NCL Bad Customer Service / Compensation

op1

We (10 of us) were scheduled to leave tomorrow out of NY on the Crown for 7 nights to Bermuda. We were contacted last night that the ship had maintenance issues. Our cruise will now leave a day late, be cut short one day and eliminate one port. NCL advised us that our compensation would be a 1/7th credit issued as a room credit, (not a refund) and 10% of our next cruise.

I find that the room credit is not acceptable since we will lose what we don't use. What kind a rip off / scam is that!! So my trip gets shortened and they want to keep the money? This isn't weather related or an act of god. This is poor management and maintenance on their part.

As far as the 10% discount, unless they do something else to compensate us they can keep it because, we will not be booking on NCL again.

OP1

Well they will probably save the 10% cause I doubt they will do much else. If a flight is cancelled and you are notified in advance, they will not do anything for you. NCL isn't being rediculous, (spelling) you are. To call this a scam is almost a joke. Of course you are not happy, nor would I be, but fixing some of these mechanical problems aren't as easy as some of you think. It isn't like dropping the Ford off at Jiffy Lube for an hour or so. BTW, you have mentioned some will spend as many as 3 days in NYC< is that the fault of NCL? And the insurance question? Did you answered it? I have been reading all the responsse, haven't seen your answer, did I miss it?

m I showing I am a NCL loyalist right now, maybe, but to expect some compensation more than what is being offered isn't going to happen.

Nita

I am not on the ship but I would be quite upset myself, Should be offered the option to cancel with full refund or be little more generous with the future cruise credit and SB credit.

Cancel with full refund< you can't be serious? Any idea the financual loss if this was an option? Well maybe it wouldn't be that great because not a handfull would cancel. BTW, this is another reason for insurance.

Nita

And the insurance question? Did you answered it? I have been reading all the responsse, haven't seen your answer, did I miss it?

No Nita, he didn't get travel insurance. So rather than kick himself, NCL is an easy target. :rolleyes:

Hinesight is 20/20 I didn't take out travel insurance. I tend to count on the people I do business with to deliver and make good on their services.

OP1

To Tommy and all those who offered support as well as those who are in the same boat. (all pun intended)

Thanks!!.

I will sum it up this way. I came here to post and let everyone know my feelings on NCLs stand. Some will think NCLs stand is fair, (1/7th of the fare not to include port charges and taxes). That is great for them and they will not be upset when it happens to them. Some like I will not be happy with what we feel is a less then adequate offer. The great thing about this country and the internet is that it gives us a place and the freedom to voice our opinions. (from both perspective)

As of tonight between this an a few other boards over 2000 people have read these post. That’s a lot of word of mouth. If just one person (lurker) changes their mind and books with another line because they wouldn’t like to find themselves in the same spot so be it.

As a business man and a consumer there is nothing more that I would like to do than to eat crow and post that NCL did the right thing by me. I was on a Radisson cruise several years ago that had engine problems. We were issued the right credit and given 50% off our next cruise. I guess you get what you pay for.

As of now I will put my laptop to bed and hope we actually do set sail tomorrow.

Good night and calm seas to all.

OP1

Hinesight is 20/20 I didn't take out travel insurance. I tend to count on the people I do business with to deliver and make good on their services.

OP1

No offense, but that's not a good enough reason to decline travel insurance.

What would you do if someone in your family died? If you became injured or seriously ill? These things can happen to anyone, any age, any time.

NCL should be compensating people who expected to board the ship and now have to find a hotel room for that night. Anyone we has stayed in NYC knows there are no such thing as reasonable rates. $250-$300 minimum -if you can find one at this short notice. This is the unfair part....NCL leaving passengers stranded with no place to go....at no fault of the passenger. Cruise insurance or not.

Also, 1 day lost wouldn't bother me much - but I take 3 to 4 cruises a year as well as a couple of land vacations. But to someone that works all year - or 2 years - for 1 vacation - that 1 day is a big deal.

So I think we need to show some compassion.

NCL is wrong for not either a) being able to let passengers board the ship or b) have a hotel room for them or c) compensate for what has to be paid for the room that someone has to purchase because they cannot get on the ship.

Kathy

Wow I would really love to do business with some of the people who are so understanding.

So far between the hotel in NYC cab fares & dinners, I am way into it more than the 10% I would be getting if I ever chose to do business again with NCL. Oh yea I now lost the day I had scheduled to play golf. slight inconvenience. Who cares its my vacation.

I can see that I am being unreasonable expecting from the cruise line what I would get from an airline. When an airline canceled a flight for mechanical reasons they usually put you up overnight in a hotel, give you a voucher for meals and a bump ticket. I guess some folks would see that as unnecessary.

