Can't wait to Cruise

loadsofpanache

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are first time cruisers we picked the QM2 because of all the great reports we have heard. Since we booked back in March we have been avid readers of this message board its so good to get different opinons we all have our own take on any given subject.

I hate to be a drag and bring up a subject which probably has been covered before but....

On the matter of a long dress for the formal nights where do all you ladies buy them from?

I have been looking for months in my local stores and dresses seem to come in two category's

1. The young going to the Prom look.... No to old for that!

2. The Shapeless sack of potatoes look..... Not for me. I can stay at home and look like a sack of potatoes if I wanted to!

Has anyone any experience in buying a gown online:

Return policys, Shipping, What would you expect to pay,

Both my husband and I are really looking forward to the formal nights and he bought a fantastic tuxedo online (very James Bond shaken not stirred.... well he stirred me :p :p :p ).

Anyway let me know your thoughts or share an experience look forward to hearing from you :)

Welcome to the board! You sound like a very fun person (you need to be to survive this board!) so will fit right in. I know what you mean about the gowns. It can be so hard to find something classy yet not over the top. I have had good luck at Younkers and Macy's and usually look for something that has simple lines but is a bold color which helps it to not look like a sack! I tried to upload a picture of my favorite dress but it does not seem to like it. At any rate, the fabic has a lot to do with it and you may find that a more muted fabric fits the bill. Haven't ever bought a dress online so I am sorry I am of no help to you there. Have fun shopping!

I have been successful with nordstroms.com. There is a great selection with a wide price range. What I liked the most was that they have manufacturer specific size charts. When you click on a dress you like, it brings up the sizing for that item. Haven't had to return anything. so far! Exchanges are free and they charge $5.00 for returns (unless you take it back to one of their stores. Then the return is free. Of course they don't refund the shipping charges.)

Do you have Marshall's or their higher-end store Ross? It's pretty hit-or-miss, but I have found good things there at great prices. I've found good things in Macy's, too. Do you have Lord & Taylor? That's my favorite source of formal wear.

Are there any outlets near you? Jones NY uses excellent quality fabrics that travel well. Evan Picone, too. (EP might now be a Jones company)

How about Lohmann's? Another hit-or-miss, but I've found nice gowns there.

My biggest problem is finding formal wear in a nice color. Because I live near NYC where "we're only wearing black until they come up with a darker color," almost all gowns are black. As you're in Florida, you probably have a shot at a better variety of colors.

Don't laugh, but consider Ebay for buying online. It isn't all used clothing. I bought a nice (brand new) cocktail dress on Ebay from a seller who had an 'Ebay store' with lots of formal wear. Most sellers list the measurements of the garment, but if you're hard to please or hard to fit, that might not work for you, as most sellers don't take returns because you didn't like it.

A good way to go for formal wear is to get a long skirt and different tops to go with it. My long black skirt has been on so many cruises and trips to the cleaners that it's fading. Oh! I guess that means I have to go shopping!!!!:D

Kathy

Ebay, yes a great idea (I guess I have bought clothes on line and just didn't remember! I bought a beautiful long silk Chinese gown on Ebay for, with shipping $12.00 and I was able to email them my measurements for an exact fit. It arrived and was a beautifully embrodiered silk. Very classy and so very not prom! WARNING they are very straight dresses and some have longer slits then others. It is something you will want to ask them about. I am buying 2 more for my upcoming sailing in different colors.

Archived