It will be Chilly in Chile - What should I take!

kazover40

We are cruising the Chillean Fjords in November and whilst I have a good idea what to wear ashore, layers, layers and more layers.

What is the temperature like on board. Do I need long sleeves and woolies, or can I get away with blouses and slacks, skirts etc. indoors.

It is really hard to get my head round, no sun worshipping, on deck activities etc.

Help!

upside down. So November is Spring time. The cities in mid-January were HOT (90's), but the fjords area and south varied from mild 70's to hot 80's to freeezing cold 40's. Some wind, rain, more wind, more wind. and the most beautiful scenery and people ! Loved it!

We did the cruise from Santiago around the horn and up to Buenos Aires! It was warm in Santiago and Montivideo and Buenos Aires, tropical weather, and even on deck.....then it got cooler and cooler. Bring sweaters that can layer over long sleeve shirts, jeans for shore excursions. We were sorry we didn't bring our silk long johns for around Cape Horn. The Falkland Islands were very cold...need hat and gloves. I bought another coat, and definitely need an windbreaker type jacket. It was the most beautiful trip as we went through the Chilian Ice Fields and saw 5 Glaciers one morning!

As to being on ship, nice sweat suits or knits are great and I found a nice shawl worked great in the evening. The ship temperature is nice, not cold, but sometimes as you pass through some areas it is nice to have the sweater. I should have had one nice all purpose sweater!!

You will love the trip, even more when you are prepared!! Dress warm to see the penquins!!

We did the cruise from Santiago around the horn and up to Buenos Aires! It was warm in Santiago and Montivideo and Buenos Aires, tropical weather, and even on deck.....then it got cooler and cooler. Bring sweaters that can layer over long sleeve shirts, jeans for shore excursions. We were sorry we didn't bring our silk long johns for around Cape Horn. The Falkland Islands were very cold...need hat and gloves. I bought another coat, and definitely need an windbreaker type jacket. It was the most beautiful trip as we went through the Chilian Ice Fields and saw 5 Glaciers one morning!

.As to being on ship, nice sweat suits or knits are great and I found a nice shawl worked great in the evening. The ship temperature is nice, not cold, but sometimes as you pass through some areas it is nice to have the sweater. I should have had one nice all purpose sweater!!

You will love the trip, even more when you are prepared!! Dress warm to see the penquins!!

Thank you so much Mes531. You have certainly made things a lot clearer for me and DH:cool:

You are right as to being prepared. Some people on our cruise packed and dressed as if they were in the tropics...big mistake! It was a shame they hadn't prepared, as they had difficulty accepting the beauty of the area! Also, make sure you sign up for the penquin tours well ahead. On our cruise, those that hadn't signed up well ahead were waitlisted for all the penquin tours!! In the Falkland Islands, if you are going there, it is the best tour as there is nothing in Stanley!

Have a great cruise!:D Mary

I did buy a beautiful shawl on the trip. There are areas where they are selling hand crafted woolens, beautiful. A nice sweater, or shawl will be great as the ship did get drafty if people opened some of the doors as we were down near Cape Horn. It was the wind that made it seem colder. They also sell some neat crazy hats! It was fun!;)

Archived