visiting an area that is that dotted with buildings everywhere. We have that in the US. The lack of progress and tall buildings is what made Mahajual so beautiful. I guess all good things must come to an end.......:mad:

I agree with what you all are saying, but I wouldn't be too worried. They only pledged $1.6 million. That doesn't build much, especially when there are huge geographic obstacles to getting building materials there. It will be extremely expensive to ship in lumber, steel, etc. Isn't that the main reason it was so quaint to begin with? Maybe it is different down there, but here in California, $1.6 million in government funds would only build two houses or one store/business.

Nole4life- I must say that the pictures that you posted are amazing. The thing that hits me in the face over and over when I look at any pictures of this disaster, is that the people are all so happy and smiling. They just lost EVERYTHING! This is such a testament to who the people of that community are. This is part of why I have been so touched by this hurricane. I don't think that I have ever seen pictures in this country after a hurricane where everyone is smiling. These people are so strong! I truely hope that all goes well for the people of that area. They seem to need so little to be happy. I think the people in the US could stand to take some lessons from them and learn from them. This is why their way of life needs to be protected. I am curious to know if anyone on this post is familiar with the way the government of Mexico is run. Will the people there get a say in what kind of development goes there????

Nole4life- I must say that the pictures that you posted are amazing. The thing that hits me in the face over and over when I look at any pictures of this disaster, is that the people are all so happy and smiling. They just lost EVERYTHING! This is such a testament to who the people of that community are. This is part of why I have been so touched by this hurricane. I don't think that I have ever seen pictures in this country after a hurricane where everyone is smiling. These people are so strong! I truely hope that all goes well for the people of that area. They seem to need so little to be happy. I think the people in the US could stand to take some lessons from them and learn from them. This is why their way of life needs to be protected. I am curious to know if anyone on this post is familiar with the way the government of Mexico is run. Will the people there get a say in what kind of development goes there????

There is a large govt entity that controls everything that gets built. It sometimes takes years to get a house built. Of course money talks and things get overlooked. That is what is happening in Cozumel at the moment with construction occurring in some previously protected areas.

Dave

There is a large govt entity that controls everything that gets built. It sometimes takes years to get a house built. Of course money talks and things get overlooked. That is what is happening in Cozumel at the moment with construction occurring in some previously protected areas.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I am very afraid that big money will talk here and the little people will be left out! Areas that shouldn't be built on end up getting ruined as well as you have mentioned in Cozumel. This stinks! I guess we all better say our prayers for these people in more ways than one.

Hi Everyone:

The owner of Chac Chi, the eco resort next to the pier wrote back to me.

Cut and Paste the link to see the damage to the resort, its awful and look at the beach, its all rubble!!..It was a gorgeous sandy crescent shaped beach with gorgeous palm trees...all gone now.. Its so sad

The good news his family is safe and he is not going to sell out to any developers and he will rebuild................

Thanks for the report on Chac Chi Marge.

As a member of the "hole in the fence club" it breaks my heart to see the destruction that the fine folks in this area suffered. Hopefully we'll all be able to help in some small way to help them recover.

John

I don't see the big concern 1.6 million would hardly to put it back to the way it was. If thats going into fixing the beaches and doing what it takes to make it livable. I realize its cheaper to get things done there but its not like there are going to be highrises and restaraunts and even paved roads.

I don't see the big concern 1.6 million would hardly to put it back to the way it was. If thats going into fixing the beaches and doing what it takes to make it livable. I realize its cheaper to get things done there but its not like there are going to be highrises and restaraunts and even paved roads.

Lets hope they dont pave the roads. That was part of the charm of the place.

Dave

Yea, they really were amazing pics. My husband found a webcam for one of the hotels, and there were links on there. Eventually I found the pages I posted. I also noticed how everyone was laughing and smiling. Amazing.

Okay, is it just me or is anyone else worried about what Juan Carlos Arnau just said. I was worried before I read that, that big business would come in and take over Mahajual and turn it into another tourist attraction. If anyone who is considering doing this is out there- I like Mahajual the way it was!!!! I know it will never be exactly the same but I really liked the quaintness of it. I hope and pray that the money will be spent helping the small business owners rebuild and keep some of the same charm it had before. I am sure this tragedy of Dean is an opportunity for some to take over and turn Mahajual into a resort area or another money making proposition. I was so nice the way it was!!!!!

Majahual was in the midst of changing anyway. It was just a matter of time before it became like any other beach resort area. We all should just be happy that we were able to enjoy it the way it was.

I have helped with donations to this village/town...... They need us all right now.... And with another hurricane as a threat! God help them.

I totally understand CC's stance on this. But I wish they would allow the posts to remain with a post of their own stating:

Anyone who chooses to donate to this cause does so without the endorsement or encouragement of Cruise Critic. Donate at your own risk", "are we aren't liable for anyone donations made or to any individual/organization they are made to"....

At least we could have the info. posted, get updates but CC wouldn't have to be afraid if it went to unscrupulous people.... They need whatever help we can give.

Great thought, Cruzegirl! I sure hope CC listens to us as well. We all need to be saying our prayers with Felix impending as a catagory 5 storm. Felix needs to just break up in the Honduras mountains or something! Please CC, we are big boys and girls and can take responsibility for ourselves with this matter. We need somewhere that we can get info and take a stand for Costa Maya and the Belize area now!

