Salmon Bakes - Skagway Or Juneau?

oceanlovinmama

I love Salmon and cannot wait to get to Alaska to taste the freshest catch. We are renting a car in Skagway to go to Emerald Lake and I'm wondering if we should stop in Liarsville for the Salmon Bake or wait and do the one in Juneau. I also wrote down a name of a restaurant in Juneau from these boards that has good Salmon. Any suggestions or thoughts? Any other recommendations for bakes or restaurants? We are on the Diamond leaving Vancouver Sept. 1st.

Hmmm...thought someone would answer by now.

There's two salmon bakes in Juneau. Both can be arranged independently, so you can do them for lunch, dinner, or any time you're free. I've seen full buses headed to Gold Creek Salmon Bake at the weirdest times, but maybe folks stay on their hometown time.

Gold Creek Salmon Bake: www.alaskaadventures.com I believe it's $34 when I checked earlier this year. They offer entertainment and a creekside location, which I just imagine stinks to high heaven with dead fish right about now!

Thane Ore House has a oceanside location. www.thaneorehouse.com More low-key and it's $22. (No banjos?)

Doc Water's Pub is in The Wharf, the large blue building on..the wharf. Views with your salmon. www.DocWatersPub.com

For a different take on seafood, there's Wild Spice: http://thewildspice.com/3.html

Another Asian-themed take on salmon: http://www.zen-restaurant.net/index.php

Everyone recommends The Twisted Fish downtown, thus it tends to be crowded, a wait for a table at some times, and loud. I've had the salmon in a shell with cream cheese and raspberry sauce...let's just say it was as rich as it sounds. Stick with the plain fish; you can't go wrong.

There's also 'old-fashioned' places like The Hanger, The Prospector, The Baranof Hotel, The Breakwater, where you're going to get your slab of fish, potato and veg. It's going to be good; you can't really screw up fresh fish. :D

We did the salmon Bake there and loved it. My DH dosent like Salmon but there he loved it..They put a sweet sauce over it that was just gorgeous..:)..While we were there someone walked in with a freshly caught salmon that was going to be served up later..

Hey just do the salmon bake at both places..;)

Archived