"Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip" (Celebrity Shore Ex.)

birders

Has anyone done this? I've never rafted white water. (Last cruise to Alaska I did a helicopter flight with landing on the Norris Glacier in Juneau - fabulous!)

Here's the float trip description: (Would appreciate comments from anyone with experience.)

"Join a white-water rafting trip that is popular with beginner and experienced rafters of all ages. Your adventure begins with a drive to Mendenhall Lake, where you may view the Mendenhall Glacier, which measures 1.5 miles wide and 150 feet high at the face. Near the shoreline you'll suit up with rain gear, life jackets and rubber boots. Each raft carries eight to twelve people and is rowed by an experienced guide. While boarding your raft, view the Mendenhall Glacier and its floating icebergs in the distance. Hanging glaciers, towering peaks and glacial topography may also be seen. As your raft proceeds down the river, your guide will explain the natural phenomena in the valley and you'll encounter stretches of rapids, adding excitement to the trip. Make an Alaskan-style snack stop near the end of the river where smoked salmon spread, reindeer sausage, cheese, crackers and beverages are provided. After your adventure return to the ship via motor coach."

havne't done this, but can tell you that if they allow beginners, you won't hit any class IV rapids. Mostly little ripples, I'd guess. Probably only class I and II rapids.

DMS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;9;1;19;0;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Carnival Spirit 9/1

It's not really that great.. apparently tour operator has changed since we did a while back as people are saying they don't spend much time in the lake near hte glacier (which we did). the float down the river itself isn't very scenic, actually through part of a residential area. They have parts of car bodies along the river bank to help shore it up... kind of unique not not very scenic. I enjoyed it for the "lake" time but since that's been shortened greatly you might look at some other options.

Host Caroline

<font SIZE="1">One can never have too many days at sea...</font> icon_smile.gif

Sept 04-Royal Hounds Mariner of the Seas

Feb 05-Partae Pirates Carnival Miracle

I have done a lot of touring in Alaska and this is one trip I do not recommend. No rapids and only a brief distant view of Mendenahall that I got and when I have been at Mendenhall, I have never seen the rafts come anywhere near the glacier. Rest of trip is trees and backyards. Money is better spent elsewhere in my opinion.

The people I talked to on the ship who took this tour were also disappointed that they barely saw the glacier, it wasn't a very scenic trip, and they got soaking wet.

The canoe is a great alternative. You get as close as safely possible to the face of the glacier and land by the waterfall nearby. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Celebrity is offering this alone, it comes with other things that may or may not appeal to you.

I went on the glacier trip last June. My wife and I had never been rafting before and had a terrific time, notwithstanding some of the drawbacks listed below. You could row with an oar if you wanted, or you could sit back and let your guide do the work. The rapids part of the trip is not very long. (I only recall about 20-25 minutes). But, there were some good class II and III rapids. The tour operator took a good picture of us from afar as we went through the rapids, which we bought for about $10 or $15. Most of the rafting trip is a leisurely float down a fairly narrow river through what looks like a residential neighborhood. We saw several bald eagles high atop the trees. All in all, it was a nice excursion.

That being said, I have to agree with many of the other posters here that many will not like it. First, in part because the Mendenhall Glacier is situated on the river, we were told that the water temp. was in the high 30s-low 40s. You are provided a pair of boots to wear, but your feet will still almost go numb. You are also given a waterproof "jumpsuit" to wear which will keep the rest of your body dry. But, they don't give you any gloves, and your hands will definitely be freezing once you get splashed with water. Also, there are a couple of times during the rapids portion that you could certainly get a face full of freezing water. This wasn't anything that we weren't prepared to experience, but man was that water cold! Second, it was raining. There is always a good chance of rain in Alaska, and this excursion will go rain or shine. Combine that with the cold air temperature and I don't know how my wife and I didn't catch a cold. The tour operator gave out free hot chocolate after the excursion ended and boy did we need it! Third, we never got to see the Mendenhall Glacier because of the heavy fog/mist. Perhaps it was just our bad luck, or because we went in the morning. But, we couldn't see more than 30 feet in front of us while we were in the lake on which the glacier is situated (probably the first 20-30 minutes of the trip). It wasn't until we got to the river portion of the tour that things cleared up. So, I would certainly agree that, if seeing the Mendenhall Glacier up close is at the top of your list, this excursion might not be the one for you.

All in all, there are a few thrilling moments, but "float trip" is a pretty accurate description. Considering the length of the tour and the nice, scenic bus ride to/from the tour, it was definitely money well spent. In fact, the bus ride was almost as fun as the tour. We saw plenty of bald eagles.