A few days ago, it certainly looked like we were in the path of another disaster. As it turned out the people of Nicaragua and Honduras just experienced what we did two weeks ago. Tropical Depression Felix as it is now categorized has begun to dissipate as it heads toward the Pacific. The outer bands of the former category five hurricane Felix began arriving here on the Costa Maya at about 4:00AM this morning, Wednesday, 5 September, 2007. Moderate winds of 20 to 25 mph from the east-northeast blew away the bugs and brought some light rain. Small waves washing over the reef 800 meters in front of my home began making their way toward the beach.

It appears that for the next 24 hours we will continue to get what remains of the north side of Felix. Comparatively, as a tight strong storm, Felix was a fairly dry hurricane. But we should experience a good bit of rain today with a possibility of winds in the tropical storm range this evening – maybe up to 50mph but, it could be substantially less depending on a rate of further dissipation. Small craft advisories are in effect.

The storm surge from Felix has begun to arrive. And will continue to do so, most likely peaking around 6:00PM today. This too is an unknown quantity to me, though I feel we can expect offshore wave heights between 8 and 10 feet. Low level flooding could occur. If you were around here as Wilma passed and recall what happened here then, you most likely will see the same. Hopefully the mostly east-southeasterly direction of the waves will tend to put some of the sand Dean washed off our beaches back where it belongs. All in all what remains of Felix will be merely a minor annoyance here – just a little reminder of Dean as if we really need one. That is good news.

How about some Great News for a change? Thanks to your efforts and assistance, we have either received, have in process of receiving or have commitments for donations to the Portillas.com Hurricane Dean Relief Fund of a total of a little more than $50,000 Mexican Pesos converted from the US dollars and British Pounds you have sent via PayPal to cliff@portillas.com and wire transferred directly to my Mexican bank account for the fund.

Now that Felix has clawed his way through points south of here and is only a minor concern for the people of the Costa Maya, I am preparing for the first wave of the distribution of your donations to those who need it most. Though the numbers of those in need are in the thousands, a decision is being made by the donors as to how many families we will be able to assist in our small way. For those of you who haven’t donated or kept up with my blogs here, I have committed to giving more than 100% of the funds donated directly, in cash pesos, to those in the Costa Maya (Othón P Blanco to be exact) in need of help as a result of Hurricane Dean.

Right now, this will most likely be an on going process because the infrastructure that provided their source of employment, tourism, was severely damaged. As soon as they can get it cleaned up and again ready for business, they will suffer a lack of tourists because we imagine you will not come to enjoy a paradise damaged. I sincerely hope you will be able to overlook some of Dean’s destruction - less coconut trees and palapas to relax on the beach under, fewer bars to enjoy tropical drinks at, less places to browse for curios, t-shirts, etc. But, the people and quaintness that is the spirit of the Costa Maya will still be here. The Mexican Caribbe is still here in its purest form and underwater, exotic sea life still flourishes for the curious human’s eye. We will help them rebuild!

Friday, my postponed trip to Chetumal should begin. Perhaps it is fitting that Sunday, I now plan to start passing out the tithes you have regaled me with directly to the poor of the Costa Maya. It seems there is a consensus of the donors to hand each person I deem as in need a $200 peso note. I hope to return their smiles to you in the form of a slide show to be available for viewing as soon as I can produce it here on Portillas.com.

May God bless all those who have along with those who soon will donate to our cause. Also, if you cannot afford to send money, we understand that times are difficult. Could you please at least send a prayer for those in need? Felix surprised us all by not following the path he should have meteorologically. Is there a possibility that many of your prayers were answered? I think so.

Welcome Cliff,

I have loved reading about your adventures (and miss-adventures) from your site. It was with great sorrow as I looked over the damage of the Costa Maya area. We were just there this past March. Only now I wished we have ventured out more from the cruise port after seeing the before and after pictures.

I think it is a great thing that the locals like yourself and the folks from Playa are doing to ease the burden of the Mayan people.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Julie, I am not in Mahahual, my sister (CruiseCAT) is. These were taken from people that are there in Mahahual from another board. My sister hooked up with these people online before she flew to Cancun on Wednesday/Thursday. She met one of the other volunteers at the airport and drove down to Mahahual with him. Unfortunately none of the pictures have her in them.:( I have not talked to her since she left and do not expect to hear from her personally untill she returns to the US on Sept 8th. Her hubby did call me yesterday and said he did hear from her briefly. She is well and safe and very tired but GLAD she made this trip. I can not wait to see her video diary!

CruiseCAT - are you back?

I returned from the Costa Maya region on Saturday and can tell you that my 16 day stay was a life changing experience. I always knew Costa Maya was a GREAT place but now it will forever hold a special place in my heart; the people are incredible and I am proud to call them friends.

I have posted some of my pictures at the WebShots link in my signature.

My husband and I are planning a return trip for October 19th; there is still much to be done.

Just got back on Saturday and already planning a return trip for October 19, there is still much to be done.

I have always loved Costa Maya but after this life changing experience this region of Mexico pulls at my heart. I find it impossible to express what a special place this is and the bond that I have with the people.

If you are interested I have posted some of my pictures at the WebShots link located in my signature.

Archived