Hate to be rude...

DyanaT

Oh, ok, he made a comment about the poverty in Jamaica. Well, frankly, we weren't comfortable when we were in Jamaica either, and the poverty there (and the hate in some of the faces) is startling to someone who has never experienced that face to face. Sure, we'd seen pictures in Nat. Geographic, and on TV, but to be there was an epiphany of sorts. Our younger son and dil also were there with us, but on a different tour (they took the horseys through the surf), and commented about exactly the same thing when they came back to the ship.

They remarked how "insensitive" it seemed for tourists from N. America to be boozing it up at that cheeseburger in paradise place while being surrounded by folks who looked like they hadn't eaten that day.

Moreover, on a tour DW and I once took on Roatan Island, we were highly upset by some of the remarks made by some of the other passengers about how the islanders there were "stupid, lazy, etc." We found them to be kind and gentle and fun to talk to, and one of our most memorable afternoons was spent "going native" rather than on a directed tour. All some overfed ship passenger with a rear end that should have its own zipcode kept commenting on was how bumpy the roads were and "WHY CAN'T THEY FIX THEM???!!!"

She was the personification of the ugly american as described in the late fifties early sixties novel.

I don't see how criticizing the poor behavior of fellow passengers makes one anti-american.

BnB

I guess I am looking at this two ways. Part of me feels very much like someone wrote above, that this is a vacation and we can evolve at other times; but there is another part of me that also wonders what it will feel like to see all the food wasted during the cruise knowing that there are destinations where the people are literally just above starvation. When I read about the gluttony and bacon that is what came to mind. I would not let it ruin my cruise, but I don't think it is such an awful thing to spend a few minutes thinking just how lucky I am based on the luck I had being born in America.

lol...

I too look back at my posts and shake my head at some of the spelling typos I have made especially considering the fact that I am a teacher...rotfl:D!

Good thing we are not graded on our cc posts!!

Jodie

lol...isn't that the truth! I read the comment about the use of ...... (dots) rather than comma's and thought Boy do I resemble that remark. :confused:

I was prepared to hate the review based on the clip the OP provided. But after reading it I think it is one of the better reviews written. Sure the guy is pretentious...he admits that, but he really gives some great info. Overall the review was very postive towards Carnival and a bit less kind towards himself and other passengers. But even then it was mostly tongue in cheek. I don't think he dislike Americans at all.....he just saw, and commented on, the social differences between those of us that have plenty (and yet still complain) and those that have very little. If anything I would want to take that cruise based on the review he wrote. Plus it was entertaining to read....much better than "the food sucked" and "never again will I travel on Carnival" without any explaination or rationale. Well, there's my 2 cents.

I agree. I thought the review was very well written. It doesn't appear as though most people are patient enough to get past his first impressions and general observations of the passengers.

This review was really one of the best ever written and belongs in a Travleogue. He is an eloquent writer and very introspective.

Ironically, his way of thinking is represented here on these boards with all of the negativity, especially from those of you who didn't even read the review.

I just had to say this - and I hope the OP reads it, too.

This review was really one of the best ever written and belongs in a Travleogue. He is an eloquent writer and very introspective.

Ironically, his way of thinking is represented here on these boards with all of the negativity, especially from those of you who didn't even read the review.

I just had to say this - and I hope the OP reads it, too.

So you agree with his detailed assesment of cozumel? :rolleyes:

So you agree with his detailed assesment of cozumel? :rolleyes:

What's wrong with what he said about Cozumel? See below (for the second time). :rolleyes:

-- Cozumel -- Cozumel is freaking hot.

A tourist's paradise -- all kinds of shopping and lots of bargain-able goods. Capitalism at its finest with the Americans generally bullying their way to the top.

We took the Sunshine Segway tour -- rode Segways from an HQ building to a resortish beach and back to the HQ. My favorite excursion -- in part because I'm a technophile, in part because I'd always wanted to ride a Segway. Darwin and Alan (our guides and teachers) were fantastic, and the Segways were a lot of fun (and scary instinctual). King Dumpling continues to amaze.

At the risk of being blasted, I must say, I enjoyed reading the review. I felt that he was very complimentary about most aspects of the cruise and the ports they visited.

I don't minding reading about people's negative experiences or hearing their suggestions, because it helps me in my own cruise planning.

