Take a rock home?

brandymleahy

Do you guys think it is against any laws or such to bring a rock home as a souvenir for my grandma? I'm not sure why she wants one she just asked me to bring her an ocean rock back from my trip. Would I get into alott of trouble or is it okay for me to do?:confused:

I collect rocks. Sounds weird right. :p I once brought back a 5 pound rock from the Colorado River. hehehehe

Sure why not...

Cursed rocks......The most famous are lava rocks from Hawaii. the Goddess Pele does not take lightly to having her island carted away by visitors after the many thousands of years she has taken to build the islands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele_(Goddess) !!!

Never ever bring home any lava from Hawaii. The US Post Office in Hawaii recieves several thousand rocks every year that are sent to them from visitors who took the rocks from the islands.

Do you guys think it is against any laws or such to bring a rock home as a souvenir for my grandma? I'm not sure why she wants one she just asked me to bring her an ocean rock back from my trip. Would I get into alott of trouble or is it okay for me to do?:confused:

I wouldn't if I was you. You need to read about the bad luck people have had from taking lava rocks from hawaii.

http://volcanogallery.com/lavarock.htm

http://volcanogallery.com/lavarock2003.htm

Fred

When we were on our Hawaii cruise security took sand, shells and rocks from people. They told us it was against "agricultural laws" to take it out of Hawaii. That being said, if you want to take some sand or a rock back to the ship...you might have to smuggle it in your pocket.

My husband likes to collect things from places he visits. We've brought back many shells and some rocks from our various trips. Most places will let you take non-living shells. Sometimes even non-living shells smell really bad. You can soak them in bleach to reduce the smell. A lot of time in the sun will do the same thing. We always bring large ziplock bags to contain the smell. Generally several bags sealed over a shell will contain the smell until you get home, unless it is particularly bad. We have never had a problem with customs. However more than once we have been slowed in the security line because the items were so dense they couldn't tell what they were in the xray. We had to take them out of the bag, then once they saw what they were it was no problem. Personally, I have no inclination to bring this stuff home. It's a lot of bother. I'd rather get a t-shirt.

One other thing, in some ports the port authority searches your bags upon returning to the ship. If the country did have laws about removing natural items from the island, this would be the place they'd see it. I don't think the ships security cares.

He had an entire pail filled with sand in his bag :D

HEY, my husband was trying to fill our kids sandbox with exotic sand. Our kids are the only ones in the neighborhood that has a sandbox filled with sand from the Bahamas, Mexico, and the Caribbean!

Im kidding!:D What was that guy thinking? Did his kid scream and yell they wanted to take the sand home? If so, a swat on the behind would have taken care of that matter. :rolleyes:

When we were in Hawaii they told us not to take any rocks home with us. They told us it will bring bad luck if we did. So we did not take any home.

Sorry to post twice. Mispelled bad....must be having a bad day.LOL

It is not against the law...I checked on my last cruise just to make sure because I take sand from a beach at every port. It asks if you are brining soil back into the states, but then lists souvenir sand as an exception to the rule and that it is OK.

And let's not forget the risk of bringing home 'cursed rocks' from the islands.

You wouldn't want to do that to grandma, would you?

That was funny! :D

There'd be less impact if you brought a rock with you from home to trade?!?!? :D

The solution man!!

Never ever bring home any lava from Hawaii. The US Post Office in Hawaii recieves several thousand rocks every year that are sent to them from visitors who took the rocks from the islands.

Why would they send them back? The bad luck?

I took a brick home from London. It was just a loose brick in the sidewalk. The only problem I had was with security; they wouldn't let me take in in my carryon backpack; I had to check it. They said that it could be used as a weapon :rolleyes: Come on now; do I look like the kind of woman who would do that?:p

I did bring a small rock back from atop the glacier that we landed on during our helicopter flight to a glacier. We had extrodinary weather and got to land on a portion of the Chilkat Glacier about 7,000' in altitude. There was quite a bit of rock and dirt riding the top of the glacier and our pilot assurred us it was OK to bring back a small rock.

Please don't take the rocks home. Here in Arizona, the Petrified Forest was being picked clean by tourists who only wanted to take a small piece home. Now there are laws against it. I agree with the earlier poster "Take only pictures and leave only footprints". Just my two cents.

I did bring a small rock back from atop the glacier that we landed on during our helicopter flight to a glacier. We had extrodinary weather and got to land on a portion of the Chilkat Glacier about 7,000' in altitude. There was quite a bit of rock and dirt riding the top of the glacier and our pilot assurred us it was OK to bring back a small rock.

Just for clarification, I am a scuba diver and do not touch, let alone bring home, coral or aquatic life. Nor, as an Arizona resident, have I taken anything from the Petrified Forest, any historic ruins, or anything else. However, a small rock (out of many) riding along a moving glacier was deemed to be acceptable by our tour guide. It is 1/4 the size of my palm and appears to be granite. It is simply a memento of the glacier and it's power and majesty and I assure you that it will not diminish the beauty of that glacier for anyone else who may get to that spot in the future.

HEY, my husband was trying to fill our kids sandbox with exotic sand. Our kids are the only ones in the neighborhood that has a sandbox filled with sand from the Bahamas, Mexico, and the Caribbean!

Im kidding!:D What was that guy thinking? Did his kid scream and yell they wanted to take the sand home? If so, a swat on the behind would have taken care of that matter. :rolleyes:

The guy's excuse to the TSA agent was that he was from Kansas, and he'd never seen sand that white before, so he wanted to show it off to his co-workers. They did let him take it on the plane, though...

Archived