BTW when I was on Radisson a few years back and they experienced mechanical issues they gave us a 50% coupon for the next trip. I guess its true you get what you pay for.

Op1

I don't think you're being unreasonable, per se. I am not in your shoes and have no intention of judging what you do or do not think is fair.

However, I must take issue with your comparison to airlines as far as current practices. Yes, in the past, you could almost always count on a hotel voucher, meal voucher, and to get on the next available flight (or some combination depending on the length and type of delay). In fact, we have gotten that type of compensation before. In the past, cruise lines were smaller, cruise ships were smaller, and it was easier to accomodate pax when something like a technical problem happened. Certainly, cruise lines were far more likely to offer compensation. I do not think it is unnecessary; I think it is only fair. Unfortunately, what I think doesn't change things, and what one person thinks is fair is not necessarily the same thing as what another person thinks is fair.

BUT, skip forward...Today? Are you kidding? The delays and problems with air travel this summer are legendary. Thousands of pax stranded at airports, no hotel vouchers, no meal vouchers, and no available flights (they certainly aren't going to bump other pax for delayed pax). It's one reason I'm glad that my DH and I rarely, if ever, fly during peak times (and in fact, not at all in the past several months).

I do think that the cruise line should have refunded the 1/7 cruise fare directly to the pax CC (or however they paid); I do think that a small OBC (say, $25 to $50 p/p) would be a smart gesture; certainly, a discount off a future cruise (perhaps 20%) is a reasonable "we're sorry" as well. The thing is that I believe there are pax who wouldn't be happy unless the cruise line refunded the entire cruise fair and offered a free cruise in the future to make up for the missed day(s).

I also don't believe that it is the cruise line's responsibility to take care of every single expense you might incur because of the delay. That's what travel insurance is for. The cruise contracts (whether we like them or not) are pretty specific about the cruise line's responsibilities. Yes, it's usually small print, but it's still our responsibility to read them. (And I'm NOT saying I agree with all the contract clauses; I don't. But, we can either accept them or not cruise.)

Also, the fact that it's a mechanical problem is likely not something NCL had "control" over any more than weather or airline delays. Certainly, if they put off needed maintenance and if they knew this was a problem, then I feel they should do much more for the pax. But to say that because it's a mechanical problem, then NCL must be to "blame" somehow is stretching it a bit.

Most of the cruise lines could use some lessons in "penny wise, pound foolish" customer service practices. It would be far more wise to invest a bit of "we're sorry" money now to net more "NCL did right by us" cruising later.

beachchick

Talk about compensation, take a look at this

The Coast Guard evacuated the terminal at Jaxport Saturday afternoon at about 12:45 PM because of a bomb scare. A bomb-sniffing dog came across something suspicious and a bomb squad was brough to the scene to investigate. During that time, no one was being allowed to board and people already on the ship were not allowed off. Shortly after 6PM, the problem wasidentified (the dogs had singled out some bags later found to contain some type of heart medication. The ship had been scheduled to depart at 4PM, heading to Key West and Nassau, Bahamas for a five-day cruise. A statement from Carnival said the cruise was expected to leave at 10 p.m. and passengers were given a $15 ship credit for their trouble.

WOW $15.00 ship credit!

NCL should be compensating people who expected to board the ship and now have to find a hotel room for that night. Anyone we has stayed in NYC knows there are no such thing as reasonable rates. $250-$300 minimum -if you can find one at this short notice. This is the unfair part....NCL leaving passengers stranded with no place to go....at no fault of the passenger. Cruise insurance or not.

NCL is wrong for not either a) being able to let passengers board the ship or b) have a hotel room for them or c) compensate for what has to be paid for the room that someone has to purchase because they cannot get on the ship.

Kathy

There are cruises where the fares are that low, do you really expect NCL to give away the price for an entire cruise? There is insurance available that will cover ships departing late. NCL shouldn't be required to cover such expenses, and if they did, they would probably have to raise fares twice as high.

While it wasn't the fault of the passengers abandoned, it wasn't the fault of NCL either. The baggage example wasn't either.

In September of 2004, we sailed the relocation of the CArnival Paradise and we were delayed one day because of Hurricane Francis. We also missed Aruba because of the delay. They gave us $250 pp onboard credit and 25% off future cruise. With what we paid it ended up being about 20% of our total fare for a 15 day cruise. They did the same dollar amount across the board independant of state room and cost of cruise. Several people on our Roll Call were not happy about the credit, they wanted much more. Myself I was extremely happy, &500 more in my room to drink with :)

I have read through this whole thread and can completely understand the OP's frustration. But I can also understand the others frustrations. There were many questions that went unanswered. I also found it very interesting that the regular "Cheerleader" bashers brought up the term Cheerleaders again. I did not see any "cheerleader" activity, I just saw a number of people asking questions to try and achieve clarity and understand *****!

