Hate to be rude...

DyanaT

No wonder you like his review, seems like you both went to the same school.

Trust me, we understood it, very literally really and without a thesaurus.

The reason most of us thought it ridiculous, is that it did not use the everyday lexicon...

May I ask you two questions, do you decorate your cabin door?, also at christmas do you have a strange desire to turn the front of your house into a winter wonderland ?, I love social intercourse, on any level, regards, syntax the dyslexic

Hate to be rude... but thank GOD I don't have to travel with the man who wrote this review... it's like a crazy university professor.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=31810

Here's my favorite part (I'm being sarcastic):

Granted the need for illusion in the face of despair, but what I saw on the Conquest was not so much the need for illusion as it was the need to let out one's "inner-ugly American" like one's burgeoning gut -- that person who eats their body fat percentage in bacon, gets their jollies from what they can get away with and, principally, never thinks once about their fundamental reality unless someone around them impinges on it.

I liked it!

I would sail with him, actually I would like him as a table mate.That wold be a very interesting week for sure.:D

To use the everyday lexicon..... yo yo yo, I thought his spat was off the hook. Peace out!

I enjoyed reading the review. Granted there were a few words that a dictionary may have been required for me:confused: . I did a blog post the other day about how to read a cruise review, so I had to read it to see if I could follow my own advice. Tongue and cheek or not, there was a lot of information anyone could pull from it and find usefull. My favorite line after reading the whole thing is "We will probably cruise Carnival again someday."

Never seen so many negative comments/reviews of someones 'review'. Thats it - blast away at anything u don't understand..typical behaviour understood by those of us that study such actions..

For those who did, if not actually understanding it (although for those college and even high school educated it wasn't difficut) manage to make sense of it and read it carefully it was rather amusing and tongue-in-cheek. Actually interesting for a change compared to some of the mundane silly stuff that is supposed to pass for reviews..

In my humble opinion it was interesting and certainly above the tongue lashing a lot of u have been administering & plse spare us the nasty comments also. Your ignorance is showing!! I mean just read 'PJTN66's posting - I rest my case!!

Plse don't waste your time admonishing me - I am immune... I simply find it silly but of course, expected from some of u...

I, for one, wld be delighted to travel with this educated and articulate gentleman - be nice for a change...

Happy cruisin' all!

Aren't you pompous as well?

This isn't about understanding his review, it's about enjoying it. Obviously, he wanted to achieve some recongnition for his writing. It may please you, but in reading a review, it wasn't my style of 'entertainment'. Some of the best reviews I have read on these boards were VERY long. These great reviews are the ones that are SO well written, that you feel as if you're on board the ship experiencing everything the poster experienced on his/her cruise. You can feel the excitement, hear the noises and almost taste the food. These are the reviews that have you gasping in shock (sometimes, horror) and laughing out loud and making you crave another cruise, OR making you think twice about it...they are about the cruise.

THIS review was about this guy's attempt to showcase his writing...nothing more.

Aren't you pompous as well?

This isn't about understanding his review, it's about enjoying it. Obviously, he wanted to achieve some recongnition for his writing. It may please you, but in reading a review, it wasn't my style of 'entertainment'. Some of the best reviews I have read on these boards were VERY long. These great reviews are the ones that are SO well written, that you feel as if you're on board the ship experiencing everything the poster experienced on his/her cruise. You can feel the excitement, hear the noises and almost taste the food. These are the reviews that have you gasping in shock (sometimes, horror) and laughing out loud and making you crave another cruise, OR making you think twice about it...they are about the cruise.

THIS review was about this guy's attempt to showcase his writing...nothing more.

For myself, I disagree. I enjoyed his writing style. I just hope he doesn't speak that way all the time. LOL THAT would get old (for me personally). And if you have a way with words, what's the harm in showing it off a bit, especially on something posted for prosperity?

My two cents. The op was very rude in starting this thread. Especially in the fact that she didn't even read the review. How pompous is that? The review was very well written. The review said very flattering things about the cruise. It was not negative. Perhaps big words just scare people. Maybe all reviews should be writeen with four letter words or less.

:) Great review! Very original, descriptive and informative about all aspects of the cruising experience, ports & excursions, dining, public rooms, cabins, entertainment, activities, special likes and dislikes, favorite out-of-the way spots, etc. Very amusing. Loved it!