I'll agree with you, elephant98. Never been rafting before ourselves and we enjoyed the trip. We did hope for more rapids, though. Also, on our trip we did "float" a little closer to the glacier (thought we'd get closer, but it was fine). Travelling with kids, this was a good option; they enjoyed the small pieces of ice floating nearby, too. The wet suits did help; I seemed to be the lucky one to get wet! And your hands do get cold. Before the excursion we walked around the visitor center for some photos of the glacier. As others have said, if you're looking for a more challenging rapid experience you might want to look at a different excursion.

• 4 years later...
I went on the glacier trip last June. My wife and I had never been rafting before and had a terrific time, notwithstanding some of the drawbacks listed below. You could row with an oar if you wanted, or you could sit back and let your guide do the work. The rapids part of the trip is not very long. (I only recall about 20-25 minutes). But, there were some good class II and III rapids. The tour operator took a good picture of us from afar as we went through the rapids, which we bought for about $10 or $15. Most of the rafting trip is a leisurely float down a fairly narrow river through what looks like a residential neighborhood. We saw several bald eagles high atop the trees. All in all, it was a nice excursion.

That being said, I have to agree with many of the other posters here that many will not like it. First, in part because the Mendenhall Glacier is situated on the river, we were told that the water temp. was in the high 30s-low 40s. You are provided a pair of boots to wear, but your feet will still almost go numb. You are also given a waterproof "jumpsuit" to wear which will keep the rest of your body dry. But, they don't give you any gloves, and your hands will definitely be freezing once you get splashed with water. Also, there are a couple of times during the rapids portion that you could certainly get a face full of freezing water. This wasn't anything that we weren't prepared to experience, but man was that water cold! Second, it was raining. There is always a good chance of rain in Alaska, and this excursion will go rain or shine. Combine that with the cold air temperature and I don't know how my wife and I didn't catch a cold. The tour operator gave out free hot chocolate after the excursion ended and boy did we need it! Third, we never got to see the Mendenhall Glacier because of the heavy fog/mist. Perhaps it was just our bad luck, or because we went in the morning. But, we couldn't see more than 30 feet in front of us while we were in the lake on which the glacier is situated (probably the first 20-30 minutes of the trip). It wasn't until we got to the river portion of the tour that things cleared up. So, I would certainly agree that, if seeing the Mendenhall Glacier up close is at the top of your list, this excursion might not be the one for you.

All in all, there are a few thrilling moments, but "float trip" is a pretty accurate description. Considering the length of the tour and the nice, scenic bus ride to/from the tour, it was definitely money well spent. In fact, the bus ride was almost as fun as the tour. We saw plenty of bald eagles.

I just got back from Alaska on Sat. 8/2. We did this excrusions and I agree with everything you said. It was only different for us in that we had a little shower in the beginning, but then, miracle of miracles, the Sun came out, and it was beautiful. However, I would not recommend this trip to anyone. It was way too long and boring for the most part looking at people's backyards. Also, and this may just be "my luck", the hood of the jacket that went over the jumpsuit I was loaned had a really nasty smell! :eek: I couldn't wait for the tour to be over! Mosquittoes were also an issue. It was a one-time only thing for us. The rapids were very small and went by really quickly, nothing to write home about. If seeing the Mendenhall Glacier is your goal, there are better and cheaper ways to see it. If 10 is the best and 1 is the worst, I would rate this tour a 3!:eek: I think the DH would rate it a 5. The DS gave it a 6. So, there ya go!:D

I might be biased since this "tour" goes through my backyard, but I would not recommend this excursion. I saw something else on the boards that said this trip was going for like $89! There's no way this raft trip is worth that.

I also wouldn't exactly call this "white water rapids." Most of the time the tourists floating through our backyard look bored out of their minds. If your goal is to see the Mendenhall Glacier (and stare at it for more than 3 seconds) I would recommend hopping on the MGT bus at the cruiseship terminal (the light blue busses) for $7. Those will take you out to the glacier, where you are free to explore on your own. You can go to the Visitor Center (which I think is $5 during the summer) or hike around, walk out to the big viewing rock, the pavilion, etc.

You won't really miss anything by not rafting down the river. In fact, you'll see more. You'll be able to walk over to the fish viewing area and along the little nature trail on the raised walkway. Last summer/early fall there was a sow and baby lounging in the grass just off the walkway nearly every single evening. It was awesome! Also, depending on the time you're here, you'll also be able to see the spawning sockeye.

Have fun with whatever you decide!

Archived