Diving questions

MoneyGuy

I won't have dived for a year and will be cruising in March and want to dive in the Carribean. Might I be refused the right to dive because I haven't gone down for over a year? Also, anyone encountered a shark under water? Do you feel it's safe?

Shoukdn't be a problem, just remember to bring your c-card. The better question is do you feel comfortable with that long in between dives? If not, I would recommend a refresher course with your LDS before you go.

Sharks in the Caribbean are not a worry. Most you encounter, if at all, will be reef sharks. They are not a problem. Enjoy your trip.

DSAO - Dive Safely And Often

I wasn't speaking of sharks in the Caribbean, just sharks in general. Are they dangerous? My diving instructor says they're no worry.

Listen to your dive instructor, he is correct. Actually, consider yourself lucky if you see one.

A refresher definitely a good idea. I don't think you will be denied service, but you'd be well off to tell the DM that you haven't been diving in over a year.

I am wondering why you are worried about sharks....

If you haven't a lot of recent dives, do something straight foward- for example, Coki Beach in St Thomas, is a good place to do a shore dive to the house reef.

A c-card is forever. It's up to you to stay within your limits, or do a refresher if you are really in doubt.

If you haven't a lot of recent dives, do something straight foward- for example, Coki Beach in St Thomas, is a good place to do a shore dive to the house reef.

A c-card is forever. It's up to you to stay within your limits, or do a refresher if you are really in doubt.

That is a knowledgeable response. emot-nod.gif

I wasn't afraid of sharks. I don't think that sharks are much of a risk unde water and a friend thinks I'm nuts. I was just trying to get my point of view confirmed, is all.

I wasn't afraid of sharks. I don't think that sharks are much of a risk unde water and a friend thinks I'm nuts. I was just trying to get my point of view confirmed, is all.

You are correct and your friend is a victim of too much "Shark Week" on the Discovery channel.

The better question is do you feel comfortable with that long in between dives? If not, I would recommend a refresher course with your LDS before you go.

Hi,

I agree with this. My local dive center does pool work at the local school almost every weekend and there's always someone there doing a "check out" with them. I know my dive center, for a fee, will put a dive master in the pool with you to give the diver a second set of eyes to make sure they're ready to go in the water again and to go over dive buddy checks, mask clearing, equalization and bouyancy, etc. Plus you get to get in the water in a safe environment with no pressure to "remember" all the little things. Consider this, might make that memorable dive on the cruise that much better. :)

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from crnival destiny (review coming) and I was in the same situation - I hadn't been under water for a couple of years.

In Dominica, i found an operator that ended up just me and him. (nature island) I am sure he wouldn't have sent me away (and lost my money) because it had been a while. If needed, I am sure he would have done some refresher skills before heading too deep.

As it turned out, it was so easy - everything came right back to me. Fantastic views in Dominica!!!

On a dive in st lucia, it was with a group of people, (dive fair helen) some new, some very experienced. as a group, we ran through some basic skills etc and the dive profile on the boat before diving in.

I would think as long as the dive master knows your skill level, and your comfort level, you shouldn't have a problem. I have found in my limited diving experience that most of your fellow divers will go out of their way to help you out, so that everone has a good time. Just don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Chris

Our dive center will do a short (2 hour or so) pool refresher for a small fee. They sign your log book so you have proof that you have been checked out. It's worth the peace of mind!

Hummm.... Unless I ask for a dedicated dive master, my dive shop allows anyone to come to the pool while they're doing training classes to do a refresher for free. They'll help you gear up and watch you while you're practicing (and sign your dive log). In fact, the last time I was with them in the pool, a woman was doing a refresher and lost the diamond out of her engagement ring. One of the dive masters searched for 15 minutes on the bottom of the pool, and found it! Now that's a dive center that takes service to heart. :)

Randall

I just returned from crnival destiny (review coming) and I was in the same situation - I hadn't been under water for a couple of years.

In Dominica, i found an operator that ended up just me and him. (nature island) I am sure he wouldn't have sent me away (and lost my money) because it had been a while. If needed, I am sure he would have done some refresher skills before heading too deep.

As it turned out, it was so easy - everything came right back to me. Fantastic views in Dominica!!!

On a dive in st lucia, it was with a group of people, (dive fair helen) some new, some very experienced. as a group, we ran through some basic skills etc and the dive profile on the boat before diving in.

I would think as long as the dive master knows your skill level, and your comfort level, you shouldn't have a problem. I have found in my limited diving experience that most of your fellow divers will go out of their way to help you out, so that everone has a good time. Just don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Chris

How did you like Dominica, I spent one week there last July and we dove evryday, I can still see those beautiful walls when I close my eyes.Carl

Dominica has bubbled up to the top of my (very short) list, which includes cancun and now st lucia. Also much better than the stone quarries here in indiana.

The diving was awesome. Would love to go back and see more, but from what I saw of the rest of the island, I am not sure I would want to spend a week there.

Archived