Which Cruise? Help!

Poxy

I am planning to go on a cruise with a small group in March. There are 3 options that we've narrowed it down to. They are:

1. Royal Caribbean Radianace of the seas (Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman Island, Montego Bay)

2. Costa Fortuna (San Juan, St. Thomas, Catalina Island, Casa de Campo, and Nassau)

3. Carnival Triumph (Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk)

4. Norwegian Dawn (Samana, Tortola, St. Thomas, Grand Stirrup Cay).

Itinerary is the most important factor for us. The second most important factor is that the ship has lots of activities (pool games, nightly shows, etc.). Food options are not very important...as long as it's edible and doesn't make us sick! Any opinions or suggstions would be greatly appreciated! Also, feel free to suggest another cruise!

HMMM is it me or are there 4 options there?????

I would do a poll of the group you are traveling with to see which ports are more important to them.

Cost may be a factor so that may sway your decision.

I think the MAJOR focus on your post is "itinerary is most important for us". What that in mind, this is a decision YOU have to make for yourself. Only you can decide what itinerary you'd like the best. If food and service aren't concerns for you, then anything you pick will be the best for you. We really cannot tell you what to pick because as you said, itinerary is the most important and only you can pick which places you want to see. You can poll 100 people and every answer will be different. People choose their cruises and itineraries for very different reasons. Talk to the people in your group and ALL of you make the decision which ship to pick.

We loved the Radiance! It's a fabulous ship, wonderful food, lots of glass, outstanding crew ... this ship gets rave reviews. And the ports you detailed are also great. (Cozumel is one of our very favorite places in the world! If you're not on a tour, eat at Pancho's Backyard.) If you post this same question under the boards specific to the cruise line, you'll get past passengers opinions of the ships and the ports. Naturally, if you post under the Royal Caribbean board, you'll hear from the die-hard RCI fans (like us!) But, still, I think you'd pick up some valuable information. We've never sailed Costa but our friends didn't care for it at all.

Based on the four options, I would select the Royal Caribbean Radiance first, and the Carnival Triumph second. The other two are not bad options, if those are the preferred itinery. There really is no wrong choice here, you will have a very good time on any cruise.

Is this your first cruise?

We have done Royal Carribean and Carnival before, and personally like Royal Carribean better because they have more activities.

As far as itinerary, you should definitely look through shore excursions or independent activities on each itinerary to see what your group would like to do. Also consider the number of port days for your group; some people may like/not like many at sea days and/or some people may get burnt out or less active during some ports on a 5 ports trip.

Kathy

Don't know when you're sailing in March but I was looking at the same choice of ships, plus considered Princess since we had done a Princess cruise this last March.

I liked Carnival fine but my daughter (then 12 on the Victory) did not. She was too young for the 'teen' group that starts at 15 and the group she was in was boring to her. I also didn't want the Triumph as same as Victory and just wanted newer.

Didn't want to consider NCL. Haven't cruised them before but there are such mixed reviews. I think NCL is a little cheaper.

Radiance is a very nice ship from what I've seen on TV but again, with daughter to be 14, she'll be in the 12-14 group and won't have access to the teen center all the time. (some times are just for 15-17). I also don't like the usual RCL price although I think Radiance may be a little cheaper because it doesn't have the RCL bells and whistles that the new ships have.

So we're back on Princess, Grand Princess 3/22-29/08. It has MUTS (Movies under the Stars)that we both enjoy and the teen group is 13-17 so she doesn't feel like she's stuck in with the little kids. I like the itenary-Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios (don't want to go to Montego Bay), Cozumel, and their private island stop Princess Cay which is a great beach day. There are a lot of activities for adults but not as frenetic as Carnival. Good price, pretty much same as Carnival. I also like the Mini-suites that Princess has on the Grand class ship. Good price for the extra room.

I think no matter what you chose, you can always find something to do and have fun.

Archived