The OP thinks he is getting screwed by NCL crediting his money to an OBC. Maybe he is the type that does not spend much on board. Don't know because he won't answer questions. He will probably go through the 1/7 money and then some. Right now he is frustrated, hopefully he will get on board and get into his vacation and not stew about this. If he does stew about it he will be back with a "Cruise from Hell" diatribe. At least he won't be an OPW.

Also, the fact that it's a mechanical problem is likely not something NCL had "control" over any more than weather or airline delays. Certainly, if they put off needed maintenance and if they knew this was a problem, then I feel they should do much more for the pax. But to say that because it's a mechanical problem, then NCL must be to "blame" somehow is stretching it a bit.

beachchick

The Crown was sold to Fred Olsen cruises last year. NCL is operating her under charter. Doesn't seem like NCL is responsible for the cost of repairs or her engine maintenance.

Also, 1 day lost wouldn't bother me much - but I take 3 to 4 cruises a year as well as a couple of land vacations. But to someone that works all year - or 2 years - for 1 vacation - that 1 day is a big deal.

Kathy

Oh Boy! Do I agree with you!

In September of 2004, we sailed the relocation of the CArnival Paradise and we were delayed one day because of Hurricane Francis. We also missed Aruba because of the delay. They gave us $250 pp onboard credit and 25% off future cruise. With what we paid it ended up being about 20% of our total fare for a 15 day cruise. They did the same dollar amount across the board independant of state room and cost of cruise. Several people on our Roll Call were not happy about the credit, they wanted much more. Myself I was extremely happy, &500 more in my room to drink with :)

That is far more than NCL offered to OP1

That is far more than NCL offered to OP1

But since they missed Aruba, on a Repo cruise, US Customs may have charged an additional $300 per person. That's the reason the on-board credit was so high. Whether US Customs did or did not probably depended upon how generous they wished to be. If they charged an additional $300, the $250 on board credit was wiped out, and your account could have seen an additional $50 charge.

I hope you got all your refund.......but you may had not.

I don't think you're being unreasonable, per se. I am not in your shoes and have no intention of judging what you do or do not think is fair.

However, I must take issue with your comparison to airlines as far as current practices. Yes, in the past, you could almost always count on a hotel voucher, meal voucher, and to get on the next available flight (or some combination depending on the length and type of delay). In fact, we have gotten that type of compensation before. In the past, cruise lines were smaller, cruise ships were smaller, and it was easier to accomodate pax when something like a technical problem happened. Certainly, cruise lines were far more likely to offer compensation. I do not think it is unnecessary; I think it is only fair. Unfortunately, what I think doesn't change things, and what one person thinks is fair is not necessarily the same thing as what another person thinks is fair.

BUT, skip forward...Today? Are you kidding? The delays and problems with air travel this summer are legendary. Thousands of pax stranded at airports, no hotel vouchers, no meal vouchers, and no available flights (they certainly aren't going to bump other pax for delayed pax). It's one reason I'm glad that my DH and I rarely, if ever, fly during peak times (and in fact, not at all in the past several months).

I do think that the cruise line should have refunded the 1/7 cruise fare directly to the pax CC (or however they paid); I do think that a small OBC (say, $25 to $50 p/p) would be a smart gesture; certainly, a discount off a future cruise (perhaps 20%) is a reasonable "we're sorry" as well. The thing is that I believe there are pax who wouldn't be happy unless the cruise line refunded the entire cruise fair and offered a free cruise in the future to make up for the missed day(s).

I also don't believe that it is the cruise line's responsibility to take care of every single expense you might incur because of the delay. That's what travel insurance is for. The cruise contracts (whether we like them or not) are pretty specific about the cruise line's responsibilities. Yes, it's usually small print, but it's still our responsibility to read them. (And I'm NOT saying I agree with all the contract clauses; I don't. But, we can either accept them or not cruise.)

Most of the cruise lines could use some lessons in "penny wise, pound foolish" customer service practices. It would be far more wise to invest a bit of "we're sorry" money now to net more "NCL did right by us" cruising later.

beachchick

penny wise pound foolish customer service would enter into the picture if the ships were going out 1/2 empty, but they are going out full or close every sailing. I guess the part I don't get, is what do the few people and they are just a few who are complaining expect NCL to do?

Nita

Hmmmm, I am rethinking this. I did not know you were stranded in NYC (or do you live nearby?) The HD on the ship may not be able to help get your money reimbursed. Only the Miami office will probably have the authority to make that decision.

If you were stranded and had to find hotel rooms on such short notice, then I recommend collecting the receipts, taking your time after sailing, and writing to NCL requesting reimbursement for them. The only thing in your favor is getting the news one day prior to your sailing. As mentioned before, this will take time and patience on your part. Do you have either?