Definitely an academic.... maybe even a purple horned frog ;)

May I ask you two questions, do you decorate your cabin door?, also at christmas do you have a strange desire to turn the front of your house into a winter wonderland ?, I love social intercourse, on any level, regards, syntax the dyslexic

No I do not decorate the cabin door

and No my house is not a psycho winter wonderland.. LOL

WOW... I was not expecting a response quite so large... I was simply killing time last night as I was nursing off a killer headache (which I still have!)

Let me reiterate what I said... which was that I'm glad I don't have to travel with this guy.

That does not make me UNEDUCATED (I won't start a pissing war but I do have a graduate level degree from a well-respected school) so let's not use this review as a chance to boast our superiority from completing higher education. That does not make me JUDGEMENTAL... I simply wouldn't want to travel with someone who speaks with such pompous verbage. That's not to say he shouldn't write reviews or go on Carnival Cruises... all I'm saying is I'm glad he's not in the same stateroom as me! And lastly, it wasn't that I didn't UNDERSTAND it... I appreciate all the time he put into the review adding his big words and 'fluff'. I could have used him for my collge thesis. It's not to say he's a bad writer... he's just the guy I pray doesn't sit down next to me at the dinner table.

So now that I'm the bad guy (girl!), I agree with the other commentor, let's focus on the important stuff like shorts in the dining room (hah!)

Loved the armpits, not sure about the hat though, what is that you are holding? regards

I really enjoyed reading the review and thought it was very good. I for one would love to travel with this guy and his wife/gf or sit with them at dinneror at the wine/martini bar. It would be a hoot and I can just imagine the interesting conversations that would be had!

It sounded to me like they had a wonderful cruise and spoke very highly of the cruise in general. I agree that the shows on Carnival are HORRIBLE and agree that it's not the entertainers but the choreography, etc. that make the shows so bad. If anything this review makes me want to go on a Carnival cruise:D!

The major point that this review gets across imho is that a cruise is what you make of it. Some would like to travel with this guy, while others would not. However, the great thing is that all of us, no matter what our preference, can have a fantastic time on a Carnival cruise. Now that says a lot about a company:). GO CARNIVAL!!!!!!!

Jodie

I thought it was freakin' hysterical. But then again, I deal with the doucheiouse on a daily basis so nothing shocks me. I'm used to people who don't quite understand why public transportation doesn't include a club car. It sounds like the guy actually had a good time, but was clearly not with the type of crowd his didactic self would normally enjoy. Read it like a fish-out-of-water story, like the teatotaller prom queen wandering into a beer bash. :D

Thank you for your explanation, it has reasurred me, how remiss of me to think that it was the domain of the self-aggrandizing sycophant, but it proves, even I can be wrong, regards

I think some of the more overtop ones, perhaps myself included.. is its just "fun". I dont want to use my real photo (paranoia)

Learning how to implant these items on the signature, its like "look what i can do" !

Just fun, at least for me, no harmful intentions!

Cheers!

For myself, I disagree. I enjoyed his writing style.

That's absolutely it..his style.

Everyone has different taste. I enjoy a 'story teller' as opposed to a literary genious...which is why I'm a fan of authors like Stephen King. It's just about style. :)

To each his own. :D

But then again, I deal with the doucheiouse on a daily basis so nothing shocks me.

D

ROFLMAO!! Excellent!

Just a over educated and articulate gentleman views with no common sense.

"Over educated"? Didn't know there was such a thing. :(

Consider the alternative... which your post unfortunately represents. :rolleyes:

Not only is he pretentious, he is a self hating American with an inflated ego. He misses the irony that is, that he basically accuses other Americans as having thus the "ugly American" comment

He is subconcieniously unaware of his "guilt" of living in the USA and having a stable economy versus what he perceives of Jamaican life.

Quite honestly I think he's full of it

Well Americans ARE the most obnoxious travellers out there, hands down!

I dont necessarily agree with that. Yes we have a large 'pool' of personalitys.. but i have traveled alot.. and being an Italian American, the Italians give us a run for the money.. I dont want to start a pissing war.. but its true... they are snobs/slobs & superstars..

Not true, in a survey last month we the brits had improved from 1st place to 3rd worst tourists, US tourists came in at about 10th, you have to try harder to beat us brits on holliday, regards

Archived