I love social observation, I find it interesting how the loyalty to a cruise line seems to cloud the faithfulls judgement, they appear to deal with any post that criticizes the line with an "attack" this stimulates other like minds to join in, and form a pack, safety in numbers, they egg each other on, this then inflates the egos, and they then try to outdo each other, at the expense of the hapless victim, then other posters rally in suport of the victim, the pack then fractures, unsure of there cause, most skulk away to find another victim, leaving the odd loon, who will battle on,may I add to the list of epithets, The Ferral Poster. I love it!

This guy cracked me up! I think he has written one of the best and most honest reviews I've read. You got to remember that reviews, of course, are subjective. Thats why they call them reviews...

I loved the comment about half way through. After reading all 20th grade comments, I literally laughed out loud when I read his perspective on Cozumel...

-- Cozumel -- Cozumel is freaking hot.

:D

One of the best things about America is that we have the freedom to read, listen or watch whatever we choose too, or choose not too.

Let the spirit of God be your guide.

I love social observation, I find it interesting how the loyalty to a cruise line seems to cloud the faithfulls judgement, they appear to deal with any post that criticizes the line with an "attack" this stimulates other like minds to join in, and form a pack, safety in numbers, they egg each other on, this then inflates the egos, and they then try to outdo each other, at the expense of the hapless victim, then other posters rally in suport of the victim, the pack then fractures, unsure of there cause, most skulk away to find another victim, leaving the odd loon, who will battle on,may I add to the list of epithets, The Ferral Poster. I love it!

Its a Fantasy chat board. Its made up of the worlds best tippers also.

Aha! The review author makes an appearance. :D

I read part of the review after seeing how hot the thread was. Didn't think it was bad. I was heartened to see someone else write just like I do: sometimes a little funny, always very boring.;)

Dan

I completely agree with you here. I love to cruise, but often feel a bit awkward among those with so little. We have been so lucky for so long here in America, it has really created such a sense of entitlement with some, it is embarrassing. We just need to remember, we are a guest in their country, and even though they may seem to have very little, they may be proud of what they have.

MAC

Nicely said Mac.

BnB

Aha! The review author makes an appearance. :D

I read part of the review after seeing how hot the thread was. Didn't think it was bad. I was heartened to see someone else write just like I do: sometimes a little funny, always very boring.;)

Dan

I am in miami next saturday, I will be signing my my latest work, called "**** my Post Page" in the Wallmart half way down Kendal drive, I think I will also take the opportunity to kill two poulet with one zercon, and buy some cutting edge fashion for the cruise we will take a week later, I think the ship is the ***** of the Seas, regards ps you are most welcome

Oh, ok, he made a comment about the poverty in Jamaica. Well, frankly, we weren't comfortable when we were in Jamaica either, and the poverty there (and the hate in some of the faces) is startling to someone who has never experienced that face to face. Sure, we'd seen pictures in Nat. Geographic, and on TV, but to be there was an epiphany of sorts. Our younger son and dil also were there with us, but on a different tour (they took the horseys through the surf), and commented about exactly the same thing when they came back to the ship.

They remarked how "insensitive" it seemed for tourists from N. America to be boozing it up at that cheeseburger in paradise place while being surrounded by folks who looked like they hadn't eaten that day.

Moreover, on a tour DW and I once took on Roatan Island, we were highly upset by some of the remarks made by some of the other passengers about how the islanders there were "stupid, lazy, etc." We found them to be kind and gentle and fun to talk to, and one of our most memorable afternoons was spent "going native" rather than on a directed tour. All some overfed ship passenger with a rear end that should have its own zipcode kept commenting on was how bumpy the roads were and "WHY CAN'T THEY FIX THEM???!!!"

She was the personification of the ugly american as described in the late fifties early sixties novel.

I don't see how criticizing the poor behavior of fellow passengers makes one anti-american.

BnB

I concur, also Bakechef, very erudite, regards

I think you're confusing anti-american with self-hating american

While it may be an exageration, there are some of us, myself included at times, who when in a port of extreme poverty, feels guilt for all we have

Thus the self loathing. .and the "guilt" of being born into one of the greatest countries for no apparent reason except sheer luck of ancestry

Its a Fantasy chat board. Its made up of the worlds best tippers also.[/quote]

Boy that seems to really bother you huh:confused:

No not at all,its a fantasy chat board and new people are the ones who get more info than they need now. I still say most people are making things up just like the thread on knocking on someones door.I highly doubt all those that stated they would use violence,would actually do it.Its easy on this board to say one thing and do actually do another.

Archived