I usually suggest people give any situation time to get worked out. You were expecting immediate results on a weekend.

I ask again what the other nine people think...were they all galavanting and having a great time in the city while you were stewing on the internet all day? If yes, then they will not be able to help your situation. If no, and they too are mad, then I suggest you craft your letter together as there is strength in numbers.

If your only intention was to get as many internet viewers to know your unhappiness to an unresolved situation, then I say you accomplished your mission. Now go have a great cruise! If I see you posting throughout your vacation, then you will lose any empathy I currently have for you!

Best wishes,

Coka

P.S. You are supposed to buy everyone a drink back at the clubhouse if you get a hole-in-one...

Just read on the other post that you are not leaving until Tuesday and NCL gave a new offer to its passengers. OP, do you think that offer is acceptable or not?

Coka

"As a result of this schedule change, NCL is now extending a 50 percent refund of the cruise fare paid and a 20 percent future cruise credit (based on the fare paid for this cruise) toward a future cruise with NCL. NCL will also be refunding government taxes and fees of approximately $34 to the guest's on-board folio. If a guest prefers not to sail, NCL will, of course, provide a full refund of the cruise fare paid plus all applicable taxes."

Personally, I think this is more along the lines of what the original offer of compensation should have been.

It is unclear from the latest press release if people are actually been allowed to board since it says the ship is otherwise operational: "Norwegian Crown is fully operational with all of the ship's restaurants, lounges, entertainment venues and spa open for passenger use, while the ship is alongside." If not, people are looking at a hotel bill in the neighborhood of $400+ total for two nights at hotel rack rates.

This seems to be a habit with NCL. I was told on the second day of a cruise that the itinerary was changed, everyone else was given a letter in Dover before embarking, I had to go ask why I did not have my tour vouchers, booked online. The comment was that my husband had the letter, wrong, single solo cruiser!

It was a rotten cruise, "engine problems". I wrote and complained, all I wanted was an apology, all I got was. " Too bad, so sad". Then a letter hoping I would join NCL for another cruise soon. I responded to that, in a nice notelet and I got the apology with a slight discount off my next cruise.

I did take the next cruise, different ship & crew and it was wonderful.

I really don't mean to sound smug, but it the ports are the main interest, why not just fly to them? Aren't you cruising, because you love cruising?

NCL (or any cruise line) is hardly going to refund much more than what you lost, unless it's a major situation. This is hardly major.

The reason many people, including myself cruise is that is less than half the cost of a land vacation. To fly to Bermuda costs about $650 per person, the hotel is $200-$300 per night and you realistically have to budget about $100 a day or more for food. The land/air package would probably end up in the neighborhood of $3500 to $5000 depending on how upscale you eat and sleep. Compare this price to the $1430 we are paying for our oceanview on the ship. My wife would prefer to fly, and not have to bother with the sea days. The issue is always, money, the differential is so large that the cruise is tough to beat. This itinerary is a port intensive trip, 3 1/2 days in Bermuda. Losing one of those days is pretty major to me as it is why some people tolerate the sea days just to get to Bermuda. Last year, because of high winds, the Majesty left Bermuda early Thursday evening. We had to cancel all of our dining and clubbing plans for Thursday and an excursion we had planned for Friday morning. Everyone aboard was upset but weather is unpredictable so you just have to adjust. We also received a measly $7 credit for our trip being abbreviated with short notice. I think overall the original poster is getting a much fairer deal than we got.

"As a result of this schedule change, NCL is now extending a 50 percent refund of the cruise fare paid and a 20 percent future cruise credit (based on the fare paid for this cruise) toward a future cruise with NCL. NCL will also be refunding government taxes and fees of approximately $34 to the guest's on-board folio. If a guest prefers not to sail, NCL will, of course, provide a full refund of the cruise fare paid plus all applicable taxes."

Personally, I think this is more along the lines of what the original offer of compensation should have been.

It is unclear from the latest press release if people are actually been allowed to board since it says the ship is otherwise operational: "Norwegian Crown is fully operational with all of the ship's restaurants, lounges, entertainment venues and spa open for passenger use, while the ship is alongside." If not, people are looking at a hotel bill in the neighborhood of $400+ total for two nights at hotel rack rates.

I think this offer is very fair. It gives every passenger great options. They can simply cancel the cruise and get a full refund or continue at a generous half price cruise. I would almost like to book this cruise at that rate if I could leave at a moments notice like some retired people. Obviously NCL finally came to realize that missing one day in port was a major issue. Saving half of the price of the cruise will definitely cover extra expenses in NYC. Let us know which way you decide to go.

Archived