Getting to Pier in Buenos Aires

ging466

Hi

I'm cruising South America in December and am staying at the Sheraton San Martin the night before the cruise. Can anyone tell me if this hotel is within walking distance of the pier...I prefer to walk if possible rather than being ripped off by horrible taxi drivers....thankx for any help.

Regards Ging466

The Sheraton hotels near San Martin square are not far from the ports -- however, it's not a place you would want to walk to, especially dragging bags in the heat. Look here. That's Plaza San Martin. Drag downward with the "hand" until you see the other part of the park/plaza across the street with the statue in the center. (You can tell it's a statue by the shadow.) Your hotel is across the street, to the right and down a bit. The half circle drive is the entrance to the two Sheratons that are side by side.

Now pull the perspective back until you see the port in an industrial area. It's a short easy cab ride (I've done the exact ride you will do.) Cabs in Buenos Aires are plentiful and cheap. If you do get "ripped off" it will be for an extra dollar. I've spent time in BA and used cabs to get around town and will do so again.

Buenos_Aires_Circuit

I agree with the previous poster. And depending what entrance they are using for the ship it can be a lot further than you would expect from looking at the port from your hotel or at a map. As to taxis, they are not a problem if you get them at your hotel. Simply ask the doorman how much you should pay and make sure the driver runs the meter. Be careful to pay your driver in local currency (preferably where you do not need to get change) and count your change. As Shorex already said, the so-called taxi rip-offs are generally for an extra 1 or 2 dollars (no biggie). Be careful that your taxi takes you to the correct entrance. When you drive along the front of the port you will see your ship and even people who might still be leaving the ship, but they usually (not always) use an entrance that is way down the street, than a right turn, and another right into a different port entrance (they than bus you back to the ship). If you do not see other people getting out of taxis or buses, than you are probably not at the proper entrance. We learned (the hard way) that its quite a hike (with luggage) to walk to that correct entrance.

Hank

• 1 month later...
Hi

I'm cruising South America in December and am staying at the Sheraton San Martin the night before the cruise. Can anyone tell me if this hotel is within walking distance of the pier...I prefer to walk if possible rather than being ripped off by horrible taxi drivers....thankx for any help.

Regards Ging466

We will also be cruising out of Buenos Aires (Dream 12/9) and several people have recommended the Claridge hotel. Your question was a good one as I was also wondering what the best way was to get to the port.

The Claridge is a beautiful hotel and only a short distance further from the port than the Sheraton and the Marriott at Plaza San Martin. The Claridge is the former Park Hyatt and is a gorgeous property with very nice dining and shopping closeby. It also walking distance to Recoletta area with more shopping, museums and lots of great outdoor dining cafes. (I lived for a while at Plaza San Martin as an expat).

The Claridge is a beautiful hotel and only a short distance further from the port than the Sheraton and the Marriott at Plaza San Martin. The Claridge is the former Park Hyatt and is a gorgeous property with very nice dining and shopping closeby. It also walking distance to Recoletta area with more shopping' date=' museums and lots of great outdoor dining cafes. (I lived for a while at Plaza San Martin as an expat).[/quote']

Thanks for the comments on the Claridge. We will be staing there in March before our cruise on the Star Princess.

A warning about taxis in South America - many taxi cabs are not legitimate and are running illegal services that take tourists hostage and then make them shell out their bank accounts at ATMS. Buenos Aires is a generally safe city, but just make sure you are getting a licensed, real cab driver.

Archived