NCL Bad Customer Service / Compensation

op1

Ok just got back and wanted to give everyone a quick update.

In the long run NCL as you folks have already posted, did the right (fair) thing. Overall we made the best of it and had a good time.

I will post a review and critique once I get settled in and caught up on emails.

OP1

Ok just got back and wanted to give everyone a quick update.

In the long run NCL as you folks have already posted, did the right (fair) thing. Overall we made the best of it and had a good time.

I will post a review and critique once I get settled in and caught up on emails.

OP1

Welcome back. Look forward to your review.

See how attitude can get you through so much!:cool:

John

[quote name='Casshew']That's not much good when you say you'll never sail with them again. ;)[/quote]

Thanks for stopping by to take an unwarranted pot shot. You quoted something this person said out of frustration before their cruise even started.

Their last post stated:

[B][I] "Ok just got back and wanted to give everyone a quick update.
I will post a review and critique once I get settled in and caught up on emails."[/I][/B]

Now why don't we sit back and wait to see what they have to say. Or do you just feel the need to stir the pot on a board that you very rarely visit.:mad:

John

[quote name='op1']We (10 of us) were scheduled to leave tomorrow out of NY on the Crown for 7 nights to Bermuda. We were contacted last night that the ship had maintenance issues. Our cruise will now leave a day late, be cut short one day and eliminate one port. NCL advised us that our compensation would be a 1/7th credit issued as a room credit, (not a refund) and 10% of our next cruise.

I find that the room credit is not acceptable since we will lose what we don't use. What kind a rip off / scam is that!! So my trip gets shortened and they want to keep the money? This isn't weather related or an act of god. This is poor management and maintenance on their part.

As far as the 10% discount, unless they do something else to compensate us they can keep it because, we will not be booking on NCL again.

OP1[/quote]

I may have a somewhat different take on this than some others. First and foremost, mechanical failures happen and yes, I would be disappointed to miss a day of my cruise. The cost to me would be minimal since I live near the NYC port.

I believe that NCL's compensation with regard to the fare is well, fair especially since you did come back and say they will refund any of the OBC that you do not use.

Here's the point I differ on. I do believe they should offer some sort of compensation for those who will incur extra costs due to spending another night in NYC. NYC hotels are not cheap and while you can find some good buys as far as food, it is an extra expense that many people did not plan for. Some people do not have the luxury of budgeting an extra $300 or more for another night in NYC.

Changing flights at the last minute is not always an option and people will incur costs for that also. Between the change fee and the difference if the fare, it can be substantial.

[quote name='TPEINC1958']

Now why don't we sit back and wait to see what they have to say. Or do you just feel the need to stir the pot on a board that you very rarely visit.:mad:

[/quote]

I visit this forum constantly :)

I post rarely, but in this case warranted, to point out that no matter what the compensation, if someone has their knickers in a bunch, they are not going to sail with a company they feel screwed up their holiday. I wouldn't - I agree with the OP. 1/7th was not enough.

[quote name='op1']Ok just got back and wanted to give everyone a quick update.

OP1[/QUOTE]Thanks for coming back. We look forward to your review whether positive or otherwise. Sometimes it is hard to say, guess what? Your were right. I am anxious to hear the details.

Nita

[quote name='Casshew']I visit this forum constantly :)

I post rarely, but in this case warranted, to point out that no matter what the compensation, if someone has their knickers in a bunch, they are not going to sail with a company they feel screwed up their holiday. I wouldn't - I agree with the OP. 1/7th was not enough.[/quote]

That's not what NCL ultimately did. They gave back 50% and a future credit. That was done a day later. if the ship had sailed only a day late, they probably would have given a minor OBC. but since it was two days they ultimately allowed people either to cancel or take the shortened cruise at 50% off with a future credit....which is fair.

[quote name='Casshew']I visit this forum constantly :)

I post rarely, but in this case warranted, to point out that no matter what the compensation, if someone has their knickers in a bunch, they are not going to sail with a company they feel screwed up their holiday. I wouldn't - I agree with the OP. 1/7th was not enough.[/quote]

Why didn't you quote my whole post?????

This poster had a number of complaints prior to leaving on their cruise and those were hashed out then.

OP came back and stated that they had a good time and would tell us about it soon.

You come in and try to re-stir things up and I ask why and you misquote me!:confused:

John

[quote name='op1']>>What do you think would be "fair" compensation?<<<

I expect that they would have done either the same thing the airlines do, maybe not a bump ticket but since we are losing 1 of 3 nights then a
24% to 30% discount on a future trip.

[....][/quote]
Don't give the airlines too much credit: their compensation is mandated by law. I bet we'd only get a free bag of peanuts if it were not!

[quote name='LaJollaCruiser']Don't give the airlines too much credit: their compensation is mandated by law. I bet we'd only get a free bag of peanuts if it were not![/quote]

Maybe the goverment should do the same to crusie ships porting in American cities?

Archived