What's the earliest we could be at FLL after our cruise?

We're not first time cruisers but we're first time RCI cruisers and first time cruisers out of Port Everglades and I'm wondering what's the earliest we could make it to FLL after our cruise in December on the Navigator?

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I'm getting an error message with the search function and I've read back through about 12 pages of threads and I only found one post about it and that person that said they carried their own bags, were off the ship by 6:40 and sitting at the gate at 7:30 for a 9:10 a.m. flight.

I have two flight options, one leaves at 9:00 a.m but the other doesn't leave until 2:45 in the afternoon, I would really like the early flight. We're going on a shorter cruise so carrying our bags off the ship ourselves wouldn't be an issue.

We're not first time cruisers but we're first time RCI cruisers and first time cruisers out of Port Everglades and I'm wondering what's the earliest we could make it to FLL after our cruise in December on the Navigator?

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I'm getting an error message with the search function and I've read back through about 12 pages of threads and I only found one post about it and that person that said they carried their own bags, were off the ship by 6:40 and sitting at the gate at 7:30 for a 9:10 a.m. flight.

I have two flight options, one leaves at 9:00 a.m but the other doesn't leave until 2:45 in the afternoon, I would really like the early flight. We're going on a shorter cruise so carrying our bags off the ship ourselves wouldn't be an issue.

It is only 10-15 minutes by taxi from Port Everglades to FLL [you can see your ship from the airport]. If you are first off there should be no line waiting for taxis, and you should be able to get one right away. You SHOULD be able to make a 9am flight assuming that the ship docks on time [which it usually does]. I would advise however that you check the airline policy concerning what your status will be if you miss the flight [eg will they accommodate you later on stand-by status, or will you have to buy a FULL FARE ticket]. Good luck!

My personal experience. They closed the port when we docked and couldn't get off the ship until 11:oo. We have been delayed two other times by thier periodic immigration inspections of the entier crew. So I would not book a flight at 9:00. Others have made it fine though so I would just suggest checking with the airline like the above poster said. Good luck.

Hi,

I know its a pain to hang around the airport, but 9am is way too close...We had an experience where someone on the ship did not clear, and we were not let off till 9am... In addition the extra security and the lines that go with that security can back you up as well. Better safe than sorry!

What's the earliest flight you COULD make? About 9 AM -- maybe.

What is the earliest flight it is SAFE to book so you are pretty sure that you WILL make it? About 1 PM.

The ship usually offers some nice disembarkation tours. You can take an airboat to the Everglades or something. Usually those are for late afternoon flights.

Have a GREAT cruise!

The ship usually offers some nice disembarkation tours. You can take an airboat to the Everglades or something.

We've done the Everglades tour after our return from a previous cruise and I looked through the RCI disembarkation tours and there really isn't anything else that interests me too much...although they might interest me more if taking the later flight wasn't going to get us home until 1 a.m.:D

I know we'd be taking a chance booking the 9:00 a.m. flight, I'll call the airline and see what their policy is if we were to miss the flight and I'll make a decision from there.

Thanks for the replies everyone, much appreciated.;)

Last year we had a later flight out of Miami so we did the everglades tour to kill some time when we got to the airport (it was Feb) and all flights had been cancelled for 2 days due to east coast storm if we would have gotten the earlier flight we would have beaten the storm to make a long story short try for the earlier flight and hope for the best. We rented a car and drove home:(

In December we carried our own luggage and were off the Enchantment by 8:30 and at the airport before 9:00. We made our 10:00 flight with plenty of time to spare. I personally wouldn't book a 9:00 am flight from FLL. We've never been off a ship at Port Everglades before 8:30. It's not like Miami.

Last year we had a later flight out of Miami so we did the everglades tour to kill some time when we got to the airport (it was Feb) and all flights had been cancelled for 2 days due to east coast storm if we would have gotten the earlier flight we would have beaten the storm to make a long story short try for the earlier flight and hope for the best. We rented a car and drove home:(

That's exactly what happened to us after a Jan cruise out of Miami in 05!! We planned an afternoon flight so we took the Everglades tour but ended up being stuck in Florida for 3 days when all the flights to the northeast were canceled, we had to rent a car to get a flight out of Orlando rather than MIA otherwise we would have been there another day (and it was the coldest 3 days they'd had in 2 years so it was no fun being "stuck" there). That was our first cruise and the first time we had purchased trip insurance, fortunately!!

Some friends of ours tried that and it didn't work out so well. The ship didn't clear as quickly as normal and they got to the airport and through security just in time to see their plane pull away. We had a 1:00 flight and beat them home.

I'd say it depends on how badly you need to get home that day. If you miss the 9:00 flight, there's no guarantee you'll get on the 2:45 flight (or any other one that day).

Do what we did. Book the later flight and then pay the $25 pp charge to standby for the earlier flight. We did it on miles and our only return option was 6:40 AM or 7:30pm. We were at the airport gate and stood by for a 10AM flight. Best $75 we spent all week.

I agree with Flagger... you just never know what could delay you getting you getting off the ship on time. Book later, hope to stand by earlier.

The other thing about Port Everglades is - what day of the week do you arrive? If it's a peak day there (6 or more ships at once) then getting a taxi out could be a slower process than you would like. If NOTS is the only, or one of the only, ships in that day, then no big deal for that part of it.

You can see what ships are in at cruisecal (I think). Broward county's web pages for the port also have cruise ship calendars.

Do what we did. Book the later flight and then pay the $25 pp charge to standby for the earlier flight. We did it on miles and our only return option was 6:40 AM or 7:30pm. We were at the airport gate and stood by for a 10AM flight. Best $75 we spent all week.

That's a great idea, I hadn't thought of that, I need to call JetBlue and find out what their standby policy is.

I'm definitely leaning towards a later flight. I've been on several cruises and you're all giving me the same advice I would probably be giving another cruiser.:) DH and I will both have to work the next day and DD will have to go to school so I'm just trying to find a way to get us home at a reasonable hour (which I know won't do us any good if we miss our flight:rolleyes: ). I'm also looking at Airtran flights to/from Boston which has better flight times than JetBlue out of Portland. I've never flown Airtran but I may book their early afternoon flight which would get us home at 10 pm rather than 1 am if we fly JB to Portland.

Jet Blue is definitely a far friendlier experience - people wise and seating wise... but AirTran gets the job done, just with 2-4 inches less leg room. I've flew them home to Boston last year... The only weird thing was that on each flight, someone had to be removed from the plane. One for being so drunk he could not stand up very well, and another who was removed by authorities upon landing... I've flown tens of thousands of miles and those were firsts for me :)

Don't forget Southwest out of Manchester. They have a direct ONE STOP (no changing planes) to and from FLL out of MHT. Don't know your exact travel dates but they have an 11:45am on Sunday December 9.

I LOVED flying out of MHT when we lived NW of Boston. So much easier.

Don't forget Southwest out of Manchester. They have a direct ONE STOP (no changing planes) to and from FLL out of MHT. Don't know your exact travel dates but they have an 11:45am on Sunday December 9.

I LOVED flying out of MHT when we lived NW of Boston. So much easier.

We typically fly SW out of MHT but their prices are a lot higher than JB and AirTran right now for our dates and I don't think I want to push my luck waiting for a DING fare...but thanks for the suggestion!!:)

Archived