catamaran to St. John (port St. thomas) seating?

vmom

Help...we've decided on the all day catamaran to St. John excursion offered by Princess when we are at St. Thomas.

Need info on the seating on the catamaran. Also, how easy is the ladder to get in and out of the boat with?

Is it just straight flat seating over a tarp like I've seen pictures of, or is it benches? Need info since I don't think I can make it if we're just sitting on a flat tarp or something.

Also, If you get off the catamaran...how easy is it to get back in?

Thanks so much for all info!!!!

For what it is worth, my family did not enjoy this excursion. We do catamarans on every cruise (second one this year alone). Too long a drive to get to the cat. And then there was not the usual seating in front where the girls like to lay and tan.

I did not go on this particular trip with them. but they are experiences cruisers and have many other excursions to compare this one too. All in all, too long a day, too much driving and not a very comfortable cat.

This is one opinion only. I can press them for details, if you like

We did this trip 2 years ago thru Princess. Our cat was the Heavenly Days, so I can only speak for that. There was a cabin that had benches inside were a lot of people sat. Others just kind of lined the deck with their feet hanging over the side. They picked us up right at the dock, so didn't have to drive anywhere. I will say that the trip over to St John was very rough and there were lots of green people by the time we got there. I guess this is pretty common on this excursion but not a lot of people realize it. We had a lot of fun but would probably choose to do the half day sail next time.

We did the 1/2 day catamaran excursion on the Adventurer. Like the previous poster said there were benches to sit and people did sit on the front of the boat with their feet hanging over. It was a 45 minute ride to the catamaran, 45 minute snorkel and another 45 minute ride back in the catamaran and another 45 minute ride to back to the ship. It was a lot of driving time and not much snorkel time. We did not have the greatest weather either. It was pouring when we got off the CB and started to clear on the ride to Honeymoon beach. It again started pouring on the catamaran back but thanks to a fabulous crew and great crowd we all made the best of our trip :). It is easy to get on and off the catamaran, there are a few steps down but there is something for you to hold on to. I did think the ladder to get in & out of the water was tough but I am kind of wimpy!:p Just have your partner help you if need be, you'll be fine!! Enjoy your trip!!

It's not too difficult to board the boat at the dock. If you want to swim or go to the beach at St. John, you might have difficulty. We had an older fellow on board who insisted on going to the beach, yet he could barely walk. The crew did their best with him (above and beyond the call of duty) and it was very nearly a disaster and quite scary for everyone on board.

There is quite a large step up onto the side from the inside of the boat and not much to hang on to. If you aren't very nimble, it might be more than you can manage.

I don't remember doing that exact tour, but we did a sailboat type thing there and it WAS hard getting in and out. There were only 6, maybe 8 people on the boat and you had to climb out of a dingy and climb up a rope ladder to get aboard and get off. Had I know that in advance, I might have chosen differently, so it is good to ask.

Getting in and out of boats when you go snorkeling is something I worry about, too. I once had three men pushing on my bottom trying to get me up a ladder. I can just imagine the view they had. I've lost 50 pounds since then, thank goodness, so it isn't as much of a problem.

Archived